Bad back when underhand casting ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Could have been a coincidence but yesterday the fishing was a bit slow so decided to have a mess about with propper underhand style casting. My back was aching after an hour so went back to regular casting still using my bottom hand but not a propper low underhand cast. Just a coincidence or does that style of casting tend to tweak the back abit more ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Piker20

Reaction score
Odd you say that. I too noticed some tension in my back yesterday with the scandi rod and underhand. The wind was akward so the rod wasn't held as near to me as normal which may have contributed.

think it will be related to holding the balance of the rod in the right hand and pulling with the left, it's not distributing the weight and effort equally across your body.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Odd you say that. I too noticed some tension in my back yesterday with the scandi rod and underhand. The wind was akward so the rod wasn't held as near to me as normal which may have contributed.

think it will be related to holding the balance of the rod in the right hand and pulling with the left, it's not distributing the weight and effort equally across your body.
I was adopting a bit of a low angled sweep round to what would be the key position so maybe thats it.

Piker20

Reaction score
Our bodies are very clever at developing muscle memory and when we start moving a(some) Muscle that we normally dont it is easy to feel it, especially as we mature:attention:

suirspey

Reaction score
It's an interesting one, had you hands closer together for the UH cast? Rod also closer to centre. I find if I throw the bottom hand out too far it can drag the back

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
My lower backs knackerd to start with but normal casting with the 13 footer dosent give me any bother. This definately was more of a muscle type pain so thats probably it. Only decided to cast underhand as my shoulder was acheing from launching rapalas about all morning lol

Piker20

Reaction score
It's an interesting one, had you hands closer together for the UH cast? Rod also closer to centre. I find if I throw the bottom hand out too far it can drag the back

I think that was my issue, I had the rod at odd angles to get around the awkward wind.

Rrrr

Reaction score

Yea i did have my top hand slightly lower than i usualy would but i do tend to have a low top grip anyway. Also i probably was exagerating the bottom hand movement to try and get a bit more distance.

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Just out of interest Rrrr,what was your set up,i.e. line length,density and leader make up,
True Under hand is very much a floating line technique using long leaders and shallow wading any thing else can put a strain on the body,i regularly use the true style but havent experienced any back issues as such,it is not a distance style either,scandi style is far better for this along with deeper wading and sink tips or sinking lines with shooting heads

Rrrr

Reaction score
Just out of interest Rrrr,what was your set up,i.e. line length,density and leader make up,
True Under hand is very much a floating line technique using long leaders and shallow wading any thing else can put a strain on the body,i regularly use the true style but havent experienced any back issues as such,it is not a distance style either,scandi style is far better for this along with deeper wading and sink tips or sinking lines with shooting heads
13ft lpxe with an airflo rage floater, 10ft poly leader intermediate with about 2 to 3 foot of maxima and a temple dog cone head. Wasnt wading deep maybe knee high on average. Casting wise i was switching between a double spey and snake roll.

Last edited:

suirspey

Reaction score
Agree totally.. it's a short shooting head style, longer or sinking lines just don't get around into the D properly. You end up forcing the cast and throwing the back into it more as well. For me to get it to work I have to exaggerate the high tip path

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Only other issue i found was that it was throwing a decent loop but pretty high so was having to kill the cast once or twice for the far bank trees. Ill give it a shot on the tyne next weekend with a bit more room to play with as the coquet can be quite tight to cast at times.

Bawheid

Reaction score
Any style of cast knackers my back after an hour or two, obviously down to bad technique and age! I have to use a back brace if I want to fish all day and a pack of ibuprofen.

First day of the season for me tomorrow on the Tyne sooo looking forward to it :cool:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Aye it should be canny for the next couple of days untill the forecast northeasterly starts to blow through later in the week. I carry a pack of ibuprofen in my fishing bag as i always end up with something or other acheing by the end of the day.

wetwader

Reaction score
The equipment sounds good. It shouldn’t result in aching bones or muscles. It’s not only technique, windy days or unbalanced equipment.
What about sports and body trainings?
Fishing is no sport in sense of word. Even if it would be, we would need some training in wintertime, before the season starts again.
Especially when becoming older, regularly sport or gentlemen’s gymnastic can bring additional years of fishing and fun...
Cheers
Roland

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Could have been a coincidence but yesterday the fishing was a bit slow so decided to have a mess about with propper underhand style casting. My back was aching after an hour so went back to regular casting still using my bottom hand but not a propper low underhand cast. Just a coincidence or does that style of casting tend to tweak the back abit more ?

Could be that your posture changed due to the unfamiliar casting style and you may have been leaning forward too much unknowingly, putting strain on the back. Quite common and certainly happens a lot with a spinning rod and fixed spool reel. Next time you have a go, be aware of your posture and try to keep your body upright. Just a thought ?

Last edited:

wetwader

Reaction score
Of course one wrong step, wrong position or movement -not used to - can be enough, to cause problems, when there are not enough stabilizing and trained muscles!
If there are reasonable trained muscles, one hour casting of an experienced, no matter what style or experiments in body movements, can’t cause problems for the back. Impossible.
Do yourself a favor and do body training to safe your back and bones for coming years of fishing, as long as there is no serious handicap. There are a lot of deeper muscles involved, not only the bigger muscle groups.
Cheers
Roland

Killbarry

Reaction score
Underhand

One thing that springs to mind is that I've not seen mention of body rotation during the cast. It may be that you are not rotating your body and trying to complete the cast by extending your arms which would put strain on your back.

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
Backs

I suffer and have done for years,last year i was laid up for 6 weeks during middle july to end of august nearly. My prob is one of me discs in my back has wore away over the years.
I still use a fiberglass rod though as thats what i know and changing rods isnt for me so i put up with it.gone are the all nighters for me only a few hours a time these days.

See ya doctor for advice and medicines or remidies,Cannabis extracts are now or will soon be available on prescription and it certainly works on bad backs.Maybe not for you i dont know?

Rrrr

Reaction score
I suffer and have done for years,last year i was laid up for 6 weeks during middle july to end of august nearly. My prob is one of me discs in my back has wore away over the years.
I still use a fiberglass rod though as thats what i know and changing rods isnt for me so i put up with it.gone are the all nighters for me only a few hours a time these days.

See ya doctor for advice and medicines or remidies,Cannabis extracts are now or will soon be available on prescription and it certainly works on bad backs.Maybe not for you i dont know?
Docs have had a look over the years and apart from fixing the discs theres not alot they can do so its painkillers and putting up with it really. Was looking at that cbd oil stuff but never got around to trying it. My back dosent stop me doing anything it just hurts and seizes up when i rest it.

Bawheid

Reaction score
Docs have had a look over the years and apart from fixing the discs theres not alot they can do so its painkillers and putting up with it really. Was looking at that cbd oil stuff but never got around to trying it. My back dosent stop me doing anything it just hurts and seizes up when i rest it.

Have you tried a back Brace Rrrr? I recently got a better one for £25 its a Hodgeman, very very good, give it a go. Works for me

wetwader

Reaction score

Not that difficult this year to rest the back from salmon fishing...

Maybe you only won time to do something to strenghten your back ? After fishing is always the beginning of fishing ...
Still around all day with work on cars? Could be one reason for your back issues. Maybe there are options to save your back by some changes there? No matter where it comes from, OP is always the very last option.
All recommendations are pointing to two main ways, simplified:
Physically: stabilizing the back by stronger muscles
Psychically: to learn to say no - more often
But do not combine it ! (No to sports):)

Good luck with your back!

P.S.:
I also use a back saver as mentioned by leckytech. I had the smaller Simms before and for some years I got the bigger Simms now.
The advantage of the big Simms is the stabilization over the whole back, it´s possibility to open it up to sit down or go down on the knees when in need to do so without deattaching it. It is also ventilated. That´s important for the summer months.
Using it myself only for the tougher salmon fishing when on the water for many hours, days and weeks .... I would recommend it.
It´s built like an orthopedic back saver. After wearing both, I would say this is the only one that makes sense if really in need of one ! It really works !

Not knowing who is inside of the waders, it may look a little erotic from behind, somehow like a womens article to make a slim waistline:shocked::D
And for safety I wear it inside the waders most of the time...:lol::lol::lol:

SIMMS Belts : Flyfish Europe AS

Rrrr

Reaction score
I hurt my back years ago when i was about 18 at the gym on an old style lat machine and didnt have my weight belt tight enough and felt it pop. I was working as a pioefitter welder at the time and doing silly hours so never gave it the chance to heal as i was carrying huge bits of pipe and welding bottles up the stairs etc as i was young and daft so it never really got any better. Its alot better these days as ive learned how to avoid tweaking it when possible. Its not bad when i cast normaly just when i cast underhand so i just avoid that style of casting when possible. Its never ended a fishing session as i just put up with it and get the job done as im stuborn. The main thing that hurts mine is picking my kids up, they are fine once on my shoulders but carrying them in the regular way knacks my back.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Also if you are ever on the river bank and see someone dangling by there arms like a monkey from a tree branch its probably my stretching my back out. It looks odd but it works a treat