Argyll and Bute - Fly fishing from shore

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm up in Argyll and Bute - close to Loch Fyne.

Does anyone know some rocks or shoreline where it's relatively quiet and I could have a cast for something into a sea loch or the sea- eg Mackerel etc.?

Assume you don't need a license??

Cheers,

Patrick

wormo

Reaction score
no permit required for sea fishing , Argyll is a big place, where are you near?

ibm59

Reaction score
Cairndow to the mouth of the Fyne was once one of the most heavily balliffed stretches of salt water beach in the land.
Doubt it’s the same nowadays ☹️ , but perhaps it’s not worth taking the risk ??

The old stone jetty opposite Crarae quarry was once a good deep water mark for pollack and mackerel
Not sure what access is like these days.

The quarry itself is worth a look.
Bitty history.

https://quarriesandbeyond.org/artic..._scotland_scientific_american_nov_27_1886.pdf

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
Cairndow to the mouth of the Fyne was once one of the most heavily balliffed stretches of salt water beach in the land.
Doubt it’s the same nowadays ☹️ , but perhaps it’s not worth taking the risk ??

The old stone jetty opposite Crarae quarry was once a good deep water mark for pollack and mackerel
Not sure what access is like these days.

The quarry itself is worth a look.
Bitty history.

https://quarriesandbeyond.org/artic..._scotland_scientific_american_nov_27_1886.pdf

from cairndow down is ok , and if not intentionally targeting sea trout you would get no bother, crarae jetty is fine but limited parking and best avoided at weekends , throws up codling and Pollack too
Frank's garden centre worth a visit for lunch , not fancy but good

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cheers guys, it would just be for ‘fun’ not terribly bothered what I catch - any sea trout would go back but fresh mackerel would be nice.