Balancing Rod and line

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Morning all,
I've turned 50 and just decided to take up Salmon fishing.
I have a Vision GT4 Catapult 15' 10#. What Line do I need to balance this rod up?

I do have a Gordon Drury Shooting head 9/10. The tips weigh 7g. I am not sure if this will work and I don't have a river to test cast it.

Your valuable input would be greatly appreciated.

I recently fished the Tay, with a B&W Norway Speycaster 15' 10# and I could hurl 40yds with a Rio shooting head that was on it for me. Lovely rod.

rotenone

Reaction score
anything between 38 to 42 grams total weight will be fine tips and shooting head, if you relax your casting stroke it will be ok with a heavier line also

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bassfly

Reaction score
I use a Rio AFS shooting head kit on my Vision GT4 15 ft and found the 42 gram one to be the best for the rod. This line with cover most of the fishing I do in the UK along with the poly leaders supplied in the kit. If you have a running line and other poly leaders you can just purchase the AFS floating head. You can also get the heads in a number of sink rates for heavier water if the leaders are not enough.
I use the AFS for all my rods are they are available down to 30 grams or 8#.

rotenone

Reaction score
if you want to slow the rod down a bit, and load deep in to the handle, a very good line would be a nextcast zone 500 grain, to which you could add any 15 foot multitip 9 to 11 gram tip and it will be a perfect match, nice and relaxed with alot of feeling, if want to casr off the tip with polyleaders 38 or 40 gram heads will be nice

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I have just weighed my Bill Drury Spey Line, and it comes in at 46grams incl the tip. The tips weigh 7grams. Sounds about righ then for the GT4 catapult?
What do you think?
The gentleman I bought it off had used it 6 times, the whole kit is brand new.

rotenone

Reaction score
I have just weighed my Bill Drury Spey Line, and it comes in at 46grams incl the tip. The tips weigh 7grams. Sounds about righ then for the GT4 catapult?
as long as you slow right down it will be ok, that weight is too much for casting of the tip of the rod but if yoh just relax a bit it will be fine

paddymc

Reaction score
What do you think?

46g would be too heavy for that rod imho.

A floating head between 38g and 42g would be best.

rotenone

Reaction score
What do you think?
is it a multitip shooting head or a spey line? I thought we were talking about shorter shooting heads that where my advice will be relevant

rotenone

Reaction score
What do you think?
post a picture of the line , the taper and length of the head makes the difference, basically anything between 9 metres and 13 metres I would advise 38 to 42 grams.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
This is the Smaller Line. I think that I have the 10Wt on the reel. It is a shooting head that takes tips is all I know. I weighed the mainline up to the running line and added the tip weight and it came in at 46grams.
It has a 65ft head and a 55ft running line.

Spey Line 1.PNG
Spey Line 2.PNG

rotenone

Reaction score
This is the Smaller Line. I think that I have the 10Wt on the reel. It is a shooting head that takes tips is all I know. I weighed the mainline up to the running line and added the tip weight and it came in at 46grams.
It has a 65ft head and a 55ft running line.

View attachment 47266View attachment 47267
thats a spey line mt what most people were advising on were shorter heads

Geordieboy

Reaction score
My apologies. I've fly fished since I was 6 years old, (44years in total), but I am completely new to this game. I'm hoping this balances my 10wt then. As I move forwards, I will upgrade to the Scandi Lines. What has been written here is a great guide for what I need, so thank you everybody.

Jer

Reaction score
If you are new to spey casting you may run into difficulty trying to efficiently cast the 65ft Head... If you wanted to try a "longer" belly line you would be better going for either a 54ft Gaelforce equaliser or a 54ft Carron Jet Stream.
The tapers on either of these two lines is much less aggressive compared to shooting head/scakgit set ups... where the weight of the line is compressed in a shorter length... affording a little more finesse in the casting stroke/delivery... and if you wanted to learn how to spey cast properly perhaps a better option for a beginner... you can always jump to the shorter headed lines afterwards... it is much more difficult to go the other way if your experience is limited to shooting heads/skagit/scandi.
There is a great casting instructor not too far away from you if you are based in Newcastle... look up Alan Maughan.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
If you are new to spey casting you may run into difficulty trying to efficiently cast the 65ft Head... If you wanted to try a "longer" belly line you would be better going for either a 54ft Gaelforce equaliser or a 54ft Carron Jet Stream.
The tapers on either of these two lines is much less aggressive compared to shooting head/scakgit set ups... where the weight of the line is compressed in a shorter length... affording a little more finesse in the casting stroke/delivery... and if you wanted to learn how to spey cast properly perhaps a better option for a beginner... you can always jump to the shorter headed lines afterwards... it is much more difficult to go the other way if your experience is limited to shooting heads/skagit/scandi.
There is a great casting instructor not too far away from you if you are based in Newcastle... look up Alan Maughan.

Hi Jer

Although a pure bred Geordie, I now live in the midlands (I know....there are no salmon in the canals here). I was comfortably pumping 40yd casts with the Norway Speycaster and the Rio Shooting heads (about 50% of the time ;)). If these lines (The Bill Drury lines came with the rod), are too difficult to cast, then I will look at the shorter Scandi heads as you suggest. I think this is the way forwards.
Thanks very much for your input.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
If you want a wide range of tips for starting out, have a look at the Just One Week blog, which is written specifically for novices. There are altogether over 100 chapters to explore.

Fear not, once upon a time, I took up 2 handed fly fishing for salmon at the age of 50, after a lifetime on trout.

Welcome to the Forum and tight lines.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
If you want a wide range of tips for starting out, have a look at the Just One Week blog, which is written specifically for novices. There are altogether over 100 chapters to explore.

Fear not, once upon a time, I took up 2 handed fly fishing for salmon at the age of 50, after a lifetime on trout.

Welcome to the Forum and tight lines.
Many Thanks MCXFisher!!!!!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi Chaps, I spoke to Sportfish yesterday, and they pointed me in the direction of the Greys Shooting head kit with tips. This is significantly cheaper than the Rio. They can be picked up for £73. Half the price of the RIO. Whilst I always use RIO lines for my trout fishing, as I am just kicking off, what are your thoughts on this as a Scandi outfit for me to load my 15ft rod? I anticipate only 6 trips a year due to my location in the midlands.

Rennie

Reaction score
Were I you I'd try the Mike Barrio Integrated Short Spey line- ISS- in 10/11. the head on this is 43 gram, much closer to what your rod will perform with.
Now this is a full line, complete with integrated running line, but as its a short head it will perform very much like a shooting head, but you won't have loops between head/running line to contend with.
Now, its a lot cheaper than most of the competition!, a class piece of kit!. Couple it to a full set of 10ft salmon Poly Tips and you'll have an easy to use outfit that will reward in spades once you get a grip of casting etc..
The Greys line will make a good outfit too!, and remember, you can use any other type of 15ft tips on the front not just Greys, as long as they're 10/11 rated..If you buy the Greys head kit in floating, were I you, scout the t'interweb and you'll find the 10/11 Intermediate kit for about £40, which has the 3 quicker sinking tips as well as the Intermediate head.That will give you a very very versatile outfit indeed!.
Best of luck and tight lines, Pedro.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Were I you I'd try the Mike Barrio Integrated Short Spey line- ISS- in 10/11. the head on this is 43 gram, much closer to what your rod will perform with.
Now this is a full line, complete with integrated running line, but as its a short head it will perform very much like a shooting head, but you won't have loops between head/running line to contend with.
Now, its a lot cheaper than most of the competition!, a class piece of kit!. Couple it to a full set of 10ft salmon Poly Tips and you'll have an easy to use outfit that will reward in spades once you get a grip of casting etc..
The Greys line will make a good outfit too!, and remember, you can use any other type of 15ft tips on the front not just Greys, as long as they're 10/11 rated..If you buy the Greys head kit in floating, were I you, scout the t'interweb and you'll find the 10/11 Intermediate kit for about £40, which has the 3 quicker sinking tips as well as the Intermediate head.That will give you a very very versatile outfit indeed!.
Awesome response Rennie. Really very much appreciated!!!!

onelastcast

Reaction score
great advice from Rennie with the Barrio short spey -just to confuse things another option along those lines is the michael evans mini twin line #9-10 which is a short head spey line which just seems to cast on whatever you put it on might be another option onelastcast

Geordieboy

Reaction score
If I buy a RIO SCANDI kit in a 10/11, it is a full shooting head system......
...would I be able to use the Versitips which are 15ft, on the RIO AFS 8-9 line which I have on my other reel?

budweiser

Reaction score
A very detailed response. I’ve been using the Greys multi tip line 10/11 wt for a couple of seasons now and it’s been excellent.
Your comment re using other tips......the line comes with 12ft tips. I would have thought if I had purchased other brand 12ft or 15ft tips, if the overall weight changed, the line wouldn’t work the same. Am o mistaken and missing an opportunity?

mc andy

Reaction score
If I buy a RIO SCANDI kit in a 10/11, it is a full shooting head system......
...would I be able to use the Versitips which are 15ft, on the RIO AFS 8-9 line which I have on my other reel?
So so much confusion always follows the whole rio range?

Firstly the Rio scandi kit doesn't use 15ft versitips, it uses versi leaders (polyleaders) versi leaders are rio's own brand of poly.

However? The Rio scandi versitip (svt or ssvt) does use 15ft or 10ft versitips. These tips are part of the scandi head and are weighted according. Basically they cut 15ft of the front of the head, loop it and give you 4 different density tips for convenience.

Polyleader are part of your leader, much lighter and the weight doesn't count at all in the head weight of a shooting head.

This confusion is very common and I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Cheers andy

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So so much confusion always follows the whole rio range?

Firstly the Rio scandi kit doesn't use 15ft versitips, it uses versi leaders (polyleaders) versi leaders are rio's own brand of poly.

However? The Rio scandi versitip (svt or ssvt) does use 15ft or 10ft versitips. These tips are part of the scandi head and are weighted according. Basically they cut 15ft of the front of the head, loop it and give you 4 different density tips for convenience.

Polyleader are part of your leader, much lighter and the weight doesn't count at all in the head weight of a shooting head.

This confusion is very common and I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Cheers andy

Flippin' Brilliant Andy!!!! Completely understand!!!