Basserisk hair

48fisher

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might obtain some basserisk hair dyed yellow? I have search the internet but with no success
I bought some a long while since but it has now been used up.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
It's a lovely hair to work with, I came across this in a job lot of materials I purchased it's the first time I ever heard of it.

Attachments

• 1615656755534375795883480349453.jpg
    1615656755534375795883480349453.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 16156567982046934203032590763416.jpg
    16156567982046934203032590763416.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70

Hoddom

Reaction score
Never heard of that before. What is it? What’s it like. Tell all😀

gbanjo

Reaction score
I have some Bassarisk, a mixed pack. I bought it in 1978. Unfortunately I only have a small piece of yellow left.
I have red, blue and orange. Lovely stuff to use for winging.I did see some advertised on a UK site, 2019/2020. Just can't remember which one.
To answer the question, "what is it?" It's very common in USA and usually as ring tailed cat, miners cat, or Basserisk.

It's really Bassarica, related to the possum etc. It's not endangered. Just wonder why it's so expensive. I suppose carriage charges.

Stay Safe
GB.

48fisher

Reaction score
It is nice material for winging, for some reason (no idea why) yellow is the colour I have used up. I bought a pack of mix colours when I had not been tying for very long and the yellow is the only colour I have run out of.

Hoddom

Reaction score
I have some Bassarisk, a mixed pack. I bought it in 1978. Unfortunately I only have a small piece of yellow left.
I have red, blue and orange. Lovely stuff to use for winging.I did see some advertised on a UK site, 2019/2020. Just can't remember which one.
To answer the question, "what is it?" It's very common in USA and usually as ring tailed cat, miners cat, or Basserisk.

It's really Bassarica, related to the possum etc. It's not endangered. Just wonder why it's so expensive. I suppose carriage charges.

Stay Safe
GB.
Thanks, interesting. Presumably it is available in US shops. I work in NYC a lot of the time outside COVID so plenty of opportunities to pick some up later in the year... maybe ✈️!?

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
Thanks, interesting. Presumably it is available in US shops. I work in NYC a lot of the time outside COVID so plenty of opportunities to pick some up later in the year... maybe ✈️!?
While it used to be readily available up to the mid 1980s and marketed as “monga ring tail”, I haven’t seen it in shops in decades.

Good luck!

Marc

salmonaddict

Reaction score
I have them in yellow, orange and red which I bought in the early 90's from a shop in Datchet, West London. The dark stripe in the orange dyed tail is a nice dark brown which I've used to tie a few Hairy Mary's and Jeannie's. Other than that, that's all I've used them for.

Last edited:

Hoddom

Reaction score
That Orvis Store was on my bucket list when I visited New York a number of years ago, I bought a few bits and bobs from it that I still haven't used.
That Store is a must for any Angler who goes on a trip to the Big Apple. 😎
Don't be caught out by the opening hours - 11.00AM. Do the Empire State first to avoid the queues there :)
The SF store is the best :)

gbanjo

Reaction score
Hello 48.

Kate Rollin, we'll known New York tyer may, be able to give you some info on where to source the Basserisk in NY, before your trip.

She was tying at BIFFI. Very knowledgable and helpful. She has a Website.

GB.