Beginner setup help needed

Andrew B

Reaction score
It’s incredible what you can get for little money nowadays in the reel department. Fifty bats would buy a serviceable large arbour for an eight line. My biggest mistake in the past is scrimping on a fly line which I didn’t realise until I tried someone’s decent line and it was like night and day.

chriswjx

Reaction score
It’s incredible what you can get for little money nowadays in the reel department. Fifty bats would buy a serviceable large arbour for an eight line. My biggest mistake in the past is scrimping on a fly line which I didn’t realise until I tried someone’s decent line and it was like night and day.

There's still a balance between scrimping on fly lines and then dropping £130 for one of Rio's ultra trout lines I feel 😅

Still, i'm proud of my old youngs/beaulite reels that I picked up for £30-40. Maybe a bit too noisy for some, but they feel like they're built to last and add a nice feel on my rods :)

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
my question was really to do with the line that i suggested i understand buying a half decent second hand reel seems the best way to go

chriswjx

Reaction score
my question was really to do with the line that i suggested i understand buying a half decent second hand reel seems the best way to go

Honestly can't go wrong with a Rio AFS, which I think JN have for not too much. If you got the 12'9" Oracle Scandi you can get either the 8wt or 9wt, the 9wt will load the rod more, which will probably be easier if you're just starting? (The weight range for a shooting head on that rod is recommended from 30-34 grams, and the AFS heads are roughly at the bottom and the top of that range)

I think the AFS heads are slightly longer than Airflo's rage compact heads, and I found when I was learning last year, even though it doesn't seem like its much longer (AFS 38ft, Rage 31ft), the extra length made it more forgiving on my casting stroke.

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
Honestly can't go wrong with a Rio AFS, which I think JN have for not too much. If you got the 12'9" Oracle Scandi you can get either the 8wt or 9wt, the 9wt will load the rod more, which will probably be easier if you're just starting? (The weight range for a shooting head on that rod is recommended from 30-34 grams, and the AFS heads are roughly at the bottom and the top of that range)

I think the AFS heads are slightly longer than Airflo's rage compact heads, and I found when I was learning last year, even though it doesn't seem like its much longer (AFS 38ft, Rage 31ft), the extra length made it more forgiving on my casting stroke.
ok thanks i think i will go for that one then

Jock

Reaction score
I have just replaced my Gaelforce 8/9 ( 30g over 33' ) switch line which is an integrated line with a new one, you can have the old one for free if you want. This is a great line on the 12' 9" oracle scandi and indeed the set up I use the most on the mid clyde. The head of the line is fine but the running section is past its best but still usable. Stood on a few times so has cracks in the plastic coating in some parts of the running section. These could be aquasured if you want to use it as is, or the running section could be cut off and you use the line as a 33' head with separate running line.

The only problem with the AFS heads you seek is the long front taper which is great for presentation with tapered nylon leaders but really needs to be cut back to allow proper turnover of polyleaders especially the faster sinking ones. The Gaelforce handles polyleaders far better and being integrated is easier to use for a beginner.

Usually up fishing the Clyde once a week so could meet you or drop off with one of the lads if you know any.