Backing amount and type help?

mc andy

Reaction score
All the information you need on this thread, and more.

Cheers andy

Tim1984

Reaction score
Just wondering how much it should hold and can I get away with 50lb to use more space?

mc andy

Reaction score
Depends on where your fishing I suppose? If in the UK I would suggest then yes you'll get say easy 200yds 50lb backing,
Never seen the need for 400 yds of backing? Figure if a fish takes you that distance chances of landing it got to be slim.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I’ve often wondered about the amount of backing , especially in Scotland, I’ve never had a salmon that has taken me to the backing, nor the others I’ve seen caught , none of them either. I think you would need lots where the salmon can be huge

Stincharlad

Reaction score
I've been out into the backing a good few times especially on the Tay when you get a decent fish on and they get out and use the current. But I would be surprised if you needed any more than 150yds of backing.

Rennie

Reaction score
It dosen't do any harm to have say 200yds of backing on a reel what so ever at all, especially on bigger rivers. Increases the retrieve rate of your reels for one thing. and helps prevent any line from becoming coil bound too. I'd agree in that most fish will rarely if ever run out a full 40yd line, or a head and full running line, but when you need it that 1st time, you'll soon understand why it's a sensible precaution. In a big pool or pool tail out, all it takes is for Salar to stop swimming and drift off with the current or use the flow and you can loose 100yds in the blink of an eye!.
As far as diameter of backing go's, well if its a large capacity reel I find its better to fit backing in two stages.Your normal run of the mill 30lb dacron next to your line and then the thicker stuff to bulk up next to the reel spindle.That way when you do have a fish run you into the backing, the level and thus retrieve rate won't drop alarmingly, you'll still keep a reasonable diameter to the reel for retrieve and very importantly to slow the speed the reel revolves at!.
Some of my Marquis 3's carry in excess of 300yds of dacron.If that ever see's the light of day, any fish is about to drop off or break me pretty soon!.
Pedro.

Handel

Reaction score
All comes down to experience. I have a couple of reels with about 400 yards of backing on. glenelg100 has it right. If you get hold of something large surprising things can happen. I have once been down to about 100 yards of backing on one of those reels 😲. The fish of course came off but after much winding I recovered everything apart from the fly and some leader. That wasn't in Scotland. And I have on another occasion seen over a hundred yards disappear as if I had hooked a bonefish.

Greegs

Reaction score
I like to have my spools filled to capacity as then the fly line isn’t coiled as tight & if you do get a fish of a lifetime then you should have enough there to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc andy

Reaction score
I like to have my spools filled to capacity as then the fly line isn’t coiled as tight & if you do get a fish of a lifetime then you should have enough there to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think anyone is suggesting having a reel half or under filled, but substitute say fine braids of say 400 yds to a thicker dacron of 50lbs and only spooling 200yds.

Both reels will or should be filled to capacity.