Anyone seen comet neowise?

Speytime

Reaction score
I was out for sea trout last night, around 1.30am the sky lit up with what I thought was a shooting star, apparently its a comet?
What I seen was brilliant white bright and relative to a star it was tennis ball sized, it appeared around 45 degrees and continued burning brilliant white right down to the horizon.

I'm reading about neowise and it says it's visible with the unaided eye??? this was more along the lines of you couldn't miss it, the initial lighting was like a welding arc.

Did anyone see anything in the uk through the night, last night? (July 21st)

Al

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Meant to look as I've been seeing it in articles but forgot... i downloaded the skyview app a while back.
. Great way to pass a few minutes on a clear night... it does get you thinking ????

Walleye

Reaction score
I was out for sea trout last night, around 1.30am the sky lit up with what I thought was a shooting star, apparently its a comet?
What I seen was brilliant white bright and relative to a star it was tennis ball sized, it appeared around 45 degrees and continued burning brilliant white right down to the horizon.

I'm reading about neowise and it says it's visible with the unaided eye??? this was more along the lines of you couldn't miss it, the initial lighting was like a welding arc.

Al
I think what you described is a small meteorite. Did it come and go in a few seconds? Comets are pretty much stationary in the night sky (they move faster than the stars but slower than the moon as a rule of thumb). if you were lucky enough to see one, and not so bright. In good conditions you should have been able to see the comet for quite some time.

I've seen small meteorites like this at night - so bright they light up the whole countryside, not quite like daylight but very much brighter than the moon. I was lucky enough to see one where the view was across the moors in upper Weardale and it was spectacular how it lot everything up, but only lasted a couple of seconds.

Heero

Reaction score
What nerd came up with this name? Neowise. I am picturing him now - nasally voice, taped glasses, inability to pick up on social queues.

Im not gunna listen to that poindexter. The comet is now known as Hank. So it is written.

Speytime

Reaction score
I think what you described is a small meteorite. Did it come and go in a few seconds? Comets are pretty much stationary in the night sky (they move faster than the stars but slower than the moon as a rule of thumb). if you were lucky enough to see one, and not so bright. In good conditions you should have been able to see the comet for quite some time.

I've seen small meteorites like this at night - so bright they light up the whole countryside, not quite like daylight but very much brighter than the moon. I was lucky enough to see one where the view was across the moors in upper Weardale and it was spectacular how it lot everything up, but only lasted a couple of seconds.

You've confirmed my suspicions, it lasted around 4 maybe 5 seconds and it was hurtling along, i was actually going to say I'm sure it light the place up but thought nah it couldn't, so yes it did light up the countryside.
I've seen shooting stars in the past but they've only been fleeting and relatively small, this was like tennis ball sized in comparison to the stars and stayed light up from aprox 45 degrees to over the horizon, it's thee most spectacular sight I've ever seen in the night sky by a considerable margin.
For a bit after it I was speechless, amazed, awe struck all in one, what a sight.

I said to my buddy wow! what about that then... "What" was the reply ?
He'd been looking at his phone and missed it ?

Cheers Al

AlanT

Reaction score
There was a fast moving object very high in the night sky last night visible from the Lothians, I saw it just after 11. I believe it was the ISS.

AlanT

Reaction score
Yes, and the third brightest object in our sky so easy to spot.
Too far south tonight unfortunately

KILDONAN

Reaction score

Al
Speytime
I was out too last and saw something bright, it was out of the corner of my eye.
I was fishing a pool facing west and it seemed to be on my far right. Just going to the horizon at the time you said. I know because I had a sea trout at the same time! Would that have been it?

Speytime

Reaction score
Speytime
I was out too last and saw something bright, it was out of the corner of my eye.
I was fishing a pool facing west and it seemed to be on my far right. Just going to the horizon at the time you said. I know because I had a sea trout at the same time! Would that have been it?
It was around 1.30am I think I was facing south easterly though I can't be absolutely certain that part of the river could easily face south or west.
I've got a map of the beat I'll have a look at it ASAP.

Cheers Al

KILDONAN

Reaction score
It was around 1.30am I think I was facing south easterly though I can't be absolutely certain that part of the river could easily face south or west.
I've got a map of the beat I'll have a look at it ASAP.

Cheers Al
Thanks Al after reading your post I looked it up but strangely it talks about seeing it just before dawn around 3:30am?
I do recall the Plough was to my right, and it’s supposed to appear just below it, so I think what I glimst was it . Apparently tomorrow is the closest it gets to Earth.

Speytime

Reaction score
Thanks Al after reading your post I looked it up but strangely it talks about seeing it just before dawn around 3:30am?
I do recall the Plough was to my right, and it’s supposed to appear just below it, so I think what I glimst was it . Apparently tomorrow is the closest it gets to Earth.
Ah! The plough was right in front of me around the time and it was only slightly slightly to the right of it.

Al

Walleye

Reaction score
You've confirmed my suspicions, it lasted around 4 maybe 5 seconds and it was hurtling along, i was actually going to say I'm sure it light the place up but thought nah it couldn't, so yes it did light up the countryside.
I've seen shooting stars in the past but they've only been fleeting and relatively small, this was like tennis ball sized in comparison to the stars and stayed light up from aprox 45 degrees to over the horizon, it's thee most spectacular sight I've ever seen in the night sky by a considerable margin.
For a bit after it I was speechless, amazed, awe struck all in one, what a sight.

I said to my buddy wow! what about that then... "What" was the reply ?
He'd been looking at his phone and missed it ?

Cheers Al
That'll be a meteor or meteorite then. It is truly spectacular. The one I saw broke up into several pieces so it was only a small one but it started as a single ball of light that then split into 2 or 3 pieces fizzling out to nothing. I don't think it made it our over the horizon.
Shooting stars are really common. They are the very small pieces which burn up shortly after touching the highest levels of the atmosphere.

Greegs

Reaction score
Saw Neowise a week past Friday coming home from sea trout fishing on the Nith.
Northern lights also out.
It was stunning.

Not my photo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walleye

Reaction score
Is the plough the one where the last two stars point towards Polaris, the north star? I'm useless with constellation names - the only one I know is Orion.

Speytime

Reaction score
The plough is the only constellation I can recognise, the other night the plough was in front of me, i think I was facing east?
Providing I was facing east then aprox ssw there was a bright star low in the sky, it was obscured by some willow so I didn't get a good look at it, could that have been the commet?
My bearings are from Google earth I could easily be well out with my direction?
Would I be looking east at the plough 1.30am?

Cheers Al