Autumn prospects

Sawyer

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones opinions are regarding the above?
With most rivers having been at or well below Summer levels for what now seems the whole Season, how do you think this will affect the last month or two of the Season?
FWIW my home rive has been too low to fish now for all but 2 weeks since start of June, I have been out at night for Sea Trout 4 times, normally I would have fished at least 3/4 times a week.
An old bailiff I was once talking to reckoned that in drought years sometimes the fish just wouldn't run, deciding instead to stay at sea for another year, apparently there was some evidence in the form of average fish sizes in the years following.
Got a few days on an Upper Tweed beat booked with my 2 Sons & as its their first time on a "proper" rive I am looking for some encouragement for them!

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones opinions are regarding the above?
With most rivers having been at or well below Summer levels for what now seems the whole Season, how do you think this will affect the last month or two of the Season?
FWIW my home rive has been too low to fish now for all but 2 weeks since start of June, I have been out at night for Sea Trout 4 times, normally I would have fished at least 3/4 times a week.
An old bailiff I was once talking to reckoned that in drought years sometimes the fish just wouldn't run, deciding instead to stay at sea for another year, apparently there was some evidence in the form of average fish sizes in the years following.
Got a few days on an Upper Tweed beat booked with my 2 Sons & as its their first time on a "proper" rive I am looking for some encouragement for them!
I’m within an hours drive of about 6 great salmon rivers and haven’t been out properly for weeks because there’s no water in any of them.
Im getting worried they when we do get rain it will be biblical proportions. We still aren’t quite over the aftermath of storm Frank about 5 years ago.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
By October there should be plenty fish in the upper Tweed, there are even a few just now, however they are likely to all be coloured, unless there are a lot of fish waiting in the estuary for water. Not an issue, unless you are hoping for a clean fish for the table. You should at least be seeing plenty fish which should keep your sons interested.
There will be a big surge of fish running once we eventually get some decent rain but the fish do start pushing forward especially at night, even in low levels as they get closer to spawning.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I fished the Dee last week. We had most pools stuffed with fish. You would regularly see 30 or 40 fish showing as you fished a pool. We tried floating lines, sink tip and even full sinkers with big flies, little flies, basically we threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and ended up with 3 for four rods for the week. Until we get a rise in the water and some fresh fish to liven them up it is not going to improve apart from the odd cock fish taking up spawning territory and becoming more aggressive.

Stuart1108

Reaction score
My river has been on its bones all year when we eventually get a flood I think they will fire right up over the falls to the next club water where the spawning grounds are not stopping in the lower water glad I managed to get a permit for the Upper River this year might get a fish when they run

Henke

Reaction score
I see both Park and Lower Crathes have put a few open rods on Fishpal...If rain comes they should be picked up right away !! :-O

ibm59

Reaction score
Shouldn’t think I’ll bother again this year.
Looking at the long range forecast , there’s no substantial rain due for quite some time.
Nowt but kippers by then anyway.

Sawyer

Reaction score
Looking at the long range forecast , there’s no substantial rain due for quite some time.
Nowt but kippers by then anyway.
Must admit that is my concern now, there is nothing of any substance on the horizon.

S.preston

Reaction score
Waters low but plenty of fish about , covered a few today and although I did get a few turn I wasn't hopeful of a take so called it a day. A good fall of rain and I'll be out again

Henke

Reaction score
Waters low but plenty of fish about , covered a few today and although I did get a few turn I wasn't hopeful of a take so called it a day. A good fall of rain and I'll be out again
Be ready ! From what I can see - next week Tue-Wed some rain in the forecasts for Aboyne and Banchory - I personally think the end of week 37 or week 38 might be very good.

Rennie

Reaction score
This is a complicated issue!.We know the Autumn runs have been far smaller than they ever were, so historically I wouldn't be expecting much there. Now there's a series of clues to be followed, which appear to be absent, in that the traditional low water beats by this time of year in Sept. should be absolutely stuffed chock a block full of fish.The lower Tay and Tweed should be heaving to epic proportions and they aren't!.There's not been summer runs - which in past few years we've relied upon for sport-, but the thing is there's no signs of those fish any where waiting to run or even the odd one or so trying which would most certainly be the case come Sept. I'm sorry to say, there's no closely guarded secrets as far as Salmon are concerned any longer.
Personally?, I think 2 seasons of Covid affected sport and a disastrous low water season this year have hidden a lot of truths that non of us want to hear or acknowledge in that there's sod all fish to come.
I fear , if rain does fall in proportions enough to make a difference for many rivers and thats timing dependant too, it could see what fish that are to come will go right on through at a rate of knots at best, at worst we could have the water too late or as said in quantities that will effectively be too great for Angling and will finish the season for many.
What we need to think about is, it's just about every single river in the UK that is affected by a lack of fish, some 100's of miles and country's apart, all with differing ecological systems and all suffering differing human elements of impact, not all are impacted by Beavers, F.E.B.'s, Agricultural Run Off, High Seas Netting etc etc. to the same extent's, so surely some rivers would still have a few fish kicking about!.The decline has been steady and continuous for some time now.My point being that by and large it's a common problem affecting all rivers.
Me?, I'm expecting a complete disaster for this year, I think its too late to save many seasons on many rivers. I intend trying right up to the last day, but in the current low water and no fish see little point unless something changes.
To be honest whilst miracles do happen, I wouldn't expect one.It's a gamble now, pure n simple and I'll be keeping my powder dry for another year, certainly my brass is staying in the piggy bank for more favourable times.
Best of luck in trying, Pedro.

SOS

Reaction score
Every drought year in Aberdeen we hear rumors that helicopter pilots or riggers flying back to Aberdeen see masses of Salmon just offshore waiting for the rivers to rise, this year it is the pilot boats that have seen the fish just outside the harbour. I have no reason to doubt these rumors as I have seen for myself hundreds of Salmon in the bay at Stonehaven waiting to run the river cowie and also Salmon being harassed by dolphins at Nairn harbour waiting for a rise in water.
Usually, when there is low water there is a big build up of fish in the ADAA beats on the lower Dee, although I have not been down to have a look going by the catch reports there is either no one fishing or the fish just are not there, in the past anglers would have been shoulder to shoulder fishing and catching these fish and was the envy of beats upstream that were not getting any new fish.
With these dry hot periods becoming more common and Salmon becoming scarcer, not sure if it will be worth Salmon fishing in the near future.
Spain can keep their hot sunny weather, I just want our wet sometimes sh1t weather back.

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
Up here in W Ross the rivers are all pretty unfishable, sadly for a lot of return guests and tenants. However disappointing as it is for fishers I am becoming increasingly worried for our fish stocks which is stuck in the tidal areas and being devoured by the lovely doe eyed bloudy seals. I am hopeful that we will get water, probably in biblical proportions when it comes which will get the remaining fish up to the spawning areas.

M

Loxie

Reaction score
Autumn has been mainly kippering since 2013. Not my thing really. I'll fish the odd day up to the end of this month if it rains and I might have a go In Cornwall in November or December but no more serious fishing for me.

mows

Reaction score
Last year, the runs stopped at the loups 2nd week in August.
Looks similar this year, but also no water.
I did get a licer on the Southie 1st of Oct last year, but that was the exception.
The days when September was a prime month seem to have gone for the Northie and Southie.

kenb61

Reaction score
Every drought year in Aberdeen we hear rumors that helicopter pilots or riggers flying back to Aberdeen see masses of Salmon just offshore waiting for the rivers to rise, this year it is the pilot boats that have seen the fish just outside the harbour. I have no reason to doubt these rumors as I have seen for myself hundreds of Salmon in the bay at Stonehaven waiting to run the river cowie and also Salmon being harassed by dolphins at Nairn harbour waiting for a rise in water.
Usually, when there is low water there is a big build up of fish in the ADAA beats on the lower Dee, although I have not been down to have a look going by the catch reports there is either no one fishing or the fish just are not there, in the past anglers would have been shoulder to shoulder fishing and catching these fish and was the envy of beats upstream that were not getting any new fish.
With these dry hot periods becoming more common and Salmon becoming scarcer, not sure if it will be worth Salmon fishing in the near future.
Spain can keep their hot sunny weather, I just want our wet sometimes sh1t weather back.
I've also heard about the fish being seen from pilot boats and had a blether with the guy working on the pilot boats who has been attributed with the rumour and it sounds genuine.

In regards to the Dee, I'm not long back from Culter beat and seen a few fish showing at the top end of the beat, was also there last week, and the week before and a few fish showing in same spot. Tried my damnedest to get one but only a few parr last week and a finnock today. Got to say I'm surprised that at the last look there were no bookings (lack of water/hot weather???) on ADAA beats for the Dee apart from a couple on Saturday.

One young lad has had a couple at Cruives on the Don in the last week or so, but any time I've been out I've not seen anything moving.

Looks like we will get some rain in the next few days (seen your forecast posting above), my phone app is showing showers over the area Thursday through Saturday. Showers won't be enough but should hopefully help a little.

Last edited:

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
It's going to rain like BillyO in the north of Scotland over the next 3 weeks, and my week on the Thurso will see me banking multiple bars of silver every day.

Oscar (ever hopeful).
I hope your right Oscar fingers crossed I'm for the Alness again on 20th, although I did ok last year in low water.(y)(y)

Rrrr

Reaction score
In the northeast, if we get a couple of good spates in a row it may bring some sport. Not holding my breath though.
Also on the point of fish not bothering to run... ive heard of reports of huge numbers of sandeels off the northeast coast so that might tempt the seatrout to stay out.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
It's going to rain like BillyO in the north of Scotland over the next 3 weeks, and my week on the Thurso will see me banking multiple bars of silver every day.

Oscar (ever hopeful).
Well we’re forecast a thunderstorm today and more rain on Friday.
i just checked and there’s only a few hours of 30% -50% rain both days. Will not even touch the rivers the grounds that dry

Sawyer

Reaction score
In North Wales we had a couple of very heavy showers overnight that have put our river up a couple of inches. What we need is a good few days of heavy rain as the river bed is so full of sh8t, never seen it like this (in September) in 45 years, it needs a clear out so the fish can move.
Looks like next week is dry too.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I’m within an hours drive of about 6 great salmon rivers and haven’t been out properly for weeks because there’s no water in any of them.
Im getting worried they when we do get rain it will be biblical proportions. We still aren’t quite over the aftermath of storm Frank about 5 years ago.
Agreed it will all come at once

Meldon9

Reaction score
Not been out other than a couple of hours in March for trout.

Am pleased have not bothered to buy a rod licence this season and think most of my remaining salmon fly gear will be sold later in the year but will keep my spinning rods.