Beat allocation.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Draw at start of the day , simple. Whether the draw gives you the chance to select a certain pool or allocates a certain pool. Also have a beat Map on the Hut wall with pins for each fish caught on it that year. Then your guests will know when they are being put down the rubbish out the way spot but cannot complain if there has been a draw.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Draw at start of the day , simple. Whether the draw gives you the chance to select a certain pool or allocates a certain pool. Also have a beat Map on the Hut wall with pins for each fish caught on it that year. Then your guests will know when they are being put down the rubbish out the way spot but cannot complain if there has been a draw.
This, every day of the week for me unless the beat is rented by a full party who then can decide among themselves how the allocation is decided.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
This is a really great fishing system yall have. The best.
This ‘system’ is prevalent on the ‘big 4’ but that represents only a (small) portion of the rod days fished in the UK.

There isn’t a single way of doing things across the country. I might take a beat like that in the future but have only done so once over the last 30 years. On that beat the Ghillie let us do what we wanted and the only restriction was that he asked us to set some times where he could get us out in the boat.

Don’t mind sharing water but don’t like the idea of 0900 starts or an enforced lunch break.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The idea of a pre booked day months in advance, set times, told to stop for lunch and being told where im fishing just isnt my sort of thing at all.
Some days i get up and cant be botherd to fish, others ill wake up early and fancy a few hours at first light or wait and fish last into darkness instead.

Where i fish we have miles and miles of fishing that really isnt busy. I can head out on a weekend and have 3 or 4 miles to myself on club water or with 1 other rod and we never see eachother or if we do its in passing. If you want to be first through the pools on a good day you get up sharp and get there early to ensure it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Handel

Reaction score
Here we go then , as no one else will I may as well.....

When you book a beat with Ghillies/Ghillie and other rods, how do you expect to be allocated on the beat?

Bearing in mind the other rods may have been fishing the days before you and are fishing after your day/days .

Should each day be drawn or leave it to our trustworthy Ghillies? 🤣
It depends (of course it does). If I am there for the week I expect a draw on Monday and then rotate round the beat. A new draw every day is no good as I could go on getting the same pool. If other rods come and go they just have to fit in to Monday's draw, if more than one new rods arrive mid week they can have their own mini draw.

If there is a complete turnover of rods midweek then new draw. I did that last week, worked perfectly.

I have fished all over the place over the years and it has always worked that way - with one exception, a certain beat on the Tay.

phil.b

Reaction score
On most of the beats I go to I always leave it to the ghillie to tell me what pool or pools I have to fish .All the beats I fish are different ,some let you start early and some don't,most will let you fish on in the evening although there are a few beats on the Spey that want you off the water at 5pm on a Saturday☹I don't mind a draw ,you have to take the good with the bad at times,to me it's just braw to be on the water fishing for salmon

mc andy

Reaction score
There is no perfect solution to this imo.

If all things being equal? Then yes a draw probably is fair, but to many variables I think anyway to do this.

On the Tay for example many pools are difficult to get at, require a long line cast or have a difficult or deep wade to get at, so if you have rods that don't like to wade deep or are unsteady on their feet then making a draw and sending a 80 Yr old a mile up stream! Just ain't gonna happen.

Most fishing I've done the ghillies have been fair and sensible, not all mind and I do have a beat I'll never return to, but I know friends that are keen regulars of said beat. So I've obviously just been unlucky on my 1 day visit.

Reaction score
Remember myself and another forum member turning up at Newtyle on the Tay..8.45 am.... Ghillies mates had spun the best pools caught a couple and we were sent right up top of the beat on our own .

I don't give a monkeys naming the beat as I won't be back... similar has happened on Ladykirk and Dryburgh lower... No more custom from me.
Hi, I fish on Ladykirk as a syndicate rod and also work in the autumn as a Ghillie. When I first started fishing there 20 years ago, there was no rota in place and there were criticisms of ‘favouritism’ and this resulted in a rota being put in place about 12 or so years ago, which has, under the present Ghillie Matthi, has been refined and is, in my opinion extremely fair. Any rods arriving on the beat for a day or days, slot into a pre ordained allocation structure, and it all works really well. I’m sure if you were to book a day again on Ladykirk you would find an excellent and fair Ghillie and have the same chances as any other rod on the beat that day.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Hi, I fish on Ladykirk as a syndicate rod and also work in the autumn as a Ghillie. When I first started fishing there 20 years ago, there was no rota in place and there were criticisms of ‘favouritism’ and this resulted in a rota being put in place about 12 or so years ago, which has, under the present Ghillie Matthi, has been refined and is, in my opinion extremely fair. Any rods arriving on the beat for a day or days, slot into a pre ordained allocation structure, and it all works really well. I’m sure if you were to book a day again on Ladykirk you would find an excellent and fair Ghillie and have the same chances as any other rod on the beat that day.
I'm sure it is... Matthi wasn't there that day...young dude who I think is at West learmouth now....put me down in the Tip and buggered of up to the Merryknowes himself .

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
It depends (of course it does). If I am there for the week I expect a draw on Monday and then rotate round the beat. A new draw every day is no good as I could go on getting the same pool. If other rods come and go they just have to fit in to Monday's draw, if more than one new rods arrive mid week they can have their own mini draw.

If there is a complete turnover of rods midweek then new draw. I did that last week, worked perfectly.

I have fished all over the place over the years and it has always worked that way - with one exception, a certain beat on the Tay.
Agreed. That is how I would expect a draw to be done and carried forward over the week. Maybe add in moving down a pool two or three times a day to give the day rods a fair crack at the pools. If there are day rods showing up, then everyone should start at 9am or give the day rod the option of an early start. It is not difficult to arrange, but given some anglers and ghillies cannot be trusted, the 9 am meet up stops any nonsense from selfish, greedy @rses.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
On most of the beats I go to I always leave it to the ghillie to tell me what pool or pools I have to fish .All the beats I fish are different ,some let you start early and some don't,most will let you fish on in the evening although there are a few beats on the Spey that want you off the water at 5pm on a Saturday☹I don't mind a draw ,you have to take the good with the bad at times,to me it's just braw to be on the water fishing for salmon
Thats good to know.
Oh.....I just did the draw for next May. You drew the Sheep, Cemetery and Wires. I was scared to tell you, but it is good to know you are ok with it.

neilt

Reaction score
To support lefthandups comments, I could have wrote that very description, same beat, same experience, but also to add it was over rodded on the day. Stuck up the top in thin water. Me and another member on here. 6/7 years ago maybe?, time flies.
The top bits a cracking pool. St Mary’s - it’s a long throw to hit the main stream though. And a long walk to get up there.

Cyclops

Reaction score
Neilt, I don’t mind a long walk, I’m comfortable with a long throw. It was not a fair allocation that day, it was clear preference was being shown to what looked like known friends, regulars, acquaintances whatever and evident allocation to the pools fishing best in that height of water. And funny enough, they were the ones who caught in the those favoured pools that day. And another thing to add, the ghillie took the walk up with us and proceeded to in his words, test out a rod on the river. I get there’s loyalties with beats, but make of all that what you will. I’ve not returned, and no need to comment further but just wanted to post as others experiences posted here are identical to ours on the day, thems are the facts.

kingfisher

Reaction score
Agree Phil but when you know you’ve been dumped at the tap end of a beat in a crap pool the feeling of being on the watter kinda disappears, especially when one considers the over all expense of the fishing trip.
I’ll guess in the region of £90 - £120 ish for your day if your able to travel to and from the beat. Double that if you’ve to stay over night and with meals.

phil.b

Reaction score
Agree Phil but when you know you’ve been dumped at the tap end of a beat in a crap pool the feeling of being on the watter kinda disappears, especially when one considers the over all expense of the fishing trip.
I’ll guess in the region of £90 - £120 ish for your day if your able to travel to and from the beat. Double that if you’ve to stay over night and with meals.
What aboot the drams , you better triple that cost if your fishin with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk