Arctic Char.

Birkin

Reaction score
Has anybody fished for Arctic Char and could suggest a few successful fly patterns that I could tie.

Pompero

Reaction score
Yes, have loads of them in arctic Norway. All kinds of nymphs works great, especially hares ear. For streamers I go with medium sized (#4-6) bright ones with some matte pink. A great small single hook wet fly is the parmachene belle - a classic pattern. For dries, basically match the hatch or go with an Adams irresistible as an attractor.

Last edited:

Pompero

Reaction score
95943CA6-AAA7-4169-8555-0B5F39A234F1.jpeg

Attachments

• E8B85B8D-BA2E-461F-B7F4-768FB67226B6.jpeg
    E8B85B8D-BA2E-461F-B7F4-768FB67226B6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66

Pompero

Reaction score
Haven't fished them in Greenland, but they use somewhat different flies there - like big, purple streamers with rubber legs and foam flies

Icelander05

Reaction score
I have made up three boxes, nymphs, streamers and intruders. Most in pink and chartreuse. So far they have not seen water as my trip to Greenland has been rolled over two times and hopefully will happen in 2022. I can post a photo if you like.
Icelander05

Andrew B

Reaction score
Has anybody fished for Arctic Char and could suggest a few successful fly patterns that I could tie.
All great replies by folk who’ve actually caught Char on the fly.
As someone who’s never caught Char at all, could you elaborate on where you intend to fish for Arctic Char? Reason being in the U.K. we have landlocked Arctic Char deposited from the ice age, pretty much all of these deep glacial lakes rule out the fly. I do believe there are one or two in Scotland where it’s possible to angle for Char on the fly and that one even has a river attached where Char are known to dwell?

Birkin

Reaction score
All great replies by folk who’ve actually caught Char on the fly.
As someone who’s never caught Char at all, could you elaborate on where you intend to fish for Arctic Char? Reason being in the U.K. we have landlocked Arctic Char deposited from the ice age, pretty much all of these deep glacial lakes rule out the fly. I do believe there are one or two in Scotland where it’s possible to angle for Char on the fly and that one even has a river attached where Char are known to dwell?
I have a trip booked to Greenland next July and will fish near Nuuk on the West coast.

Birkin

Reaction score
I have made up three boxes, nymphs, streamers and intruders. Most in pink and chartreuse. So far they have not seen water as my trip to Greenland has been rolled over two times and hopefully will happen in 2022. I can post a photo if you like.
Icelander05
A photo would be very helpful.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I have a trip booked to Greenland next July and will fish near Nuuk on the West coast.
Oh well that’s something to get excited about. Just the fact that sea run Arctic Char can reach some big sizes.
Good idea to ask and check out the flies needed as I got speaking to a fisherman in the Navy who whilst in Iceland bought some flies locally to fish for the large sea trout and char he could see in the seas. Turned out each fly cost about fifty bats lol.

steven reid

Reaction score
Fished at Erfalik lodge, Greenland in July, fresh char running the river from each tide. I spent the week fishing the foam fly as that is why i really went there, what an incredible experience, my top colour foam fly was orange. The other guys in the lodge fished nymphs and streamers, top nymph colour was again orange or coral, top streamer colour was pink but on some days the guys told me they were locked on to black or purple. The guys fishing streamers and nymphs out fished me but as i said i was there for the visual experience which was really exciting, to see the dark shape below the fly follow right across the river then roll over in water a few inches deep was the making of my trip, one guy sat and watched me from a high banking one morning and reckoned it was just as exciting a spectator sport. Hope this helps.

Birkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and details of patterns to use I will now get busy tying up a good selection of flies. The guide at the camp I am fishing mentioned the Foam Fly and not to come without a selection of them in the colours you have suggested. This is my first trip to Greenland and the first time fishing for sea run Arctic Char so all information is of great value and will give me a bit of an edge instead of starting from scratch.

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Would appreciate it if someone could post a pic of the Foam fly and a description of fishing technique.
Good luck on your trip!
Serge

Thanks for the reply and details of patterns to use I will now get busy tying up a good selection of flies. The guide at the camp I am fishing mentioned the Foam Fly and not to come without a selection of them in the colours you have suggested. This is my first trip to Greenland and the first time fishing for sea run Arctic Char so all information is of great value andwill give me a bit of an edge instead of starting from scratch.

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for that…looks like the wake is key.

Im guessing a Sunray hitch tube could also work. Let us know what you find!

Sash

Reaction score
Just found this.
A Gartside Gurgler!
Only difference it that the Gurgler ties the foam in backwards at the tail, and folds it forwards, before tieing the "lip"
But all other details identical: there is not much new under the sun!