Barn Owl Encounter tonight

Tyke777

Reaction score
Taking the dog for his evening ramble down the lane tonight I was "buzzed" for want of a better word by our resident Barn Owl, apologies for the dirty lens on the phone camera, I just grabbed it from my pocket and filmed him as he flew away - we see him, or her, most evenings somewhere around the house, lane, fields or buildings, IMO its really great to see 👍

salarchaser

Reaction score
Loved the sound of the barn owl telling me it is almost time to go home. Fishing would be much poorer for the lack of wildlife. Watching an Osprey take a good fish out of a spot you tried a few minutes ago puts one in ones place.
Bob.
I get a bit miffed when a cormorant does similar though.
Quite a few on my club trout water yesterday.

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Geordie had a close shave with a Tawny Owl last night when we went out for his evening piddle, it must have been sat on the roof and swooped down at him but veered off to the trees at the last minute. This silly rodney plonker came down one of our chimneys a few months back
hmuiOR3sQdy12LwzrFY1Zw.jpg

goosander

Reaction score
I get a bit miffed when a cormorant does similar though.
Quite a few on my club trout water yesterday.
You can go up to one of my lochs and all you see is 2 or 3 cormorants. After it is stocked there are dozens of them.
Think the motor that brings the stock must have a sign on its roof in cormorant language FOLLOW ME,
Bob.

Andrew B

Reaction score
There’s not many round my area, albeit there’s one particular place near an old Iron Age fort where I can go in the day time and see a Barn owl quartering over the long dead grass which is just the habitat they like.
You can imagine my anger at finding out that corrupt town council are looking to build more awful houses on this small but important strip of green belt land?
This is a video of the same bird in the area I mentioned

Last edited:

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Geordie had a close shave with a Tawny Owl last night when we went out for his evening piddle, it must have been sat on the roof and swooped down at him but veered off to the trees at the last minute. This silly rodney plonker came down one of our chimneys a few months backView attachment 60472

Great view it's got there!

Cracking feathers, I used to keep the skins of roadkill ones. On your pic you can see the leading edge of the first primary has the broken edge that helps them to fly silently to surprise the wee beesties

I live close to parkland with big old trees, and the Tawny owls hooting of a night are a constant source of mirth!