Barrio Update!

richard

Reaction score

Service Status Updates​

Update 14/09/2021:

Our lines are now running on the machines in the USA, and all going well, should be shipped later this month.

Our usual UK fly line manufacturer is also hoping to get back to work this month.

Achieving normal stock levels is going to take time, but we are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for your support and patience!

Mike Barrio

Rrrr

Reaction score
Best get in there quick as im planning on buying a lifetimes supply of the switch lines incase they ever go out of production

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

chriswjx

Reaction score
aye make sure you've gotten the email notifications set up for what ever lines your wanting!

chriswjx

Reaction score
Checking the Barrio website, it's all been changed. Currently only 2 products coming from the US now... and all previous lines taken down...

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
That’s the ball rolling. My contact knows the owners of the factory down south personally. It produces most of the lines for a lot of companies. He’s going to go see him tomorrow. I will probably get a few different samples of each line made and test them out during the close season. Once I am happy with them I will see about getting a load of each made up.
Im still tweaking my range of rods also but hope to have a full range of rods designed and built specifically for salmon from a few different spinning rods to grilse/sea trout single handers right up 16’6” for those mad lower Tay crew ready to go for next season. And now hopefully lines to match.
Exciting stuff

chriswjx

Reaction score
That’s the ball rolling. My contact knows the owners of the factory down south personally. It produces most of the lines for a lot of companies. He’s going to go see him tomorrow. I will probably get a few different samples of each line made and test them out during the close season. Once I am happy with them I will see about getting a load of each made up.
Im still tweaking my range of rods also but hope to have a full range of rods designed and built specifically for salmon from a few different spinning rods to grilse/sea trout single handers right up 16’6” for those mad lower Tay crew ready to go for next season. And now hopefully lines to match.
Exciting stuff

Looking forward to this!

Might be my poor memory but didn't the GT90 trout lines retail at circa £30 not the £48 as per the website.

From memory, most (if not all) of the lines were <£40. I can understand the increased price though if he has had to go to a US manufacturer... He'll have to pay import etc on it now, not to mention if the US maker charges more...

tenet

Reaction score
Looking forward to this!

From memory, most (if not all) of the lines were <£40. I can understand the increased price though if he has had to go to a US manufacturer... He'll have to pay import etc on it now, not to mention if the US maker charges more...
You are correct in that the switch and spey lines were c£40 but the trout lines were c£30. If you scroll down Mike's Web page trout lines are listed along with their price albeit out of stock.
Have been a fan of his lines for a number of years so hope things get back to normal. At £48 for trout lines he is entering some stiff competition.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Might be my poor memory but didn't the GT90 trout lines retail at circa £30 not the £48 as per the website.

They were £38 at the last run and £30 when I got my first one 10 or so years ago.

Business is business, but it would be a shame if folk jumped ship because they couldn’t wait.

Mike Barrio has built a solid operation by delivering innovative products at a fair price. There really was very little like the SLX, Mallard or Smallstream lines when he released them and IMO they perform just as well or better than the Brand alternatives. An integrated Scandi of the quality of the ISS for £38 was great value.

There is an element of ‘live by the sword, die by the sword’ here, but personally, I’d hate to see Mike Barrio out of business due to supplier problems, simply because somebody can get a close copy of his products out a wee bit cheaper. I’m not suggesting FS is proposing doing that, but with the likes of Maxcatch turning out close copies with no need for investment, it certainly happens.

Of course if Mike Barrio hasn’t investigated all supply options then he has only himself to blame, but I suspect the truth is a bit more complicated than that.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
They were £38 at the last run and £30 when I got my first one 10 or so years ago.

Business is business, but it would be a shame if folk jumped ship because they couldn’t wait.

Mike Barrio has built a solid operation by delivering innovative products at a fair price. There really was very little like the SLX, Mallard or Smallstream lines when he released them and IMO they perform just as well or better than the Brand alternatives. An integrated Scandi of the quality of the ISS for £38 was great value.

There is an element of ‘live by the sword, die by the sword’ here, but personally, I’d hate to see Mike Barrio out of business due to supplier problems, simply because somebody can get a close copy of his products out a wee bit cheaper. I’m not suggesting FS is proposing doing that, but with the likes of Maxcatch turning out close copies with no need for investment, it certainly happens.

Of course if Mike Barrio hasn’t investigated all supply options then he has only himself to blame, but I suspect the truth is a bit more complicated than that.
I’m a huge fan of Barrio lines and would love nothing more than to be able to buy his great lines.
Im not proposing to rip Mike off or under cut him. I think his lines are fantastic value for money. But if I can’t get what I want and have an option to design a line to replace my lines then I’m going to give it a go.
My last 2 switch lines are falling apart now. They have sections of the coating falling off. I find I only get a couple of seasons out of my barrio lines before they start to degrade.
I really hope Mike sorts his supply issues.
I forgot to add my lines have a real hard life. A lot of the time I’m on the bank hiding behind a bush or rocks and they get caught at my feet on branches etc. It’s little wonder I only get a couple of seasons out of them.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of Barrio lines and would love nothing more than to be able to buy his great lines.
Im not proposing to rip Mike off or under cut him. I think his lines are fantastic value for money. But if I can’t get what I want and have an option to design a line to replace my lines then I’m going to give it a go.
My last 2 switch lines are falling apart now. They have sections of the coating falling off. I find I only get a couple of seasons out of my barrio lines before they start to degrade.
I really hope Mike sorts his supply issues.
I forgot to add my lines have a real hard life. A lot of the time I’m on the bank hiding behind a bush or rocks and they get caught at my feet on branches etc. It’s little wonder I only get a couple of seasons out of them.

I know that FS and in any case bidness is bidness, if you can’t get what you need, then you have to go elsewhere.

I get the feeling looking at the various threads that have been posted on here that there are a number of vendors who just copy other’s products or IP and turn out a cheaper copy - Maxcatch being the prime example.

Sure, the cost to the consumer is lower, because there is no R&D investment, retail outlets or marketing. However, I think we all lose something when a local supplier goes legs up, in part there is a reduced incentive to innovate, when your best ideas can be nicked in an instant.

While a line produced by Airflo or Rio probably won’t get immediately ripped off, I’m pretty sure anyone making anything in China best be prepared for that to happen.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im checking his site constantly as my barrio switch had got a crack in it after tons of use. Ill make it last and repair if needed but could do with a new one and a spare.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Im checking his site constantly as my barrio switch had got a crack in it after tons of use. Ill make it last and repair if needed but could do with a new one and a spare.

Sadly, based on his website, anything other than the smallstream and GT90 is wishful thinking for the foreseeable future...

Rrrr

Reaction score
Sadly, based on his website, anything other than the smallstream and GT90 is wishful thinking for the foreseeable future...
If i can make mine last another couple of weeks ive got untill next summer really before the switch rod is out again so hopefully be sorted by then.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Screenshot_20211013-182244_Facebook.jpg

chriswjx

Reaction score
More relevant update to us all. You might be in luck Rrrr!

Mike confirms in the comments that it is the original line - no mark II like the GT90...

Screenshot_20211013-205950_Facebook.jpg

Rrrr

Reaction score
More relevant update to us all. You might be in luck Rrrr!

Mike confirms in the comments that it is the original line - no mark II like the GT90...

View attachment 66822
Hopefully i can get one when available as had to chop mine at the weekend and turn it into a shooting head