Beginner setup help needed

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
at the moment i only have a single handed rod and would like to try the double handed

what is the best setup for beginners,its a bit confusing with spey, scandi and skagit all available

thanks in advice

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The answer to that is very much dictated by the type of river (as in the width, depth and flow rate) that you will be fishing much the same as you wouldn't tackle trout on a wee over grown burn with a 10' #8 nor a big loch with a 6' #1 . If you are happy to name the waters and if relevant the beats you plan to fish, and if not some of the parameters I noted above, then that would really help people to give useful advice.

In general though, a 13' to 13'6 rod rated #8/9 would be considered as a good all rounder and then to start with a short head floating spey line coupled with 10' polyleaders selected as floating, medium sink and fast sink would cover most places.

The best advice of all though, spend absolutely nothing on tackle and instead get one or two spey casting lessons:
1. That will set you out on the right path as while there are some common aspects with using a single hander the casting strokes are very different and it will save you hours of frustration and,
2. Any half decent instructor will be able to recommend the best tackle to suit your ability, choice of venue and pocket.

If that is an option you REALLY don't want to take, then look for a day ticket venue similar to one you want to fish or if a club as the club officials what set-up they'd recommend and I'm sure they will be only to happy to help.

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i just purchased a season permit for the mid clyde but would also be fishing smaller rivers as well

Andrew B

Reaction score
I know Shakespeare have a name for doing entry level fishing gear but it’s surprising how many experienced anglers bought the Shakespeare line of Salmon double handed rods since they came out?
I’ve never used one, think they called Scandi or oracle maybe but regardless they got really great reviews in magazines ect?
I’m sure there will be others on here that will be able to advise the correct lines and such to go with em.

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
yes i have read that the shakespeare oracles get a good reputation

thats actually the rod i was going to get but just not sure on the length or wither to go with the scandi skagit or traditional spey
then theres obviously the line to match it

the easiest setup for catching the better

Andrew B

Reaction score
yes i have read that the shakespeare oracles get a good reputation

thats actually the rod i was going to get but just not sure on the length or wither to go with the scandi skagit or traditional spey
then theres obviously the line to match it

the easiest setup for catching the better
For the type of rivers I fish where the Ribble or occasionally the Eden would be the biggest I’m likely to fish I’m thinking a 12 ft rod would be ok but I’m far from being a salmon fishing expert, being as most of my salmon have come on either a spinner or single handed rod fishing for sea trout.
I should do what Iain suggested though about paying for some casting lessons as I’ve no idea how to fish on the wrong side of the stream where I’d need to cast off my left?
My last Salmon double handed outfit was a 14ft Guide shooting head outfit and after getting an invite to fish a top beat on the Don I felt like an idiot with an outfit that I couldn’t get to grips with. The kind Ghillie lent me a traditional 15ft Spey rod with a traditional Spey line and immediately I took to it better.
After that experience I’m of the mind that it’s better to have someone experienced to teach you the basics, than just presuming you’ll be able to pick up as you go?

lax0341

Reaction score
I would have a look at some good quality used tackle at eBay , here, in classifieds or on other places for good quality second hand tackle. Use this for 2, 3 years and try out some other tackle. After a while you will know which tackle you like and what amount of money you can or like to afford for it. The bought second hand tackle you can leave as a substitute for the new one if you damage anything or have other problems with the tackle. I bought a good part of my tackle second hand and it‘s mostly great stuff.

Fruin

Reaction score
For the Mid Clyde, you will be looking for a rod of around 13ft to 15ft. I know that isn't that helpful, but it does come down to angler preference. My preference for an all round double hander for the mid-Clyde would probably be 13.5ft or 14ft rated for a 9 or 10 line. I would get a couple of lines to match, both shooting heads. I would get a floating line that you can add some lighter tips to for lower water. I would also get a floating Skandi/Skagit tip line with a range of heavier tips for getting yourself down a bit deeper in colder weather or stronger flows.
With the shooting head option that means that a decent reel loaded with good backing and a shooting / running line will cover you for both scenarios.
Obviously, if you enjoy the double hander and this style of fishing you can add to your armoury for specific conditions as you go on, but the above lines would be a good start for the mid-Clyde. You may wish to have a shorter 11 or 12 foot rod later on, but for a beginner trying to cover the water then a 13.5 or 14 foot rod is about right there. There are some fairly wide stretches that the longer rod will allow you to cast over easier and will also give you better line control once you figure the river out.
As others have said, a Shakespeare Oracle is not a huge investment to lose if you decide it is not for you.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Keep an eye on ebay (Save the search "Shakespeare Oracle") 2nd hand rods will turn up, and usually go for about £60-80 inc p+p usually.

Edit: In terms of line weights, this is a useful table I found a while ago on here, to simplify the complexity of casting weight windows. This is Shakespeare's suggested "optimal" casting, and is a good starting point.

Reel wise, I'm using a battered JW Youngs 1540 which I got for £40, which balances the rods nicely.

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Whatever set up you go for, make sure the line is decent and matches the rod. You will get plenty of good advice on here about what line(s) to match with any particular rod.

Plenty of anglers (myself included !) have thought that a new rod was poor only to find that with a different line it performed well.

If you start with a cheap/modestly priced outfit, that can always become your spare if you later buy something more expensive. It is good to have a spare as at some stage a breakage is likely to occur.

Gosling

Reaction score
Oracle Scandi - 12ft 9 or the 13ft 9., look on facebook marketplace or ebay, match with a John Norris shooting head line for £20. great set up to get you started.

Smaller set up for small spate rivers oracle switch 7/8,

Enjoy the fishing

Rrrr

Reaction score
Another vote for an oracle. Not expensive and the ones ive tried are quite nice.
No point blowing 500 quid plus on a rod to find you dont like it or it dosent suit the type of fishing you are doing.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
think i will go with the 12.9 orcacle scandi with the john norris line

last question would be does the reel matter or should i be purchasing a better quality line that will be easier
for a total beginner to cast

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
think i will go with the 12.9 orcacle scandi with the john norris line

last question would be does the reel matter or should i be purchasing a better quality line that will be easier
for a total beginner to cast
There's one for sale in classifieds now mate.
Nothing wrong with John Norris lines

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
bought the 12'9 scandi from fawcetts, £99 which i thought was a good deal, onto the line now

think ill opt for john norris running line, rio scandi body then add a floating tip to start will
does this sound ok?

if so which body should i be going for a short scandi or normal scandi body for ease of casting with that rod

chriswjx

Reaction score
Think they have the Rio AFS floating scandi heads which I personally like to cast. Then you could just get the full set of 10' airflo poly leaders?

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
Think they have the Rio AFS floating scandi heads which I personally like to cast. Then you could just get the full set of 10' airflo poly leaders?
yes thats what my plans were, is the scandi short body and scandi normal length different to the afs then?

chriswjx

Reaction score
I want to say yes? The AFS is an older model I think, stands for Advanced flight spey?

As mentioned by others on here elsewhere, rio are masters of making this a hell confusing...

16175567131954102397004716689094.jpg

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
you can usually pick up a Leeda magnum reel with spare spool fitted with lines on eBay for not a lot of money and they are very reliable been using nothing else for past twenty five years

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
you can usually pick up a Leeda magnum reel with spare spool fitted with lines on eBay for not a lot of money and they are very reliable been using nothing else for past twenty five years
thats all good and well but you have been doing it for 25 years and know what your doing, i'am a complete novice

Rennie

Reaction score
salmon-seeker of all the things that you buy on your Salmon fishing journey the reel is the one that will have the least influence and the least bearing.As long as it works well, takes the line set up you choose and a sensible amount of backing, thats all you'll need.
You won't catch any more or less no matter the amount you spend, and there's no reel on this planet that'll help you fly cast better over another one. Ok, a reel that balances the rod well helps. Admittedly, if you consistently fish for the biggest Salmon in the toughest places you'll need a quality reel, but for the UK?.
Personaly I'd not spend rock bottom prices on real cheap new stuff, but 2nd hand is a viable route, after that well spend what you like.It won't matter that much.
Pedro.