Atlantic Salmon on a toothpick anyone?

goosander

Reaction score
Have landed many salmon on my trout rod with 8 lbs nylon no problem. That is my go to outfit for the low water and does not take much longer to land/beach them. The largest to date is 18 lbs which went to the smoker. The difference is in the conditions and time of year. The warmer water of summer makes the fish more keen to move and less oxygen in the water tires them quicker. Having said that there is no way light nylon will move a large cock fish in the backend that just wants to sit there. Ii is just simply a case of the right tackle for the right height of water and time of year.
Bob.

Rennie

Reaction score
My 1st ever fish came on a 10ft glass trout rod (Tony Fordnahm 10ft 7 weight) , Grimm Fly reel (pat, Tyke!) to 3lb cast and a size 16 Hardy's Gold Butcher, It took 40 mins to land with me running up n down after it, 18lb!. My second came from the mighty Tay on an 18ft rod (Bob Church Taysider) System 2 reel, 18lb Maxima , size 6 terrible, took 40 mins weighed 18lb and went like stink for the whole time!.
These days in the right conditions I happily use an 11ft 3 ins 6 weight switch rod.I've had a few fish in the high teens using it, slow steadier river right enough, but they've been on the bank in 15mins flat, usually on 13.6lb Seaguar!.Despite that rod being soft, it knocks the stuffing from fish!.
Mindst you I know far much more now! (most of it rubbish!) and had far more experience with Salmon and a wealth of other UK fish on varying types of tackle!.
I'd agree with a sensible approach, horses for courses!
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
My 1st ever fish came on a 10ft glass trout rod (Tony Fordnahm 10ft 7 weight) , Grimm Fly reel (pat, Tyke!) to 3lb cast and a size 16 Hardy's Gold Butcher, It took 40 mins to land with me running up n down after it, 18lb!. My second came from the mighty Tay on an 18ft rod (Bob Church Taysider) System 2 reel, 18lb Maxima , size 6 terrible, took 40 mins weighed 18lb and went like stink for the whole time!.
These days in the right conditions I happily use an 11ft 3 ins 6 weight switch rod.I've had a few fish in the high teens using it, slow steadier river right enough, but they've been on the bank in 15mins flat, usually on 13.6lb Seaguar!.Despite that rod being soft, it knocks the stuffing from fish!.
Mindst you I know far much more now! (most of it rubbish!) and had far more experience with Salmon and a wealth of other UK fish on varying types of tackle!.
I'd agree with a sensible approach, horses for courses!
Pedro.
I have no issues playing them on my little switch rod but they can be a nightmare to get in the net when they are digging deep and dont want to come to the top.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Elibank

Reaction score
During my 1st few years on the Upper Tweed, I was fishing the Traquair beat and staying at the Traquair Arms- when it was run by Hugh and Marion. In the bar on the Sunday night prior to kicking off our week, we got talking to an American at the bar over for his first ever trip after Scottish Atlantic Salmon.We got talking kit and flee's etc and he said he'd brought with him two 9 ft Saltwater rods of 10 ish weight and quite heavy salt water tapered floating lines.He was quite confident he could cover the river and would match us for fish!, so we were polite and happily got 1/2 cut with him and enjoyed a good blether.
Monday morning at the Bridge met up with Dereck Brown (the then Ghillie) and I got allocated beat 1 for the morning.Now back then most folk never went up there on their turn as it wasn't a favoured beat and not at all productive.However numb nuts here went up, I'd paid for it, I was going to fish it!.
Rigged up my 15ft 6 ins Hardy Sovereign and Marquis Disc reel to an Evans Wet 2 and a 1 1/2" Garry dog tube flee and took it for a walk through the water.Now as I pushed through the extensive rush's at the waters edge, our new American chum appeared on the far side to fish Glen Ormiston's bottom beat.Now the whole of that bottom beat is heavily rush lined (or it was then!)- folk from Glen Ormiston rarely fished there either!, and the rush's were higher and more overgrown than the Traquair side.I unclipped my flee from the keeper ring, stripped off the head of the line and rolled it to just past mid stream( or there abouts!), I could here our new chum go wow!.As it swung I started to strip line off a few yds at a time and slowly lengthened line untill I was covering bank to bank, and started to work down the pool, Spey casting away quite happily.He looked a little in awe!.I knew what would follow, he started to fish, and despite a pretty good steeple cast technique he couldn't get his flee in the water, and when when he did get a flee out there it wasn't very far at all.He was obsessed with trying to double haul and match me for distance and presentation.
That night back at the bar, the poor chap was absolutely foo-ked.He was so cream crackered he could barely walk n talk.
He'd had an horrendous day, lost a large proportion of his flee's and barely had a half doz. or so casts all day that hit the water and that were halfway fishable.Never have I seen such a turn round in a line of thought or belief. He'd been told what he needed, but was convinced he could show those who knew better (that wasn't us by the way but those who advised him on his trip in the 1st place) with his way and techniques.I know the next morning he sloped off to hire some kit for the rest of his week.Real nice chap too, good company, but sadly we never saw him again that week to find out how he went on.
Pedro.
Hugh and Marion Anderson at the Traquair Arms, now those were the days..

Isisalar

Reaction score
A friend was fishing Hanningfield res. some while ago and managed to get a large yellow Dog knobbler embedded in his nose septum. To cap it all his car wouldn't start and he had to make his way home on the train. The yellow marabou tail wafting in the breeze from his nose provided much amusement to some of his fellow passengers.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I know things like this are big in America, trying to see how low of a diameter they can use to play a big fish and claim a record of such thing. This is horrendous sport as you'll only end up just killing the fish after hours of playing the fish.

I've hooked a salmon over 10lb while nymphing for Grayling and I just fed it loads of slack line, absolutely pointless trying to land it on my #3. I could do it, but fighting it for an hour or so is just moronic.
I done it of a bridge Chris...same bs 9ft 4#.....20 minutes and it was back in its lye.
But I'm no gonna tell that story again ?

C

cgaines10

I done it of a bridge Chris...same bs 9ft 4#.....20 minutes and it was back in its lye.
But I'm no gonna tell that story again

Hahah fair play mate! Think I seen the video too? Lol I’d cry throwing my rod down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk