April fly swap 2018

Piker20

Reaction score
11 names wanted for this month's swap. Flies will be due at my letter box on 24th April.

This month theme is inspired by a recent thread on the forum. Tie an original pattern salmon fly, so something along the lines of the following list.
Sunray shadow
Collie dog
Ally shrimp
Irish shrimp
Blue charm
Hairy Mary
Stoat tail
Snaelda
Frances
Pot bellied pig

The idea is to stick as close to the original pattern as possible give or take the odd substitutes.

Not really wanting to make people name their patterns as there are plenty of shrimp varieties for example but at the same time we don't want 11 blue charms doing the rounds.

1) Piker20
2) GaryD
3) hydrofoam
4). Nobby
5) slaneybs

Last edited:

Hydroform

Reaction score
I'm happy to join.

Was gonna do an Irish shrimp but just remembered that I've chucked the badger cape!

Count me in anyway.

Gary.

Last edited:

GaryD

Reaction score
I’ll do some Black Marias for this one. Pre-1945 pattern that reportedly took 500+ fish on one beat of the Spey in a season. Must have been great fishing back then compared to nowadays?.

This is my first attempt and head needs another coat and there’s a couple of minor changes that I can see now, the ones that go in the swap will be tidier ?. Stuck to original pattern as much as poss, but did take rib up over yellow floss for strength and put some sparkle in wing, can always take it out.

Attachments

• 53A1D167-29AC-42EB-8E61-7654C737F229.jpeg
    53A1D167-29AC-42EB-8E61-7654C737F229.jpeg
    603.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Hi Piker
Now that we are past the pink phase please count me in if there is still space. I thought a thunder and lightning on a single hook might do the trick.
Brian

Slaneybs

Reaction score
T&L Start

I have made a start on the first 3 T&Ls for the swap (with a couple of discards on the way). They are on size 6. I am planning to do the rest (only 2 or 3 at the minute based on the numbers signed up) in the same size unless someone would like them on a size 8.
Any more takers for the swap? It is a great way to try and get a bit of consistency into your tying and a range of patterns you would never have thought of tying or buying into your fly box. There are a few from the previous goes that I am really looking forward to trying out.
We need another few participants please support Piker's hard work!

Attachments

• T&L 2.jpg
    T&L 2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 364

Piker20

Reaction score
Come on then folks. If we struggle for numbers I might give this one until May to attract a few more.

This swap just needs you to pick a fly that's recognised as the original of its style/type. Tons out there to have a shot at.

Piker20

Reaction score
When are the April flies due for Piker?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Originally the 24th April but by month end will be fine. Think that May might be given a miss and look to do next one in summer. See what interest is.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Posting this afternoon.
My excuse for tying a T&L is that I reckon it is the original (or one of them) of a range of orange, black and gold flies such as Dunkeld and Munro. What do you think?
tl3.jpg

Piker20

Reaction score
SlaneyBs flies arrived a couple of days ago. Great set of traditional flies. Any more on their way in?

Piker20

Reaction score
A set of allys arrived from nobby today.

How's the last couple getting along?

Hydroform

Reaction score
Only have the first few done. Posted on Tuesday. Sorry for the late submission guys, been very busy.

Gary.