Bass fishing

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
Any other member do abit of bass fishing? I find myself doing this type of fishing more & more in recent years. This was one from
2 weeks ago.
1B8FBBE4-524B-4F41-8565-A9B8EB6435F7.png

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Bleeding Harry mate what a cracking Bass! I'm like you finding myself doing more sea fishing last couple years. Had PB Thornback, Smoothhound and Tope this year not big by specimen standards though iv had two double figure thornbacks. Fished for bass a few times up your way when Irt was out of sorts off Eskmeals, Drigg point and St Bees but never had anything like that! Well done.

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
Bleeding Harry mate what a cracking Bass! I'm like you finding myself doing more sea fishing last couple years. Had PB Thornback, Smoothhound and Tope this year not big by specimen standards though iv had two double figure thornbacks. Fished for bass a few times up your way when Irt was out of sorts off Eskmeals, Drigg point and St Bees but never had anything like that! Well done.

Great, seems to be a lot of thornback rays coming close to the shore in recent years. Here the sea seems full of them all year round now too! I wonder why that is?
This year been plenty of mackerel too.
Never tried the Tope fishing as of yet but I bet they go some!

lefthandup

Reaction score
Tried it one Sunday down at holy island walking /fishing the flood tide, I caught two but absolutely nothing compared to that .

Sash

Reaction score
Any other member do abit of bass fishing? I find myself doing this type of fishing more & more in recent years. This was one from 2 weeks ago.

What did you catch it on?
I fish the fly on our local surf beaches and have had a cracking year: one of c.5lbs and one of 8lbs+: my best ever.
Nice thing is that the season goes on to the end of the year, and I can fish when the local rivers are too high (or too low).

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
What did you catch it on?
I fish the fly on our local surf beaches and have had a cracking year: one of c.5lbs and one of 8lbs+: my best ever.
Nice thing is that the season goes on to the end of the year, and I can fish when the local rivers are too high (or too low).

I’ve not tried the fly as of yet but wouldn’t mind giving it ago. I got this fish off the surface. I use surface lures 90% of the time as I like the noise and watching the surface erupt when a fish hits them. Failing that il try shallow divers or SPs.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Lovely bass ! If anyone gets Flyfishing and Flytying, a guy writes about fly fishing in the sea fairly regularly. When it is "on" , he seems to have amazing sport with mullet and bass and occasional seatrout. Keep meaning to give it a go but haven't yet.

squimp

Reaction score
Stunning fish, well done.

if you try the fly; get hold of/tie some ‘Oz’s sand eel’ patterns - basically a very simple skinny Clouser. Easy to tie and bass love them.

kimbo

Reaction score
No not me I haven't fished for bass seriously for years, most of my fish are returned including sea fish if I am not keeping them for the pot.
I only keep fish that I can eat fresh.

pete

Reaction score
No not me I haven't fished for bass seriously for years, most of my fish are returned including sea fish if I am not keeping them for the pot.
I only keep fish that I can eat fresh.
Apologies was replying to bts post about killing bass when a few years back he took a load of flack In here for killing a few bass if I remember correctly

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Apologies was replying to bts post about killing bass when a few years back he took a load of flack In here for killing a few bass if I remember correctly

Whilst not wanting to get into an argument about killing fish I think the point was taking a couple of schoolies for the pot is one thing but taking the large multiple spawning adult fish is viewed by some as somthing else. Iv nothing against taking a fish for the pot, I do it myself from time to time, especially sea fish however if i caught a l double figure bass given the current stock position (although improving) I'd think twice about taking it, intact I'd release it and maybe take a 3-4lber if I was lucky enough to catch another. Each to their own though, that's just my opinion.

pete

Reaction score
Whilst not wanting to get into an argument about killing fish I think the point was taking a couple of schoolies for the pot is one thing but taking the large multiple spawning adult fish is viewed by some as somthing else. Iv nothing against taking a fish for the pot, I do it myself from time to time, especially sea fish however if i caught a l double figure bass given the current stock position (although improving) I'd think twice about taking it, intact I'd release it and maybe take a 3-4lber if I was lucky enough to catch another. Each to their own though, that's just my opinion.
Completely agree, a double figure bass would be a brave age and should be returned. I’ve caught hundreds of them over the years and only ever knocked one on the head. I was just stating that bts probably shouldn’t be slating anyone for killing a big bass when he did the same himself.

mkb

Reaction score
I fished for and caught quite a few bass in the tidal reaches of the Ogmore, mainly schoolies with fish up to 6 lbs but there were some absolute lunkers that came in and out on the tide but they were far too smart to be tempted, if the bass weren’t on I’d often chase the grey mullet which are rockets!

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
We’re you not parading a load of dead bass on here a couple of years back?

That is correct. 2012 I believe, you learn from your mistakes. Still just a very young lad then. You live & learn.
But again, none were double figures.

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score

Well done, agree completely hit the nail on the head

Tangled

Reaction score
Fyi

1. Recreational bass fishing
Recreational fisheries, including from shore, in ICES divisions 4b, 4c, 6a, 7a to 7k are limited to catch-and-release only during 01 January to 29 February and 1 December to 31 December 2020. From 1 March to 30 November 2020, not more than two seabass may be retained per fisherman per day.

In recreational fisheries in ICES divisions 8a and 8b, a maximum of two seabass may be retained per recreational fisherman per day throughout the year.

The minimum size of European seabass retained shall be 42 cm.

No bass can be taken by fixed nets.

These rules apply if you are fishing from a boat or from the shore.

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
Good for you lad?
Weren’t two of your bass 9-10lb.

You seem to remember my fish better than I do? some of them were big yes. Bigger than what I’d kill now or what I’d advise but weren’t quite double figures.
Last season I caught well over 100 bass and kept less than ten and they were all 3lb ish what I took. Like I say, you live and learn.
I used to take all my salmon back when I first started don’t keep a single one now.