Arctic runner

burnzy

Reaction score
I'm searching the Internet for arctic runner to tie a calvin shrimp,no luck at all .

Is it just me or is it like rocking horse poo?

Would there be an alternative thats readily available out there ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

salmonaddict

Reaction score
I stopped using arctic runner a while ago and now use arctic fox body for Parky's and the like. I find a much nicer fur in term of quality and movement and you'll get far more for your dough. There's 1 or 2 selling it on ebay. Be sure to let them know exactly what you want in terms of colour/shade as I've bought some patches and had to dye them again myself as the colour wasn't what I wanted 👍

20210217_172109.jpg
20210217_172125.jpg

20200724_133323.jpg
20210204_164808.jpg

burnzy

Reaction score
I stopped using arctic runner a while ago and now use arctic fox body for Parky's and the like. I find a much nicer fur in term of quality and movement and you'll get far more for your dough. There's 1 or 2 selling it on ebay. Be sure to let them know exactly what you want in terms of colour/shade as I've bought some patches and had to dye them again myself as the colour wasn't what I wanted

View attachment 57247View attachment 57248
View attachment 57249View attachment 57250
Thanks for your advice much appreciated. And also lovely flys

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
I stopped using arctic runner a while ago and now use arctic fox body for Parky's and the like. I find a much nicer fur in term of quality and movement and you'll get far more for your dough. There's 1 or 2 selling it on ebay. Be sure to let them know exactly what you want in terms of colour/shade as I've bought some patches and had to dye them again myself as the colour wasn't what I wanted 👍

View attachment 57247View attachment 57248
View attachment 57249View attachment 57250
very nice flies, have you tried foxy tails products shadow fox marble fox?

rotenone

Reaction score
I'm searching the Internet for arctic runner to tie a calvin shrimp,no luck at all .

Thanks

Contact username Kris

Sawyer

Reaction score
Got some really good Arctic from Lesonen, very reasonable for the quality & came within a week. I mailed him & explained exactly what I wanted & he was very quick to reply & can’t fault his quality. The only reason I used him (but certainly have/will again) was everyone else was out of stock post Xmas.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Got some really good Arctic from Lesonen, very reasonable for the quality & came within a week. I mailed him & explained exactly what I wanted & he was very quick to reply & can’t fault his quality. The only reason I used him (but certainly have/will again) was everyone else was out of stock post Xmas.

I just received runner from them and it's s**t, very spiky and poor quality

Last edited:

Sawyer

Reaction score

I must have been lucky all the patches I got had a good consistent length of hair & not a lot of “fluff/down” at the base. I would get in touch, I was worried as I had never ordered from him before so I asked for a tracking number & on the day of delivery he mailed me to check I had received everything & that I was happy. If I get a sec I will take a pic of the patches I got, was going to stock up but after your experience I will wait to see.

rotenone

Reaction score
Hi Lamson, are you sure it was Arctic runner you bought of him, I don't see Arctic runner on his page only mountain runner which is a type of short goat I believe live, which has semi stiff hair very different structure to Arctic runner?

wormo

Reaction score
I just received runner from them and it's s**t, very spiky and poor
I thought the patches were pretty small,
but didn't recall seeing them with runner ?
might be the short goat , I hot that and it wasn't great

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Hi Lamson, are you sure it was Arctic runner you bought of him, I don't see Arctic runner on his page only mountain runner which is a type of short goat I believe live, which has semi stiff hair very different structure to Arctic runner?

I never mentioned it being arctic 👍 it's mountain runner 👍 still very poor quality patches and dying

It's definitely not hot orange or anywhere near the stated 5-7 cm long ( looks bigger in the photo)

The fox that I bought is OK quality wise but the patches are very small less than 10mm

The soft hen hackles are pretty poor also

Would I order from them again 🙄 nope

_20210218_163523.JPG

rotenone

Reaction score
I never mentioned it being arctic 👍 it's mountain runner 👍 still very poor quality patches and dying

It's definitely not hot orange or anywhere near the stated 5-7 cm long ( looks bigger in the photo)

The fox that I bought is OK quality wise but the patches are very small less than 10mm

The soft hen hackles are pretty poor also

Would I order from them again 🙄 nope

View attachment 57310
Sorry my mistake just the rest of the thread was on Arctic runner I thought he must of started selling it

rotenone

Reaction score
Seems like the quality is not what it was a while back, its hard to get consistently good materials that's reason why I always do my own dyeing.
I've bought from a few shops in Sweden and the pieces they send are much smaller then what we usually expect for some reason

AlanT

Reaction score
AM fly tying are a good source
They do a fantastic bag of off cuts, a very large bag at that, for about £25.
I separated it all out into colours, there was a big range of colours, 29 pieces in total and only 4 were substandard that I threw out.
The rest was very high quality, outstanding for the money, I will never be able to use it all, can't recommend it enough

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score

Thanks

teviotflies has some FnS try them

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I have been buying from ice flies on eBay...great quality and price.

It use to be free postage but now it's a tenner to deliver thanks to brexit...
Used here last time I ordered. Mix bag but generally ok.

Last decent stuff I bought was venairds.

It's not a material I'm 100% confident on buying mail order quality is always variable no matter the source