Barbel on the Fly (Wear)

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
The old feller caught this last week i forgot to post it for him,fishing the fly at night using floater line intermediate tip,with a 10# purple shrimp pattern- i know now he wasn't expecting this to take the flee.

Estimation 12lbs maybe.Was a fat and very chunky fish.

35357562_10214173652448699_1282400977441259520_n.jpg

Last edited:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Night Fishing for salmon?

What exactly was he fishing for with a size 10 purple shrimp at night????
Certainly not your typical sea trout pattern. Fishing for salmon at night does tend to arouse suspicion of dubious tactics.?

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Fish

What exactly was he fishing for with a size 10 purple shrimp at night????
Certainly not your typical sea trout pattern. Fishing for salmon at night does tend to arouse suspicion of dubious tactics.?

What was he fishing for? er fish :eek:hwell: double handed rod in back ground,so safe to say salmon and st :D Floating line intermediate tip,double hook size ten?? is it starting to sound familiar ?

Would have thought being form Peeble's you would know that :thumb:

Last edited:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
What was he fishing for? er fish :eek:hwell: double handed rod in back ground,so safe to say salmon and st :D Floating line intermediate tip,double hook size ten?? is it starting to sound familiar ?

Having grown up in Peebles I have obviously seen it all and can spot someone fishing illegally from a mile. It was the very fact, that your father was fishing for Salmon with a double handed rod “at night” that sounded rather “fishy”! If he was caught doing that on the Tweed he would get himself arrested.
Obviously Sea Trout are fished for and caught at night but normally, with a single handed rod. Perhaps the double hander is just a “traditional” technique on the Wear.?

Richie50

Reaction score

Dosen’t appear to a line on said rod ?

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Laws and Cultural values

Having grown up in Peebles I have obviously seen it all and can spot someone fishing illegally from a mile. It was the very fact, that your father was fishing for Salmon with a double handed rod “at night” that sounded rather “fishy”! If he was caught doing that on the Tweed he would get himself arrested.
Obviously Sea Trout are fished for and caught at night but normally, with a single handed rod. Perhaps the double hander is just a “traditional” technique on the Wear.?
Well the Law up your neck of the woods doesnt apply here in England and yes your quite right you would get arrested i suppose on the Tweed for what i don't know as they is nothing in the book to say a person cant fish at night for salmon with a salmon rod.
The big legal fishing give away is floating line and intermediate tip,as for not being able to fish the Tweed at night with a big rod well where ya say you were from Peebles? world famous for heavy sinking fly lines morning noon or night-do they still have the fishing there or is it now closed to industrial scale poaching????? or have you now moved away.....

Old tweed Resturants saying "how ya like your salmon sir" the answers were always poached"
Now what are you trying to say deep down? that my dad was out up to no good on the wear with a floating line? Are you like me a new comer to salmon fishing by any chance.
Please if your going to post, make it a positive post please as nagativity don't wash with me or father, and only attracts others to join (mentioning no names) in and make the post a nightmare for genuine readers if ya have anything to say say it in facebook or a PM but dont blacken the thread/post.

If some one else had of posted the piccy would you have still written what you did? Or is this some sort of snidey dig at my father?

PS Take heed "It may be nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!" Your words :lol:

Last edited:

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Ironside

Dosen’t appear to a line on said rod ?

Well Mr Ironside/columbo they is a line and if they wasn't for what ever reason what is your point-come on spit it out? ever thought that the dark may have something to do with it? or that is dads friends rod in the back ground and they were about to go home when dad caught that fish? or they may have been a tangle of some sort and the line had to be cut? many reasons .....not always cloak and dagger...

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
In fairness Iv fished salmon shrimp flies for seatrout at night in the past and had some success on them IMO its the overall profile that counts not what it's called, tied to loosely represent or for what species its aimed at. And Iv had some of my best seatrout on fly using Irish shrimp flies in the day fishing for Salar, neither species reads the description. I couple of years ago I caught a 10lb Barbel on and upstream bar spoon on the Ribble, what does that make me a snatcher?

Last edited:

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
me?

Is that refering to me by any chance? if so does that mean i have got detention? lol ok if it meant for me then sorry for not being as clever as you are? what i loose in grammar i gain in computer skills :thumb:
Plus im still only a kid-so why is everyone in here seem to pick on each other? weird if you ask me.People getting off on picking on a 17 year old...would that be classed as hassling a minor some how or perhaps it may fall into the category of online bullying??
Hey im ok with it what ever floats your boats and all that jazz ...

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Well the Law up your neck of the woods doesnt apply here in England and yes your quite right you would get arrested i suppose on the Tweed for what i don't know as they is nothing in the book to say a person cant fish at night for salmon with a salmon rod.
The big legal fishing give away is floating line and intermediate tip,as for not being able to fish the Tweed at night with a big rod well where ya say you were from Peebles? world famous for heavy sinking fly lines morning noon or night-do they still have the fishing there or is it now closed to industrial scale poaching????? or have you now moved away.....

Old tweed Resturants saying "how ya like your salmon sir" the answers were always poached"
Now what are you trying to say deep down? that my dad was out up to no good on the wear with a floating line? Are you like me a new comer to salmon fishing by any chance.
Please if your going to post, make it a positive post please as nagativity don't wash with me or father, and only attracts others to join (mentioning no names) in and make the post a nightmare for genuine readers if ya have anything to say say it in facebook or a PM but dont blacken the thread/post.

If some one else had of posted the piccy would you have still written what you did? Or is this some sort of snidey dig at my father?

PS Take heed "It may be nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!" Your words :lol:

When I first replied to your post, I did not have a clue who you were, or who your father was. My comments were solely based, on my genuine surprise, that anyone would be out legally fishing for Salmon at night, with a double handed rod, regardless of what line they said they were using.

I now know, your father is a former member of this forum, known as Taddy. A name in the North East for a fishing “fly” used for foul hooking fish. The same as a Wakerburn Angel on the Tweed. Now, that does not necessarily mean he is guilty of any offence, or that he is still using these tequniques but if I was a local Water Bailif, it would certainly get be looking out my night vision glasses to observe this night fishing for salmon.

Out of interest, were the 4 salmon in the post (now deleted) and the 2 in the other, also caught at night?

Sadly, you are quite right, that Peebles and the Upper Tweed have a long history of illegal fishing with big fibreglass rods and heavy lines. Fortunately, this is now, mostly a thing of the past. Fast sinking lines have been banned for the past couple of seasons at Peebles and fishing after dark never allowed.

Now for something positive. It’s a lovely looking Barbel and I am sure it put a good bend in that big old rod.?

Tight lines!

long Preston

Reaction score
Well Mr Ironside/columbo they is a line and if they wasn't for what ever reason what is your point-come on spit it out? ever thought that the dark may have something to do with it? or that is dads friends rod in the back ground and they were about to go home when dad caught that fish? or they may have been a tangle of some sort and the line had to be cut? many reasons .....not always cloak and dagger...

take no notice lad there are some real pilchards on here trying to wind you up. As a long time seatrout fisher at night I have used all sorts of lines, rods and flies-obviously when I was using a 13ft double hander i was up to no good or it may be that I had to cover a lie that I struggled to reach with the single hander.

yes I ususally use a7wt 10 footer but its horses for courses. what you are experiencing is what happens when you post a fish picture-some folks are waiting for them to appear to play spot the problem-its dead, its not 10lb,its too far from the water etc etc-thats why I never post pics

Rrrr

Reaction score
Must say i use my double handed rod into dark and would use it for night fishing as i cant cast a single hander for ****. Its just using what you are confortable with and can cast without hooking youself in the face

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Aren't Barbel bottom feeders?
They are in general but will come up and take a fly or lure as they do eat small fish, same with chubb.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk