B&W 11'3" #7/9 vs Rio Windcutter II #7

Roeblue

Reaction score
Haven't been here for a while - where's "Tackle Talk" gone?!?!

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a multi tip for my wee Bruce and Walker 11'3" double hander, rated #7/9. I have an #8/9 Airflo Quick Spey multi tip but it seems too heavy for the 11'3". Has anybody used a #7 Rio Widcutter II Versitip with such a rod and, if so, what was your verdict?

Would they be a good match for a medium spate river?

Cheers.

bankwheel

Reaction score
tell me about your B&W 11'3" i've always fancied one for our small rivers here in Ayrshire, can you still get them?

miramichi

Reaction score
Haven't been here for a while - where's "Tackle Talk" gone?!?!

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a multi tip for my wee Bruce and Walker 11'3" double hander, rated #7/9. I have an #8/9 Airflo Quick Spey multi tip but it seems too heavy for the 11'3". Has anybody used a #7 Rio Widcutter II Versitip with such a rod and, if so, what was your verdict?

Would they be a good match for a medium spate river?

Cheers.

I am assuming that the 11'3" 7/9 is rated for a standard 7/9 fly line. If so the Windcutter spey line in the same weight will be far too heavy a line for it, and the 55' head with tip would also be far too long for the rod to easily work with. Rio does make that multi tip line for standard fly lines sizes, and I think that is what you want. The non spey line is just called the Rio Versi Tip fly line.

Last edited:

Roeblue

Reaction score
tell me about your B&W 11'3" i've always fancied one for our small rivers here in Ayrshire, can you still get them?

Indeed you can, check out Bruce & Walker's website:

www.bruceandwalker.co.uk/rods.php?show=14

or even Steven J Fawcett's:

http://www.fawcettsonline.com/brands/Bruce-&-Walker.html

I've had it for about 10 years now and love it. I normally use a DT8F with polyleaders or a DT9I and have had fish to just over 10lbs on it. My local river is a medium sized spate river and I'll reach for it as the water drops away.

Roeblue

Reaction score
I am assuming that the 11'3" 7/9 is rated for a standard 7/9 fly line. If so the Windcutter spey line in the same weight will be far too heavy a line for it, and the 55' head with tip would also be far too long for the rod to easily work with. Rio does make that multi tip line for standard fly lines sizes, and I think that is what you want. The non spey line is just called the Rio Versi Tip fly line.

Thanks for replying. The line I'm looking at is the 6/7/8 Windcutter II Versitip with a 49' head. Do you still reckon it'll be a bit too much?

Solwayeddie

Reaction score
I have this rod and use a 7/8 AFS rio line with 10 ft versileaders, it also goes well with Sewincaster lines although these are not multi tips.
Eddie

scotty fae bains

Reaction score
line for your rod

I think the way to go is the rio afs outbound 7/8 weight floating line and just use the 7'ft versi tips.
I use this line on my vision catapult 11'ft 6 switch rod and it really fly's out, and i think it would match up with your rod perfectly,

Kind Regards

Scotty

scotty

Reaction score
i know its not a muilti tip but have you considered an Airflo 40+ #9,
i have the same rod and it works, with a 35 foot head not hard to work either.:cool:

scott.

AidenSmith

Reaction score
I haven't fished that particular rod, but the Rio #7/8 Steelhead and Salmon line is worth considering.

pond.olive

Reaction score
Having just acquired a Rio Steelhead Scandi 385grain(31ft head+ polyleader if wanted)) for my Redington CPX 7/8 11'3", and find that it flies pretty well on both that and an Orvis 7wt 10ft I added a spey handle to the bottom of, making it also 11'3", I have little hesitation in suggesting to you that it is certainly worth some research. Suggest looking at Speypages for someone with the B&W. There's bound to one there somewhere.

I would very much like to compare the action of your B&W with my two. Pity we're a long way apart. See also my posts in the 'lines' section.http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?30317-Rio-Steelhead-Scandi

pond.olive

Reaction score
From limited use, and, so far, only on our very slow Fenland river, I would say that the Rio Steelhead Scandi would be good for small/medium river use, and easier than the AFS in those waters. It casts very easily without a polyleader and with a 15ft tapered mono leader so disturbance shouldn't be much of a problem on small waters, but if you need to extend the distance, a poly on it would still be fine. I am very impressed with this line. It's a pity no-one seems to stock it over here in the UK.

Tyke

Reaction score
Paulsewin has this rod & uses the #7/8 Scierra MWF shooting head system on it, I had a go with & found it excellant for small river use [we were on the Luce] especially as these heads are pretty short at this rating so were ideal in confined spaces & gave a nice gentle presentation.

Regards, Tyke.

Roeblue

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, the choice seems quite large and provides plenty of food for thought. I've settled on a line purely from the financial aspect (which is, in a word, limited!) and I'll let you konow how I get on once the rain and our main grilse run arrives.

Tight lines to all.

Richardgw

Reaction score
i know its not a muilti tip but have you considered an Airflo 40+ #9,
i have the same rod and it works, with a 35 foot head not hard to work either.:cool:

scott.

Whilst I don't have the 11'3" I do have a 10'6" B&W Salmon/Sea trout 7/9 fitted with a 4" extension handle and used double handed, which should be similar. For this latter rod I agree with Scotty and find an airflo 40+ floater #9 excellent for spey casting and very very easy. The line also turns over 10' salmon polyleaders a treat.

If using a sinking line however I suggest the #8 as I find the Airflo 40+ #9 fast intermediate a touch heavy on my rod. Indeed B&W recommend a DT8 so an Airflo 40+ #8 floater might be best of all and not at all expensive.

Richard

scotty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, the choice seems quite large and provides plenty of food for thought. I've settled on a line purely from the financial aspect (which is, in a word, limited!) and I'll let you konow how I get on once the rain and our main grilse run arrives.

Tight lines to all.

Which line did you decide on? Im in the market for a new line for my one.

Scott

Roeblue

Reaction score
Meant to let you know how I faired. Got an Airflo multi tip line that came with 3 tips and can't remember the name of it! Didn't get on with it at all so went back to the tried and tested Cortland 444 DT8F with polyleaders.

Broke my duck for this year on Sunday using a 5' slow sink polyleader, with a spanking hen of around 10lbs - 29" in length - that swam off strongly.

Earlier I practiced long distance C&R with a fish that was lightly hooked and splashed on the surface a lot. Had a tail like my 2 hands together!!

Roeblue

Reaction score
Which line did you decide on? Im in the market for a new line for my one.

Scott

Scott - watched a fellow angler casting a Lee Wulff Ambush floater with an intermediate polyleader on a switch rod. Got chatting and he's almost convinced me to get one!

scotty

Reaction score
i recently cut a #11 orvis wonderline floater down to 36 foot which by coincidence weighs in at 36grams and with a sinking polyleader it suits my needs perfect. which is fairly close range with copper tubes, hook and hold kind of stuff.:)

scott