Balancing Rod and line

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Okay then, I have decided on getting some 10ft Versileaders for the 13ft 9wt GT4 Catapult.
I will also buy the Rio Scandi Kit for the 15ft 10wt GT4 Catapult.

Quesiton is.....do I buy the 9/10wt kit or the 10/11wt kit for the 15ft 10wt GT4 Catapult?

Thanks everyone here for being so supportive, I really appreciate your honest input.

mc andy

Reaction score
Okay then, I have decided on getting some 10ft Versileaders for the 13ft 9wt GT4 Catapult.
I will also buy the Rio Scandi Kit for the 15ft 10wt GT4 Catapult.

Quesiton is.....do I buy the 9/10wt kit or the 10/11wt kit for the 15ft 10wt GT4 Catapult?

Thanks everyone here for being so supportive, I really appreciate your honest input.
10/11#would be my choice.

Do you own a running line? Because you can buy the head for £60 few polys £7 each (10ft int, fast sink, ex fast sink. as a average cost and even a John norris running line for a tenner. So £100 for the same thing basically.

Rennie

Reaction score
budweiser, as long as the tips are the same length and AFTM rating, then its perfectly ok to use differing manufactures tips, its some thing I do a lot with my multi tip lines.According to the blurb, for the 10/11 Greys Multi tip they're 15ft tips-thats where I got my info!.Of course if they're 12ft then it puts them bang in contention to use the Hardy 12ft multi tips of which there's more and with differing sink rates.
I also use 5ft polys on the end of all my 15ft multi tips, which gives me greater casting and presentation and a much more flexible system for sorting the depth I can fish at!.
I use the Guideline sink1/2 and Rio type 3 a lot, they're both pretty close overall, but the Rio as its a single density fishes a tadge deeper than the 1/2 being dual density.
Tha Hardy 12ft float/hover with a 5ft inty poly could be dead tasty!.
Pedro.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
10/11#would be my choice.

Do you own a running line? Because you can buy the head for £60 few polys £7 each (10ft int, fast sink, ex fast sink. as a average cost and even a John norris running line for a tenner. So £100 for the same thing basically.

Hi Mc Andy. I don't have a running line. However, what you are saying makes sense. The RIO Scandi Kit costs £150, and whilst I am not a tight ar5e... (some may argue otherwise), its still quite a saving and I've just bought 2 reels and spools, 100 flies, and 3 rods...…… ;)

I like the idea of using polyleaders as the main casting head shouldn't be too affected by the leader and flies. I have to keep things simple while I work out how to winkle the big silver buggers out of their lairs!!!!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So then, I have plumbed for the Greys Shooting head kit in a 9/10Wt as this weighs in at 41grams which appears to suit my rod best from your kind information. I bought both the Floating and Intermediate kits for a total sum of £115.24. That means I get 2 heads with 6 x 15' tips. I am also ordering 3 Versileaders for the 8/9Wt AFS line I already have on my 13' GT4 Catapult.

So all in all, I'd like to thank you all so very much for your help, and your guidance to help me through the maze of tackle that is out there.
Thanks again

……..now, I'm gonna need some flies...……………...;)

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Okay, I've another rod. Just bought a 14ft 9# Sage Z-Axis.
What shooting head weight will suit this rod. All i know is it is a 9 weight.
Thanks everyone

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So then everyone, my friend has just fished the Tweed and got blown off from that big northerly. I fancy an Airflo RAGE line for my Vision 15' 10wt and my Sage Z axis 14' 9wt.
Assuming the Vision s rated at 38-42grams........ and the SAGE 34-38 grams..... Should I buy a 34 grm head for the SAGE and a 38 gram for the Vision, as the Airflo tips weigh 4 grams?
Thanks again for the education everyone!

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
So then everyone, my friend has just fished the Tweed and got blown off from that big northerly. I fancy an Airflo RAGE line for my Vision 15' 10wt and my Sage Z axis 14' 9wt.
Assuming the Vision s rated at 38-42grams........ and the SAGE 34-38 grams..... Should I buy a 34 grm head for the SAGE and a 38 gram for the Vision, as the Airflo tips weigh 4 grams?

How did you get on with that Greys shooting head kit on the Vision?

Rrrr

Reaction score
If you go for the rage head then i find they work best with a 10ft polyleader, theyl cast with a 5ft but not as well. At the moment im prefering the guideline powertaper head to the rage, its not as easy to cast but also dosent feed heavy and sluggish like the rage on my rod.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi
If you go for the rage head then i find they work best with a 10ft polyleader, theyl cast with a 5ft but not as well. At the moment im prefering the guideline powertaper head to the rage, its not as easy to cast but also dosent feed heavy and sluggish like the rage on my rod.

Hi Rrrr. Thanks for that. I do have 10ft Poly leaders so I could use those. It is just in case of a windy day to be honest. What weight do you use for your rod and what is it weighted for?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Hi

Hi Rrrr. Thanks for that. I do have 10ft Poly leaders so I could use those. It is just in case of a windy day to be honest. What weight do you use for your rod and what is it weighted for?
I use mine on my 13ft 8/9 guideline lpxe and use the 540 grain rage head. I keep mine in my bag for when the winds whipping down the tyne.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I use mine on my 13ft 8/9 guideline lpxe and use the 540 grain rage head. I keep mine in my bag for when the winds whipping down the tyne.

Cheers mate. As I said, my mate was beaten off the tweed with a 40mph northerly. I live in Warwickshire so its a long way to go to not fish!!!!!

NEbody

Reaction score

Which Vision have you got? I had a 14’ Tool and felt that 38g heads were a bit light on that. The 15’ is a step up in power from the 14’.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Cheers mate. As I said, my mate was beaten off the tweed with a 40mph northerly. I live in Warwickshire so its a long way to go to not fish!!!!!
Always worth having it with you as it can save a days fishing and fits in a pocket. Also its handy if you want that extra bit of distance or to get a heavy tube fly out as they do go like a rocket. I know a few people that use them in all weathers as their main line as they cast so well.
The wind yesterday was bad, i was on the coquet and had my switch rod with me. I lasted about an hour before it went back in the car and i got my spinning rod out

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Which Vision have you got? I had a 14’ Tool and felt that 38g heads were a bit light on that. The 15’ is a step up in power from the 14’.
I've got a 15' Vision gt4 Catapult rated 38-42grams and a 14' Sage Z axis rated 34-38grams. I also have a 13' Vision GT4 catapult rated 31grams.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Always worth having it with you as it can save a days fishing and fits in a pocket. Also its handy if you want that extra bit of distance or to get a heavy tube fly out as they do go like a rocket. I know a few people that use them in all weathers as their main line as they cast so well.
The wind yesterday was bad, i was on the coquet and had my switch rod with me. I lasted about an hour before it went back in the car and i got my spinning rod out

I used to live on the River Coquet. My dad was a water bailiff there. I fished and fished as a lad but only ever caught a little sea trout. Roll back 40 years and I visited that stretch and found it had no holding pools but deep water either side of 'my' beat. No wonder i never had a salmon!
So here I am, after all those years now trying to realise my dream of catching a salmon on a double hander, but living so far away it makes me want to cry :)

Rrrr

Reaction score
I used to live on the River Coquet. My dad was a water bailiff there. I fished and fished as a lad but only ever caught a little sea trout. Roll back 40 years and I visited that stretch and found it had no holding pools but deep water either side of 'my' beat. No wonder i never had a salmon!
So here I am, after all those years now trying to realise my dream of catching a salmon on a double hander, but living so far away it makes me want to cry :)
Still salmon in the coquet but not as many as back then. Had this one yesterday morning.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my Tyne trip got cancelled due to COVID....... so as I live in the midlands, it hasn't been cast as yet. I simply don't know!

I would try to establish a baseline to work from. Go out an have a go with the Greys 9/10 kit first. Find a pond or take a ticket at a reservoir to have a crack with it. As highlighted above, 38g looks to be on the light side for your 15ft rod, but that line would likely work really well on the Z-axis.

IMHO The 600grain Rage, or 9/10 kit would likely be a better match with your Vision.

However, I think you'll find you've already got a line that is very similar to a Rage Compact.

- Your Greys 9/10 kit is 630grains, or 41 grams over 44 ft (32ft head + 12ft tip)
- The Rage 8/9 kit is 580grains, or 38 grams over 40ft, (28ft head + 12ft tip)
- The Rage 570 grain stand-alone head is 37 grams over 31ft - You'll want to add a 10ft Poly at 30grains / 2g (for the 10ft intermediate).
- The Rage 600 grain stand alone head is 39 grams over 33ft - You'll want to add a 10ft Poly at 30grains / 2g (for the 10ft intermediate).

Looking at the length of the head and any tip to the point you tie on your tippet

Greys Platinum 9/10 kit - 41 grams at 44ft
Rage 8/9 kit - 38 grams at 40ft
Rage 9/10kit - 41.5 grams at 41ft
Rage 570 + Poly - 39 grams at 43 ft
Rage 600 + Poly - 41 grams at 45 ft

On a slight tangent:

The best way of coping with high winds is through good technique. Although lines can make a difference, there isn't IMLE much of a difference between different line types where weights and lengths are similar.

For example, in high winds the average fishermen will probably find it is significantly easier to get consistent, quality casts using a 33ft Rage Compact than a 63ft Spey line. Of course the average fisherman (and I'm one of them) probably also finds it easier to get decent casts with the 33ft Rage in good conditions too.

Personally I don't find it significantly easier handling a 34g 31ft Rage compared to a 35g 35ft Guideline or even a 36g 39ft Barrio in windy conditions. I do find it easier flinging a 550grain Skagit line around though, because that's only 24ft and is even easier to fling around.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Still salmon in the coquet but not as many as back then. Had this one yesterday morning.

Lovely fish. shame there isn't the stock anymore. We visited a couple of years back and went to holy island. My dad pointed out the nets that the poachers were using....... merrily surrounded by seals.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I would try to establish a baseline to work from. Go out an have a go with the Greys 9/10 kit first. Find a pond or take a ticket at a reservoir to have a crack with it. As highlighted above, 38g looks to be on the light side for your 15ft rod, but that line would likely work really well on the Z-axis.

IMHO The 600grain Rage, or 9/10 kit would likely be a better match with your Vision.

However, I think you'll find you've already got a line that is very similar to a Rage Compact.

- Your Greys 9/10 kit is 630grains, or 41 grams over 44 ft (32ft head + 12ft tip)
- The Rage 570 grain stand-alone head is 37 grams over 31ft - You'll want to add a 10ft Poly at 30grains / 2g (for the 10ft intermediate).
- The Rage 600 grain stand alone head is 39 grams over 33ft - You'll want to add a 10ft Poly at 30grains / 2g (for the 10ft intermediate).

Looking at the length of the head and any tip to the point you tie on your tippet

On a slight tangent:

The best way of coping with high winds is through good technique. Although lines can make a difference, there isn't IMLE much of a difference between different line types where weights and lengths are similar.

For example, in high winds the average fishermen will probably find it is significantly easier to get consistent, quality casts using a 33ft Rage Compact than a 63ft Spey line. Of course the average fisherman (and I'm one of them) probably also finds it easier to get decent casts with the 33ft Rage in good conditions too.

Personally I don't find it significantly easier handling a 34g 31ft Rage compared to a 35g 35ft Guideline or even a 36g 39ft Barrio in windy conditions. I do find it easier flinging a 550grain Skagit line around though, because that's only 24ft and is even easier to fling around.
Fully understand and thank you for taking the time out to answer me in such great detail. as your observation has made very clear, I'd be better off with a skagit line for the odd occasion where it is needed. There simply doesn't appear to be much difference as you have so kindly pointed out between the Greys setup and a RAGE line. I was looking at the RAGE as it is on offer at John Norris's and there is another 10% off today!!!

A very detailed response and one that has made me think twice about what I need next!

I haven't even cast any of these rods for a salmon yet!!!!

Geordieboy

Reaction score

On a slight tangent:

As it happens, Glasgow angling are selling Skagits off for £30. I think I'll have the 660 gram for the 15' GT4 Catapult!

Rennie

Reaction score
I have set ups I use on my smaller 2 handed rods and switch rods, but when the wind gets problematic I reach for one of my Rage lines.
I find they keep me fishing and casting when others have more sense and go home!.
In particular on my 13ft LPXe rated 8/9 I use a short cut RTG Guideline 8/9 head which is a beautiful match and a pleasure to cast and fish with.When the winds uppity then I prefer the 510 grn Rage, I have a 540 grn Rage too but it loads the rod very very deeply.
I use the Rage in general with a 10 ft tapered leader or 10ft poly at the very least, both with 6ft of tippet to the flee. I'll happily go to 15ft polys. in the right circumstances (that usually means longer rods!).
Personally I wouldn't go for the same Rage on both of your rods, there's quite a range of sizes available and its easy- if slightly more expensive!- to source one for each rod as they're rated in grain weight and not aftm line size.
R.E your post on a Skagit line, well yes one will go and easily too, but for some one who's not firmly on the casting ladder they can be a noisey line and cause quite a lot of disturbance!
If you fancy both lines- Skagit and Rage- then Maxcatch Skagits are well worth a pop at for about £13, then if you don't like it, not as much harm done to the wallet!.
Seeing how you've already a multi tip line, do or would you really need a Skagit?, honestly tame the Rage with an effective leader system and go for a right down the middle rating to suit the rod in question, get to know the outfit and learn how to use it and you won't be disappointed!.
Pedro.

P.S by the way, if you're using poly tips, I wouldn't bother including the weight of them in any calculations you do.Most lines are designed to utilise a poly off the front right out of the box, I just get on and use them and I don't have problems!, Rage lines fall firmly in the category of easily handling any poly.