Best 7wt Double handed rod

JJ

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

I've moved some rods out over the years and will only comment regarding what I own and use. My very best caster is only 11 1/2 feet in length but can fish as far as my longer rods if or when I need the additional distance. I can only guess what the same rod may do in a 13 foot or longer model.

So what is the favorite rod? Hardy Swift Mk 2 using a 37 foot Beulah Elixir integrated line. The rod is marked #7 and the line weight is 475 grains. This is the rod I use most because I think it is the best of what I have in house.

When fishing for the kings which can be large experience has taught me to us either my Sage One 13 1/2 foot #8 or the Sage X 14 foot #8. Both of those are good rods but if forced to chose only one it would be the Hardy Swift.

I also have a Winston #7 rod in 15' that I will use on the very largest rivers but it is heavy. Casts well and will cast far but heavy.
I have the Hardy Swift 11”6 #7 and I use a nextcast winter Authority 35 ft head 475 grains line on it. It’s a peach

Balticer

Reaction score
Winston bIIx 13'3" #7/8 is lovely rod. Strong down and sensitive top. Perfect with 500/540grain skagit or 520/560grain long spey line.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Has any one tried any of the sunray rods ? I have one of there lines for my trout rods and it works well and enjoying the daily 1 pm live streams but they do a double handed 12,6 ft 7# or 8#

Neil W

Reaction score
Can’t say I have heard of them

Has any one tried any of the sunray rods ? I have one of there lines for my trout rods and it works well and enjoying the daily 1 pm live streams but they do a double handed 12,6 ft 7# or 8#

Robb76

Reaction score
I would be interested in how you get on with the igniter once we can all fish again
Hi Neil, well had first outing with the 7126 Igniter this morning and pleased to report it's a gem! Fished with a Rio SSVT 8# with a Lamson Micra 5 and it just flew out. Tried various tips and fly's of all sizes and nothing seemed to phase it. I've seen reviews saying you need to have a good casting technique to get the best from this rod and I would have to disagree as my casting can be erratic especially in windy conditions! I can only compare against the Method I used last year and would say it's a little softer than the method and it feels more subtle particularly when casting small flies with a floating line. Didn't manage any salmon on it but had several reasonable trout which put a nice bend in the rod. I normally use the X 8110 switch or X 9140 but I think this rod will be used for the rest of the year.

Neil W

Reaction score
Hi Neil, well had first outing with the 7126 Igniter this morning and pleased to report it's a gem! Fished with a Rio SSVT 8# with a Lamson Micra 5 and it just flew out. Tried various tips and fly's of all sizes and nothing seemed to phase it. I've seen reviews saying you need to have a good casting technique to get the best from this rod and I would have to disagree as my casting can be erratic especially in windy conditions! I can only compare against the Method I used last year and would say it's a little softer than the method and it feels more subtle particularly when casting small flies with a floating line. Didn't manage any salmon on it but had several reasonable trout which put a nice bend in the rod. I normally use the X 8110 switch or X 9140 but I think this rod will be used for the rest of the year.
Thanks for the update. the igniter 7126 is a rod I am definitely interested in. Hopefully I may get some fishing In September and October, I have 3 weeks booked subject to us virus ridden English being allowed into Scotland.
i am interested to know if you think the 7wt Rio VT would work on the rod?

Robb76

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. the igniter 7126 is a rod I am definitely interested in. Hopefully I may get some fishing In September and October, I have 3 weeks booked subject to us virus ridden English being allowed into Scotland.
i am interested to know if you think the 7wt Rio VT would work on the rod?
I cannot see why not, I believe that's the line that recommended for it. When I get fishing with my old man I will try his 7wt Rio on my rod and see what the comparisons are (y)

Neil W

Reaction score
I cannot see why not, I believe that's the line that recommended for it. When I get fishing with my old man I will try his 7wt Rio on my rod and see what the comparisons are (y)
Excellent. It would be good to know how you get on

junior

Reaction score
As I ponder my fishing in the future when ever that is, my mind is thinking towards a 7wt double handed rod.
I used to have a sage one 7136 which is a lovely rod but I sold it to help fund a light 9wt rod for a trip to Norway which is now not happening. I also had a 6pc loop cross S1 which is a lovely rod but I really didn’t like the handle and reel seat so I sold that too. Probably should have kept both in hind sight.
I am now thinking of a 7wt rod in the 12ft 6inch to 14ft bracket as it’s a useful rod for medium rivers in late summer and autumn especially with the Rio scandi VT 7wt or 6/7 short head Spey.
It would be great if anyone would share their favourite 7wt double handed rods.
RB MIESER steel master steelhead and salmon 13.9 7 weight great actions for fish up to 25lb fantastic rod

Kin36

Reaction score
Excellent. It would be good to know how you get on
I have a new 7126 untried in the cupboard. I am hoping it is more of a SSV 7 than 8. I am I Scotland and it is not looking like we will be out soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neil W

Reaction score
I have a new 7126 untried in the cupboard. I am hoping it is more of a SSV 7 than 8. I am I Scotland and it is not looking like we will be out soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am sure you will be fishing soon. Wee Jimmy crankie seems to be soften her position. Looking forward to getting you feedback

Nordskog

Reaction score
I see a lot of people mentioning the Zenith 12'9 #7 as the "best" and I couldn't disagree more. I owned one and sold it instantly after trying out different lines. For me it was a stick with an unsupporive tip section. Check out the Winston Air, Guideline Nt8 12'9 #7/8 and the Nam delgado 12'7 #7. Vision Xo is also a great rod if you want a full action with a soft, but supportive tip section.

Loxie

Reaction score
Can’t say I have heard of them
the customer service has genuinely appalling feedback. The lines are "brick on a string" style and massively over heavy: the 5's are really 7's so flatter indifferent casters. The owner appears to be mad as a box of frogs, I think he could be related to Trump.