B &w Grilse rod

kimbo

Reaction score
I bought a 12ft 7/8 B&W Grilse Rod blind in an auction for £5. It needs some work but it sound and it cast a lovely line (afs)7/8 on grass.
Can anyone tell me anything about it, it’s quite old

Rennie

Reaction score
This rod is from the days of DT lines when most rivers held substantial Grilse runs.It will appear heavy compared to modern 12fters,but it will be quite robust.Now it'll be quite soft and through actioned to help with the smaller size and softer mouths of Grilse,Summer Salmon and Sea Trout and to best facilitate the casting of the DT lines it was designed for. Also very handy for the finer wired and smaller hooks used to such ends-as the more general 15fters about then would have felt a lot more "pokey" or even "stodgy" back in those days and been a little more on the too powerful side for such sized fish and the kit used to seek them out!.
Bear in mind, back then every thing seemed more on the "firm" side to deal with longer heavier lengths of DT lines and the bigger heavier tubes often used to get down.Rod and line development was still in its relative infancy then!.
If its a rod you'll have use for, then certainly worth a bit of time engaging in a spot of restoration work to get the best from it.
Pedro.

kimbo

Reaction score
Thanks Rennie,
Although it is heavy in comparison to today's 12ft rods it's not heavy to fish with. It's got a nice through action which casts the outbound easily without any effort. I'm going to give it a go on the Alness in October and if it passes the test I will strip it down re ring it and put a new screw winch on it and new cork handle.
Kim

Tyke

Reaction score
I wouldn’t change the handle if it’s sound - just secure the sliding ring with a couple of turns of decent (3M) electrical tape (same for the joints) & it will hold any reel securely irrespective of whether it’s a short foot modern American reel or a long foot historic British one.
Much more comfy than a cold metal reel seat with raised threads etc.
I have the next heavier one - the 12 ft Silver Stream, it’s a great rod to play a fish on.
Tyke.

Last edited:

billy fish

Reaction score
Thanks Tyke, the top joint is worn at the spigot, I am going to have to take a small amount off the top section to make the joint a snug fit.

Try the graphite spray first. I used it on one of my beach casters and it worked a treat. You can borrow it for a trip in your boat.

Tyke

Reaction score
Thanks Tyke, the top joint is worn at the spigot, I am going to have to take a small amount off the top section to make the joint a snug fit.

Try giving the worn spigot a light coat of slow setting epoxy, let it set fully (i.e. a week) & gently rub it down with fine emery paper until it fits correctly. & tape the joints just in case.

Tyke.

Richardgw

Reaction score
As you only paid a fiver you could always send it back to Bruce and Walker for an overhaul. It would likely as not come back looking like new. It might be worth giving them a call to see what they might charge.