Beat allocation.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Here we go then , as no one else will I may as well.....

When you book a beat with Ghillies/Ghillie and other rods, how do you expect to be allocated on the beat?

Bearing in mind the other rods may have been fishing the days before you and are fishing after your day/days .

Should each day be drawn or leave it to our trustworthy Ghillies? 🤣

ibm59

Reaction score
I’ve seen the day that I’d spark up a B&H , pour a dram , put the feet up and watch the fur fly , Col.
Nowadays , I’ll pass on the B&H 😉

Loxie

Reaction score
I almost never buy that kind of fishing any more, but if I did I would expect there to be a proper and established rota, drawn before fishing starts on Monday. If rods change during the week they should take over the rod they are replacing in the rota. If not all rods are taken the ghillie should draw the missing slots and allow the remaining rods a fair crack at the unfilled slots until they are filled.

In the real world I suspect it's rather different! On some of the weeks I rent I don't fish the full allocation as I feel many beats are over rodded. This can make the rotation interesting. I take two weeks on a river with rotating 2 rod beats and one fixed 2 rod beat. The fixed beat I prefer to fish with only one rod so we have a great time trying to make sure everyone gets a fair go. It is important that these things are done transparently and fairly though. Like every other profession there are good, bad and indifferent ghillies and even the odd one who is not entirely honest! I would say that i have never knowingly encountered a really bad situation yet.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I’ve seen the day that I’d spark up a B&H , pour a dram , put the feet up and watch the fur fly , Col.
Nowadays , I’ll pass on the B&H 😉
Bet you miss a puff on the riverbank Brian?
I don't smoke full time now but I always buy a pack if I'm away for a few days or week.

If I'm away for the day...my mate always has baccy 🤣

kingfisher

Reaction score
Here we go then , as no one else will I may as well.....

When you book a beat with Ghillies/Ghillie and other rods, how do you expect to be allocated on the beat?

Bearing in mind the other rods may have been fishing the days before you and are fishing after your day/days .

Should each day be drawn or leave it to our trustworthy Ghillies? 🤣
As long as they are fair and don’t let their pals spin the best pool(s) before clients turn up then I’m fine with wherever they send me as long as it’s rotated or changed after lunch

lefthandup

Reaction score
I don’t really , Col.
It doesn’t even spring to mind unless someone mentions it.
Over 6 years now
50 to zero in the space of a heart attack. 😉🤞
Good for you....I've never smoked 50 in a day before, even more impressive you stopping despite the health scare..
I'm sure you feel better for it until you get an unfair beat allocation 😜

Oscar

Reaction score
Tricky - fished the upper Tweed once a few years back and although a single beat, the ghillie’s mates got to fish the best bits. Eventually we ignored him and did our own rotation!

Oscar

salmo76

Reaction score
Tricky - fished the upper Tweed once a few years back and although a single beat, the ghillie’s mates got to fish the best bits. Eventually we ignored him and did our own rotation!

Oscar
Depends who you`re sharing the beat with , sometimes it`s best to leave it to the ghillie , if he`s fair minded , to sort it out. Remember a while back , four of us in the hut for lunch break, being left with strict instructions from the ghillie to not fish before 2pm and to sort out beat allocation amongst our selves. Come 1.45 , two silently rose from their chairs and as they went outside, left us with the famous Captain Oates line " I am just going outside and may be some time " . At that we heard car engines rev up as they zoomed off, the couple of hundred yards or so , to get to the best pools first.

Other times I`ve arrived at beats with an official start time of 9 am to find the other rods have been on since just after 5 am and the fish have been hammered with spinners and fly for 4 hours before I started and it shows as the fish in the pools are showing all the signs of being well spooked. Even worse, some of the rods have sneakily went through all the good spots on both parts of what should have been a rotated beat.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Try to spend most of my fishing on my syndicate days or small beats where you can take all the rods. Dont like the daily allocation bit that much as Ghillies do put their regulars in the top pools. A fair method would be to draw like the guns do at shoots. Ghillies like to say they place people about the beat based on ability and method being used but i am sure we have all been there at a hut and a few are already set up and seem to know already where they are going as they have requested certain pool. I dont mind an association or fishing club stretch as at least you can roam about and drop in behind someone if you fancy a shot at a pool.

Got a bit cheesed of a few years back when the owner of a certain Tay beat had informed the Ghillie that he would turn up and he was to leave the best pool for him upon his arrival. Owner turned up just before lunch and moaned at dogs being on his beat. That day i never got a shot of the best pool and i let the Ghillie know and informed i would not be back for this reason. To this day i have not been back.

It happens all over where Ghillies have given the nod to their friends or locals that the beat is worth a cast and then they are put in best spots. Not a massive deal but something which could easily be resolved with a simple draw made in hut when all guests arrive.

Mattytree

Reaction score
I won’t waste my money on that type of fishing any more , learnt my lesson this year when fish pal had loads of vacancies on water you can’t usually get on ...I could of had fish off my usual water but decided to splash out on over priced and over fished water thinking I would catch more 😆

lefthandup

Reaction score
Remember myself and another forum member turning up at Newtyle on the Tay..8.45 am.... Ghillies mates had spun the best pools caught a couple and we were sent right up top of the beat on our own .

I don't give a monkeys naming the beat as I won't be back... similar has happened on Ladykirk and Dryburgh lower... No more custom from me.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I won’t waste my money on that type of fishing any more , learnt my lesson this year when fish pal had loads of vacancies on water you can’t usually get on ...I could of had fish off my usual water but decided to splash out on over priced and over fished water thinking I would catch more 😆
I'm with you there Mattytree, every time iv ventured outside my local rivers to more 'prolific destinations' iv come away disappointed to some degree. Yes iv had fish but on the whole by local club/association has done better. The two clubs I'm member of on the Ribble have low restricted membership, one having 100 members another 45 and iv encountered more rods on prolific waters than my local beats. Iv learnt my lesson and stick to what I know and love however iam lucky as I live within 1 mile of a lovely fly beat and 10 min drive of another 4 so accept other anglers may not have that option.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I had a ticket for the Isla a few years back. We would turn up 8am to see the Ghillies pals packing up every time we were out. The boy couldn’t understand why none of us took a ticket the following season and got the hump.

mc andy

Reaction score
Remember myself and another forum member turning up at Newtyle on the Tay..8.45 am.... Ghillies mates had spun the best pools caught a couple and we were sent right up top of the beat on our own .

I don't give a monkeys naming the beat as I won't be back... similar has happened on Ladykirk and Dryburgh lower... No more custom from me.
How long ago was this?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have never fished waters with this sort of lucky dip type allocations, and never will, i fish some club/syndicate waters where i just turn up and fish where ever i fancy, usually i can fish the pools i fancy without competition, perfect. Other fisheries have allocated beats on a rota, so no competition , and no prior fishing by the owners.

geosla1963

Reaction score
Fished newtyle a few times the last 4/5 years never had a problem always started at 9 and got to fish evinings
cant see Andy allowing this

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
I’ve had the experience of fishing with many, very many ghillies over the last 47 years and the vast majority have been superb ghillies and buddies on the river. I’ve learned more from them than from all the Learned books.
There were a few ghillies who were ,,,,,, not helpful and frankly made their dislike for their guests obvious , but they always distributed the rods equitably. Our group obviously did not return To this beat.

Cyclops

Reaction score
To support lefthandups comments, I could have wrote that very description, same beat, same experience, but also to add it was over rodded on the day. Stuck up the top in thin water. Me and another member on here. 6/7 years ago maybe?, time flies.

Coneheads

Banned
Reaction score
I've fished quite a lot of ghillied beats , one ghillie made haste for the big tipping 2 rods arriving in their sporty top of the range cars, one being a Lexus ,forgot the other make ? I never seen the ghillie all day , Ha ! wonder why ? just spent 5 minutes with me explaining on the beat map where to fish , but happy with that as I prefer fishing alone, but don't put me on a pool that seldom produces as some have posted on this thread ?

Ghillies come in many types/grades
There are some really good Ghillies , well worth their tip, more so if in the boat
Some Greedy run up yer backside Ghillies (big tips in mind)
Some Look after your Mates,backhander Ghillies ,
Some Lazy Gits
Some Great boatmen all rounders, grafters
Some Great boatmen , but not the best fishing knowledge ?
Some think you know nowt about Salmon fishing,