Avon inspiration!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Last Sunday, standing on a footbridge on the middle Avon, spotted a chrome-bright springer, laying close to the bank in 3ft of water, after a few minutes it moved across the flow, did a slight roll, brilliant flash of silver and headed on upriver. Not huge, maybe 10/12lb, but heavily built, solid looking fish, season opens next week (1stfeb), looking promising, despite near drought conditions. Another fresh fish spotted later, lower downstream,15/18lb, plenty of kelts about, shame the pike weren,t playing ball!!!
peter

HantsAvon

Reaction score
I've managed to get Thursday off, so I'll be dipping my fly in the water....more in hope than expectation, but it'll be good to be on the banks of the Avon again in the hope of connecting with one of those special Spring fish for which the Avon is famous. Let's hope we get some more water this year and we have a good run of fish.
Tightlines to all...

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Yep, looking forward to the coming season, might try next thursday, but the following week might be a better bet, big tides and all, but sure won,t catch one at home!
peter

Dryfly

Reaction score
Where abouts are you guys fishing on the Avon? Somerly?
I fear general water levels will be as bad or worse than last year after the dry autum and winter. Nothing much in the aqufers I'm afraid. The winterbourns are bone dry and the pub named the inn with the well is changing its name to the inn with the hole :-(

severnfisher

Reaction score
Last Sunday, standing on a footbridge on the middle Avon, spotted a chrome-bright springer, laying close to the bank in 3ft of water, after a few minutes it moved across the flow, did a slight roll, brilliant flash of silver and headed on upriver. Not huge, maybe 10/12lb, but heavily built, solid looking fish, season opens next week (1stfeb), looking promising, despite near drought conditions. Another fresh fish spotted later, lower downstream,15/18lb, plenty of kelts about, shame the pike weren,t playing ball!!!
peter

This cheered me up, because if the first springers are in the Avon they'll be in the Severn.:D

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Where abouts are you guys fishing on the Avon? Somerly?
I fear general water levels will be as bad or worse than last year after the dry autum and winter. Nothing much in the aqufers I'm afraid. The winterbourns are bone dry and the pub named the inn with the well is changing its name to the inn with the hole :-(

Dryfly, from observations on the Test & Itchen last year, the low water seems to make the majority of fish slow to move upriver, loitering in the lower reaches, with that in mind, I really fancy Winkton, never fished it, but seems to tick all the right boxes, plenty of holding pools etc. Somerley produced 16 fish, Royalty, 80+, time will tell if my theory is correct????
peter