Anyone still fish salmon single flys

Stuart1108

Reaction score
I have salmon singles for years in my bag only ever fish doubbles or tubes going to try the singles this year see how I do

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1616425604392.jpg
    FB_IMG_1616425604392.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 85

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've used a lot of singles in the past 10 years or so. Most of my smaller flies are tied on trout singles.

You'll lose fish but not any more than with any other hook type.

Handel

Reaction score
Certainly. I was doing a lot of seatrout fishing with singles and concluded that if they would hang on to a seatrout they would hang on to a salmon. And in a back end leaf soup (remember those?) I always used singles. Singles are required for steelhead in BC.

westie4566

Reaction score
Yes.

Like others have said. handy when the water is full of leaves.

They also seem to cut through the water a wee bit better than doubles too.....or that could just be me, lol.

Zamora

Reaction score
Every year. There is always conditions for classics. Last summer I got my only salmon size fish at #2/0 Lady Caroline.

(in Finland we don’t count them as salmons if they weight less than 7kg ;) )

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many fish caught on my old standard single hook traditional flies, many of them and then I came onto this forum and saw Northern European Style Flies most of which are tied on tubes. That was the end of a love affair I'd had with standard salmon flies since the 1980's, I have a bunch that are aging in clip boxes at this time.

I often consider tying one on but then I think, If it isn't broke don't fix it, and I tie on a tube.

Gosling

Reaction score
On some of our local rivers it is C&r so it’s singles only. You do loose fish but it could be to do with fresh soft mouthed fish. Last year I lost the same amount on doubles and trebles as I did singles. There are plenty of very good hooks to choose from, which are not specifically for flytying

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you rekon in terms of fish lost compared to doubles, trebles etc ?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Until last season I never used a double and can tell you I've not lost enough salmon to even provide an estimate of number, not many. I used #10 Patriot doubles last year because I had them for that trip to Scotland that never happened........... All fish that hit the double were caught.

carbisdale caster

Reaction score

Not one lost on singles, I stopped using doubles as I noticed quite often the fish would swallow the hook and it'd get caught about the gills* whereas with singles they're mostly either lip hooked or in the scissors and so far at least don't come off. No trebles allowed where I fish but when I used to live in Aviemore and spin the town stretch of water quite often brownies and smolt/parr would get the hook lodged both in the roof of the mouth and the lower jaw, I prefer a more sporting approach :)

*I expect there may be some who disagree with this but these are my experiences of using doubles

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
My worst run of losing fish was 12 in a week using trebles. I lost 6 in a single morning on doubles. I've lost fish on singles but no real losing streaks like those above.

Losing fish is part of fishing. Its probably the part that keeps me going back. 😉

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score

The Lower Oykel is singles only until 15 June. So having previously used doubles on the likes of the Dee I had to use singles (Partridge Salars for dressed and Owners for tubes). The only issue I've had is with small narrow gape partridge irons on size tens when I had a run of losing 3 good MSW fish on those. So the answer to that is to use carp hooks (I use Korda Wide Gape X) if you want a small fly as they have a short shank and wide gape and once hooked on those they rarely fall off.

Personally, I've found absolutely no difference in the ratio of fish lossed whether it is on trebbles, doubles or singles in spring or autumn fishing. I do have some very small icelandic flies tied on size 16 silver trebbles. Not sure I'd be entirely confident if they were dressed on a size 16 singles and Carp hooks don't go that small (not surprisingly).

Regards

NHP

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I use singles and touchwood a high % stick, going on to circles, either full or semi circles for all my fly fishing, they just work, and very well at that, an interesting experiment, but others trying the same have a 100% success rate, OK only 2 fish, but a brace of Avon 20lbers is good enough for me!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Personally, I've found absolutely no difference in the ratio of fish lossed whether it is on trebbles, doubles or singles in spring or autumn fishing. I do have some very small icelandic flies tied on size 16 silver trebbles. Not sure I'd be entirely confident if they were dressed on a size 16 singles and Carp hooks don't go that small (not surprisingly).
Nigel, the smallest, quality, reliable carp hook going is a Korda Mixa in a size 12, short shanked, so maybe not the best for tying on, but not impossible, great for small tubes though.

westie4566

Reaction score
The Lower Oykel is singles only until 15 June. So having previously used doubles on the likes of the Dee I had to use singles (Partridge Salars for dressed and Owners for tubes). The only issue I've had is with small narrow gape partridge irons on size tens when I had a run of losing 3 good MSW fish on those. So the answer to that is to use carp hooks (I use Korda Wide Gape X) if you want a small fly as they have a short shank and wide gape and once hooked on those they rarely fall off.

Regards

NHP
I've become a fan of the Korda single hooks for my spring tubes too!

Bloody good, strong hooks and cheap as chips compared with any hook that has 'salmon' in the title.

Only gripe is that they do blunt easily on rocks when fishing deep and I've not managed to successfully resharpen one yet.

But they're cheap so chuck it in the bin and tie on another.

Birkin

Reaction score
Started using singles in Canada as per their regs and found Owner hooks to be very popular. Over the last 10 years I have been using Owner SSW circle hooks (5178) as Stingers and on Waddington shanks and Owner SSW Cutting Point Straight Eyed Hooks (5180) for tubes and tying flies. Always debarb them now and have very few loses and non on the circle hooks

Gustav

Reaction score
I find singles hook grilse much better.
I think it leads to less mouthfeel rejection but there may be other factors.

I only use singles when fishing for trout and have no hooking or holding issues.

I also usually fish with a single hooked dropper even if I have a double or treble on point.

I still have some of my dad's old fly boxes with a range of singles on old style patterns like your picture but don't know if they work any more having only ever tried them when there are no fish about so I don't know if they would work.
It is a dressing issue and an angler confidence issue though not a hook issue.

I have total confidence in collie dogs, cascades, silver stoats and willie guns on singles.

Handel

Reaction score
I use singles and touchwood a high % stick, going on to circles, either full or semi circles for all my fly fishing, they just work, and very well at that, an interesting experiment, but others trying the same have a 100% success rate, OK only 2 fish, but a brace of Avon 20lbers is good enough for me!
I see circles are flavour of the month at Somerley. Any idea why?

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
I've become a fan of the Korda single hooks for my spring tubes too!

Bloody good, strong hooks and cheap as chips compared with any hook that has 'salmon' in the title.

Only gripe is that they do blunt easily on rocks when fishing deep and I've not managed to successfully resharpen one yet.

But they're cheap so chuck it in the bin and tie on another.
Apologies for the quality of the photo, but I thought it would be easaier to show, and I'm sure you get the gist. The two flies on the top are tied on Korda Wide Gape X 10s and the flies on the botton standard Partridge 10s. So the length is the same but the gape is almost half as big again on the Korda. I have to admit I reserve my circle hook flies for Blood worms, Shrimps and Buzzers. I much prefer the straighter shank but that is based purely on aesthetics and no science whatsoever!

I've had fish to 14lbs on the Kordas and never landed anything bigger than 5lbs on the Partridge.

Regards

NHP

Korda v Partridge.jpg

Roag Fisher

Reaction score

Regards

NHP
What is the thinking behind the singles only rule on the Oykel?