Beginners Advice

castor

Reaction score
Yes, but the high end compacts have full manual control, in built ND filters etc and manual focus, just like entry plus SLRs.

We have a G12 knocking around in a drawer...gets used once a year on the Mrs's skiing trip. Its main problem is that it is a real pain in the A**e to alter settings.

I used an old Canon 200D for many years with a 28-105 (think) zoom. It was as capable as other cameras I have had since then but the basic picture quality for normal size enlargements was superb. Having switched to very expensive Nikons I have gone back to a basic Nikon 300D for nearly everything. And I use old metal and glass 1st tier Nikon lenses rather than today's plastic horrors!

heather point

Reaction score
I used Nikon for all my professional work for years finishing up with a D300S which with a Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens was an excellent piece of kit but very heavy.
I have now sold all my Nikon kit and moved over to Fujifilm mirrorless, to be precise an XT1.
I find that this does everything that my D300S could do and is much lighter and easier to work through the menus.
For those who just want to point and squirt, just set it to automatic setting and away you go.
Most professionals feel that mirrorless is the way forward and Nikon will be bringing one out soon.