Attaching Loops to Shooting Heads

Springer

Reaction score
Really like the look of flyman's method - it looks almost factory finished! I've used the shrink tubing when making up pennel rigs and i heat it up with the steam from a boiling kettle. I was just wondering if that would be warm enough to also give the same finish without the risk of over heating the fly line?

No, steam will not melt the fly line, neither will boiling water, it needs to be hotter.

An Griannach

Reaction score
Just wondering lads,
I've got a Guideline PT- Float/clear tip.
This line has no braided core so I just added a Rio SH braided loop which I whipped to the line.
Does anyone have any ideas about the best way of making a connection loop for this line?

Last edited:

wind knot

Reaction score
my way

Bo Nielsen ( monkey fly) showed me how to do fly line loops like this years ago,

he worked at Korsholm's shop in Denmark at the time, he's done thousands of lines like this, never known one fail, if there is any intrest I will do a sbs of how its done.
len

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
Bo Nielsen ( monkey fly) showed me how to do fly line loops like this years ago,

he worked at Korsholm's shop in Denmark at the time, he's done thousands of lines like this, never known one fail, if there is any intrest I will do a sbs of how its done.
len
OK then lets see the SBS:)

wind knot

Reaction score
fly line loops

right folks

you need fly lines with a braided core

this is all you need as well as the fly line

I use dyneema instead of nylon coz it doesn't break as often, loop it around the fly line.

on hard lines just do a little at a time, this is a m evans sinker

done enough?

then insert the needle into the stripped core

this gives the hole to insert the bobbin threader into the core

thread it into the core for 1.5 to 2 cm then push it out and push line down to the handle

now fray the end of the core with the needle, for about 1cm, best to do this 2 or 3 mm at a time

then cut away 50% of the thickness not length, of what you have frayed, thread this into the thin end of the bobbin threader ready to pull it back through the core, the frayed part is now doubled over the wire and will go down the core centre, you may have to tease it down,

done

pull the central core tail out as far as you can, ready to glue, be carefull to leave a loop to pull back the core or its start again time

smear your glue on the core tail and pull it back in, to obtain the loop size of your choice, cut of surplus core tail, I like the loops small, I then coat the outside with a smear of glue and smooth it off with wetted fingers. out in the sun to cure

note- used to use Loop's knot glue but can't get it over here anymore, but this uv glue works fine as long as its sunny, it cures quicker to

len

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
Another good way of achieving a loop, thanks for sharing it with us Len :)

yellabelly

Reaction score
Excellent. I'm going to give it a go. I formed welded loops, as shown on forum, but have found the join is still a bit lumpy and sticks in the tip ring when playing a fish. I had to lower the rod to let the pressure off and so the line join was pulled straight into the ring. Not recommended with a fish on

wind knot

Reaction score
warning

do not use any form of supaglue as it sets stiff and will weaken with use over a short period time, it needs to be flexible when cured.

also use this method for the the backing, to make a large loop, gives a smooth no knots join.
len

madonfly

Reaction score
part 1 of 2

I came across your photos of attaching loops to shootings heads...looks excellent. Is it possible to get step by step instructions to accompany the photos. I would be very grateful as shooting heads is all new to me.

Greenalert

Reaction score
Hi Lads

Have decided to give these welded loops a go with the heat shrink

Old pair of hair straighteners at the ready:eek:

Absolutely hopeless with my hands so could become a disaster;)

However would this method work with all the lines below as I have read that it doesn't work with some

The method I intend to use is the simple one i.e double back the line into the heat shrink, heat & fuse, cut heat shrink, no stripping to core, too hard for me:eek:

The Lines I have as follows

Orvis Wonderline

Snowbee 1D, 2D & 3D

Snowbee Shooting Heads

Rio AFS Shooting Head (snapped the tip & lost a Montieth 10ft Slow Sink tip when got wrapped around something):eek:

Bill Dury Spey Impact

Bloke

Ian Gordon Spey

SA Multi Tip

Snowbee Running Line

Loop Running Line

All other Lines I have, have factory loop attached so no need to worry about them, for the moment at least;)

Thanks in advance

Jock

Reaction score
It is very much trial and error. Some lines just don't like being welded. Running lines are usually easily welded. I have an orange loop running line and it is so thin you can tie a perfection loop in it and then using the heat shrink and ghd fuse and roll it into a smooth joint. The airflo polyshoot running line is too thick to tie a perfection loop but it fuses into a welded loop with ease. With my IG lines I prefer braided loops.

para1

Reaction score

I used this method to join a new running line on to my mid spey.
All you need is shrink tube, candle, and nail varnish remover.
Bare ends to be joined with nail varnish remover and place about 4ins of shrink tube on the line, form a knotted loop on both ends, join loop to loop then pull shrink tube over to cover both.
Heat gently with candle, job done.
This is the easiest method I have found for idle barstewards like myself.
I got the nail varnish remover from ibm79.:)

easky

Reaction score
Hi Lads

Have decided to give these welded loops a go with the heat shrink

Old pair of hair straighteners at the ready:eek:

Absolutely hopeless with my hands so could become a disaster;)

However would this method work with all the lines below as I have read that it doesn't work with some

The method I intend to use is the simple one i.e double back the line into the heat shrink, heat & fuse, cut heat shrink, no stripping to core, too hard for me:eek:

The Lines I have as follows

Orvis Wonderline

Snowbee 1D, 2D & 3D

Snowbee Shooting Heads

Rio AFS Shooting Head (snapped the tip & lost a Montieth 10ft Slow Sink tip when got wrapped around something):eek:

Bill Dury Spey Impact

Bloke

Ian Gordon Spey

SA Multi Tip

Snowbee Running Line

Loop Running Line

I found the Wonderline doesn't work well, the coating didn't heat well. The Snowbee inty shooting head worked ok as did the Loop running line. Not sure about the other lines as haven't tried them ;)

para1

Reaction score
para1 is ibm79 the father of ibm 59

I hear he's trying to change it 69:D.

ibm59 is right, it was his mid spey that he donated to me.
It works a treat now i've renewed the running line with a very expesive mill end.:)

munro

Reaction score
Be better of with a 99, an a bottle ba bru,is he know of a funny age:)