Barbless Hooks?

dumbartonangler89

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on barbless hooks on lures? Is it worth de-barbing lure hooks or is it better to keep them on?

lax0341

Reaction score
If you have to use barbless hooks it‘s better to flatten the barbs then to buy hooks without barbs.
But you‘ll loose definitely more fish as with barbed hooks. Especially salmon and seatrout.
Unfortunately you have to fish with barbless or debarbed hooks on the danish salmon rivers these days.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Salmon arent too bad with crushed barbs but seatrout are a diffrent matter. If they start to do backflips then all bets are off

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
I used them for salmon only once, on the Varzuga many years ago. Of course on that river there were unbelievable numbers of, mainly small, fish. And good thing that there were. We lost at least a third of the fish we hooked. Usually if they jumped they were off. After that, I wouldn't use them unless it was a rule. For my tubes I now use singles with micro barbs.
I loose more than that with barbed hooks

Handel

Reaction score
Salmon arent too bad with crushed barbs but seatrout are a diffrent matter. If they start to do backflips then all bets are off

I happily fish barbless for salmon. As you say seatrout are a different matter. That seatrout that swims towards you in the dark. There you are wondering where it has gone. Barbless it has probably come off.