Are we really that gullible? 😲

Woodsy

Reaction score
I know fisherman can be known as "tackle tarts" but fly tying is definitely going the same way

I just visited a well known fly tying site, and for the first time, I was able to view it in sterling.

£20 for a dubbing need (£2 at ebay does the exact same job)
£22.50 for a cone organiser(£1 at a poundshop - pill or craft box)
£31.25 for a dubbing brush (£1 bit of Velcro on the back of an old toothbrush you use for brushing hackles)
£60 for tube cutters (£4 at ebay - small plastic pipe cutter and rive sure you have a ruler somewhere in the house?)

This is not disrespecting the company of tyer at all, and that is why I haven't comments on the scissors, hackle pliers etc...... But the rest is quite universal.

Who really pays for this?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im the same with moat tackle. If i can find something that does the same job on ebay ill give it a try. Theres so much re branded stuff about at hiked up prices at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Exactly the same can be set for a lot of luggage. There are many items that can be bought from places like Mountain warehouse for a fraction of the price of the branded fishing items.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Exactly the same can be set for a lot of luggage. There are many items that can be bought from places like Mountain warehouse for a fraction of the price of the branded fishing items.
Absolutely! Even the same luggage marketed for course fishing is a hell of a lot cheaper. Put Salmon® in front of it and the price triples.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I know fisherman can be known as "tackle tarts" but fly tying is definitely going the same way

I just visited a well known fly tying site, and for the first time, I was able to view it in sterling.

£31.25 for a dubbing brush (£1 bit of Velcro on the back of an old toothbrush you use for brushing hackles)
£60 for tube cutters (£4 at ebay - small plastic pipe cutter and rive sure you have a ruler somewhere in the house?)

This is not disrespecting the company of tyer at all, and that is why I haven't comments on the scissors, hackle pliers etc...... But the rest is quite universal.

The well-heeled.

Why worry, let the mugs buy it. Creates jobs.

When I was young they used to say if we can’t make it in Govan’s shipyard we don’t want it. E.G. Making Shrimp mounts from paper clips in 2 mins, AG

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score

Its been getting even worse for the last 5 years or so with all the "influencers" who post on forums and social media extolling the wonder new material, tool etc from XXX company or other. They don't mention that they get the stuff for cheap/free.
I could kit somebody out with a set of fly tying tools which would perform as well as any of this stuff for under £100 and it would do as good, if not better, a job.
It probably would all come out of the same factories but as it would not have the same brand names and people pushing it surely it can't be as good.
Or can it :p :p

And yes a lot of folks are that gullible.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Its been getting even worse for the last 5 years or so with all the "influencers" who post on forums and social media extolling the wonder new material, tool etc from XXX company or other. They don't mention that they get the stuff for cheap/free.
I could kit somebody out with a set of fly tying tools which would perform as well as any of this stuff for under £100 and it would do as good, if not better, a job.
It probably would all come out of the same factories but as it would not have the same brand names and people pushing it surely it can't be as good.
Or can it :p :p

And yes a lot of folks are that gullible.
It's absolutely wild, I still get the dental scissors you recommend a year ago for 4 quid 🤣

marty31

Reaction score

The mugs that do! They are the original "tackle tarts"

Greegs

Reaction score

Happens in every walk of life.

What kind of car do you drive??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
It’s the same now at auctions when bidding on fly tying lots. Just gone through the roof.

bassfly

Reaction score
A plastic box with bead holders in and a selection of beads £70/75 from fly tying outlet. Bought from an online haberdashery shop with over 500 assorted beads for £14.75 including p&p.
500 x 2.5mm metal black beads for £2.50 in the clearance department.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I was waiting on you saying a top spec Range Rover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if I had, with the extra money comes extra comfort, extra space, extra power and even extra safety at times.

A dubbing needle is still a dubbing needle, whatever the cost :ROFLMAO:

Scierra

Reaction score
£2 + ? for a small bottle of varnish ?
Some years ago once seen a tackle shop owner filling small bottles up with clear varnish from a 1 litre tin .:sneaky:

I get all my varnish from local stores/chemists @ £1 a bottle or less ? litre tins are to big

All you fly tyers using crystal flash etc (not me) @ £4/£5 a hank costs pennies to produce

But I do use Holographic tinsel ,another rip off £2 a spool , again produced for pennies ,costs more to make the bobbin they come on

Most of all Fly rods , costs no more to make a Shakey than Sage ,Mackenzie ,Hardy etc, all made in East Asia at £20/30 each.

Up to £100 and more for a fly line? again cost a couple of pounds to produce, only a bit of cord with a plastic coating , now you need 2 lines ,running and shooting head .

Reels ? not sure how much it costs to produce ?you need some "reely" deep pockets to purchase some makes .

Breathable Waders, that don't breath once they are wet , £200 / £1000 a pair, and most pairs leak , and most /stocking foot, you need a pair of boots at up to £250 + a pair to squelch about in mud and water that the stitching rots and the boots fall to pieces ? I ask you would you pay £100/£250 + for a pair of trainers, dress shoes, or walking boots ? I may spend anywhere from £25 to £70 at max !

Are we really that gullible, ? Yup !​