Avochie

midgydug

Reaction score
Hi, I have booked a week on this beat on the River Deveron in July and wondered if any forum members could advise me on pools, rods , flies etc.for this time of year .Is it any good for night time sea trout fishing ? I have never fished the Deveron before so any information would be very much appreciated

ravenscraig

Reaction score
Prey for a drop of water,you do get sea trout up here at this time of year but they are very scarce on Deveron this year so far.

Strathglass

Reaction score
Prey for a drop of water,you do get sea trout up here at this time of year but they are very scarce on Deveron this year so far.

Seen a lovely one on Deveron Facebook page from last night, hopefully a wee run building up towards the end of July... ;)

Benmerlot

Reaction score
Very pretty spot.the gillie catches loads of fish and knows every stone(that was a few years ago,his name is in the book and he may not be a formal gillie)
You may need water for salmon.
Good luck.

midgydug

Reaction score
avochie reply

Thanks for that guys. It will be all new to me so really looking forward to it whatever the weather. it will beat working !!

Riverman

Reaction score
Lovely place to be Midgydug

Hi, I have booked a week on this beat on the River Deveron in July and wondered if any forum members could advise me on pools, rods , flies etc.for this time of year .Is it any good for night time sea trout fishing ? I have never fished the Deveron before so any information would be very much appreciated

I've only fished ther once while at the Deveron Fishing festival, what a beautiful tranquil place it is to be.
It's not a big river up there, I fished it with my 14 footer which was fine, but a 12 or 13 footer would have been better for me even with higher water, even a switch rod if you like/have one. Don't forget the trout rod under any circumstances around a 9-10 ft 6-7 wt so that you have covered the higher water for salmon and lower water for sea trout/salmon there's some cracking brownies hiding away there too, hard to believe when you look at it but there are there!!
Sure you'll love it there, a fantastic place. As far as I know the main pools for lower water salmon during the day are the junction pool where the Isla joins and a pool around 400 yds downstream from the junction or 150 yds from the road bridge near the bottom of the bridge an obvious deep rock holding pool with a nice sea trouty looking tail. It has a little hut on the far bank, I and another guy both lost salmon in that pool in pretty much hopeless sunny low water conditions. In higher water there are many great looking lies created but croys and rock up from the junction pool. As for flies, I've no deveron expert but I would think the usual cascades, sliver stoats, kinnermony killer etc and some singles/wee doubles like teal blue and silver, alexandra etc for the sea trout should see you about right.
If the fishing conditions are not fantastic, the pub at the bridge at the bottom of the beat certainly is, the beer was too fantastic (and in reasonable quantity!), food good and locals/other fishers great crac.
sure you'll have a great time what ever the water/weather, tight lines

Last edited:

bracoden

Reaction score
If you get a rise in water it will be perfect the river is very low at the moment the best pool is the junction pool where the Isla joins the deveron always a chance of a fish there while the stop for s moment to decide where there going. The usuall flies will work cascade posh tosh stoats tail thf river up there isn't wide a 13ft rod Is ample most of your fishing will be from the bank, last year in July we had the next beat up snd had 30 fish for our week for the 3 of us in difficult conditions just hit it lucky river rose over the weekend and it was perfect svochie is one of the best beats on the river its quite a long beat but you've a chance of a fish in most pools I prefer up river from the junction pool. You can watch the water levels on the sepa site or you can watch the river on the webcam you'll get that on the site fishing the deveron have sent you a pm atb

Last edited: