Backing "sliding" on Hardy Cascapedia reel

PeterHolmelin

Reaction score
I have a brand new Cascapedia reel from Hardys, that I am setting up, but I have the Problem that the Backing is "sliding" on the spool so the break is not in effect. ( I have all the backing on the reel )

I have attached the Backing to the reel with a uni-knot ( how I have done it on all my large arbor reels..)

How do I "attach" the Backing so it will not slide in the reel ?

Any help is appreciated..

/Peter

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
I can imagine this problem on a Cascapedia? Knots have never been my strong point and so I often have the same problem with attaching the backing to the spool and then even backing to fly line.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Big reels, for big rivers and big fish I guess? Hard to imagine a scenario where you would ever see the backing so far down in fighting a fish? I’ve read about it happening in Russia though

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This post linked from the American forum has been used by many anglers including myself; Connecting Backing to your Fly Reel

Large or small arbor there is zero slipping if you do it correctly. The video is simple because the young man uses a heavy cord to demonstrate the knot process.

Ard

PeterHolmelin

Reaction score
This post linked from the American forum has been used by many anglers including myself; Connecting Backing to your Fly Reel

Large or small arbor there is zero slipping if you do it correctly. The video is simple because the young man uses a heavy cord to demonstrate the knot process.

Ard
Thanks for the link - this is just like I have done ( and always have done ) - but on this reel the backing slips...

I will give the solution suggested with mono-line a shot..

Thank You for all your help..

Rennie

Reaction score
The reason your backing is slipping is because the spool has an "eggshell finish", in short its a slippier matt finish.This is simply allowing your backing to slip round the spool all the time.
Bob along to your local sports field ( when its not in use of course! ), run all the fly line and backing off in a straight line.
Remove all the backing from the spool and in the very end of the backing tie a series of 3 overhand knots one after the other to form one big knot.Pull them all tight, then wind the backing round the spool twice then loop the free end ( with the big knot ) through the two loops on the reel twice, a further two loops round the reel ( with the big knot end ) again and once more twice through the loops with the free end.Draw it all down nice n snug and neat with the big knot as close to the loops going round the reel as you can.
Take a turn of electrical insulation tape and stick it to the reel spool over the backing from just behind the big knot for a full turn of the reel over the backing and cover the big knot.Smooth it down then wind all the backing on under a nice even pressure and then your fly line too.
The tape will stop your backing rotating on the spool and all the backing wound on top under even pressure will keep pressure on the tape and in short it'll never shift unless you remove the backing and hack it off.
All my reels are fettled in this way- I learned that particular lesson years ago.
Pedro.

Andrew B

Reaction score
The reason your backing is slipping is because the spool has an "eggshell finish", in short its a slippier matt finish.This is simply allowing your backing to slip round the spool all the time.
Bob along to your local sports field ( when its not in use of course! ), run all the fly line and backing off in a straight line.
Remove all the backing from the spool and in the very end of the backing tie a series of 3 overhand knots one after the other to form one big knot.Pull them all tight, then wind the backing round the spool twice then loop the free end ( with the big knot ) through the two loops on the reel twice, a further two loops round the reel ( with the big knot end ) again and once more twice through the loops with the free end.Draw it all down nice n snug and neat with the big knot as close to the loops going round the reel as you can.
Take a turn of electrical insulation tape and stick it to the reel spool over the backing from just behind the big knot for a full turn of the reel over the backing and cover the big knot.Smooth it down then wind all the backing on under a nice even pressure and then your fly line too.
The tape will stop your backing rotating on the spool and all the backing wound on top under even pressure will keep pressure on the tape and in short it'll never shift unless you remove the backing and hack it off.
All my reels are fettled in this way- I learned that particular lesson years ago.
Pedro.
What a great system. Gotta have a system.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Pull the lot off and add leccy tape or a rubber band to the spool and start again.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

glenelg100

Reaction score
Tie the backing to a rubber band leaving a tag end of about 6”/8”,, now wind the elastic band around the spool, now wind the 6/8” tag around the spool and tie tightly. Then load reel as normal

P!scator

Reaction score
Pedro.

What a Faff! Use an arbor knot. Just make sure the backing goes over the top & wrap around the spool twice or 3 times before tying, it will tighten up & never slips

images.jpeg.jpg

meyre

Reaction score
I like Rennie's super-dooper no nonsense , too tough for Alexander-the-Great knot! With Frodoodle's pink platinium twist @ 14pence a meter
you don't want it coming a-drift

paddymc

Reaction score
What a Faff! Use an arbor knot. Just make sure the backing goes over the top & wrap around the spool twice or 3 times before tying, it will tighten up & never slips

View attachment 67375
This is the easiest and most effective solution.

For extra security, I first have 2 or 3 turns around the spool and tie 3 or 4 overhand knots together on the tag end 👍

williegunn2

Reaction score
Would a drop of Superglue on top of the Arbor knot just be a belt and braces approach?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link - this is just like I have done ( and always have done ) - but on this reel the backing slips...

I will give the solution suggested with mono-line a shot..

Thank You for all your help..
Strange, I have one of the reissue reels from 2007 when they were a fairly new old thing and it has a rather tiny arbor on the spool. It is a size 8/9 and I put about 80 yards of backing on it with no problems. That 8/9 will hold a 65 foot Mid Spey with integrated running line in case anyone would wonder.

When you attach the knot as shown in the video you need to consider the direction which you will be retrieving when you tie the knot. Wrong direction with the knot, it will slide.