Banana style with Marabou and Icelandic Sheep.

tcorfey

Reaction score
A tube in Marabou and Icelandic Sheep.
IMG_1506.jpg

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thank you Patrick, your guidance is always welcome and helpful, I do need to work on my head length when tying tube flys. I will try to keep that in mind on my next fly. Maybe if I drop to a 70 denier from a 140 it will help?
Hi tcorfey, being a bit more economical on number of wraps will help if you’ve got thicker thread- so yes try dropping thickness. Do you use wax? Wax will definitely help in giving you confidence materials are tied in and use less wraps.

I think the point I was making when I looked at the head is that if you tie your front end materials more on the inner, the cone can be pushed more comfortably back to create a snug fit. If you tie the front end hackles/materials on the fat outer- the cone doesn’t always fit and your wraps can stop it sitting nicely. If you look at attached picture - the exposed black inner is where I’d be putting your front end materials. Hope that makes sense, Patrick

5EEBA5DB-50AC-48FE-8572-A30DA6071021.jpeg

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi tcorfey, being a bit more economical on number of wraps will help if you’ve got thicker thread- so yes try dropping thickness. Do you use wax? Wax will definitely help in giving you confidence materials are tied in and use less wraps.

I think the point I was making when I looked at the head is that if you tie your front end materials more on the inner, the cone can be pushed more comfortably back to create a snug fit. If you tie the front end hackles/materials on the fat outer- the cone doesn’t always fit and your wraps can stop it sitting nicely. If you look at attached picture - the exposed black inner is where I’d be putting your front end materials. Hope that makes sense, Patrick

View attachment 61872
As an example, Have a look at this SBS if this helps you can see that the front end of the fly is tied on the inner only.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Thank you Patrick, a picture is worth a thousand words... When I tried this in the past my thread would squeeze the opening where the line went through on the smaller tube. I see you built a taper down to the smaller tube. Perhaps I will try to use a little less pressure and some thinner thread and then do as you showed in the SBS. Wish me luck...

Many thanks for all your help!

Tim C.

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Here is another try still needs some work but I can understand it better now
View attachment 61881
Looking snugger👍 Lol - you had to make life hard for yourself as a practice go with deer hair? I struggle to get a nice finish if it’s just bucktail or fur. I bet if you did one with a hackle collar it’d be a perfect fit. You’ll also find some cones a lot more forgiving - so Eumer cones are like buckets whereas others like some of the hybrid cones really only suit a Flaired hackle like the scandi flies where there’s two or three hackles at the front. All the best, Patrick