Balancing Rod and line

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
As it happens, Glasgow angling are selling Skagits off for £30. I think I'll have the 660 gram for the 15' GT4 Catapult!

:D I just used the Skagit as an example of the kind of changes in taper that you need to get before a line starts being radically different in a given set of conditions.

A Skagit might be a good idea and I know a few folk who use them when conditions are difficult.

However, they were designed to shift big chunks of tungsten tip and they can be a very blunt instrument.

The best advice I can give is to get out and have a go with what you’ve got. Even better, get a lesson or two before you spend any cash on kit.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I've bought an Airflo Rage for £35 for my 14ft SAGE and an Airflo Skagit off fleabay for £18 for the GT4. Not a lot of money, but more peace of mind in case a big wind comes in.
As has been said previously, good casting techniques will outfish a heavy line.
I fish with 5 and 6 weights off the boats on midlands reservoirs and its good technique, not heavy lines that allow me to fish effectively in a big wave.
I'm sure the bailiffs will let me practice at Draycote water. I've spent plenty there in the past hauling overwintered trout out!!!!

Thanks for all of your input here. I fancy, after a couple of seasons, I'll find out what lines suit me, and my rods best, and there will be some lines going on to this forum,..... unused.

Thanks and Tight lines everyone

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Last one!!!
I've an11ft 7wt Vision GT4 Switch rod.
Would a Rio Scandi Short Head 420gr floater suit it? Also what lenght polyleaders would I need?
Cheers once again everyone

Rennie

Reaction score
Geordieboy, you don't need a specific length of poly leader for certain lengths of rod.
Keeping things simple, a poly leader is a tapered leader covered in a sinking polymer.You wouldn't start fishing with any line on any rod with merely 5ft of leader material?, it wouldn't cast well or present well.
In your case what it will boil down to is does the 7 weight switch and the line you use on it have power to turn over Salmon rated poly tips.If it does, then a 10ft Salmon rated poly, to 6ft of your chosen tippet material and off you go, it'll cast great and present perfectly.
If the Salmon polys are too heavy then try 10ft trout polys, but bear in mind they'll be a lessor breaking strain!
You can also use conventional mono tapered leaders too and they will make a great difference to your casting and presentation!.
The thing that will really make a difference is sorting out a leader length that works for you, then sticking to it.
I've 3 switch rods, one a 6 weight is too light for 10ft Salmon polys, so on that rod I use the same formula, either a 10ft Trout poly and 6 ft of tippet, or a 10ft tapered mono leader and the same of tippet.This gives me the same leader length every time, my castings predictable every single time and my final presentation is bang on the money.My heavier 8 weight switch will handle 10ft and 15ft Salmon polys no bother, I use both with the same 6ft of tippet length.
I use the same formula for most of my fishing most of the time for rods of 13ft and less, that 10ft tapered or poly leader and 6ft of tippet.
If I'm using longer rods then I'll lengthen the tapered leader to 12ft/15ft to allow for the longer rod.
Get used to fishing in this way and you will reap the rewards.
Take a little time before you start thrashing away to work things out to suit you best!, nows the ideal time, sat in the chair of an evening perusing the tackle catalogues and threads on here!
Good luck, Pedro.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Last one!!!
I've an11ft 7wt Vision GT4 Switch rod.
Would a Rio Scandi Short Head 420gr floater suit it? Also what lenght polyleaders would I need?
Cheers once again everyone

The Rio website shows the 11' 7" as being salmon rated. Their recommended line weight suggests that the 420 grain would be too light, especially for a novice, with something in the range 460-480 more appropriate.

This accords with my long experience with its predecessor, the 12' #7 GT4 Grilse rod, which balances nicely with the #7 Scandi head at 460 grains.