Anyone got Simms the Headwaters wading boots, and any problems with them.

Esk1

Reaction score
Hi There.
I’ve got a pair of the above boots only worn a couple of times.
What I have noticed is the one boot fits perfectly and the other is fine in the foot, but seems to rub at the Achilles heel area so making it a little uncomfortable after continue wear.
Do these boots have less padding than say the freestones at the heal, and should I think of a way to pad out the heal a little with a thicker sock.
Or are there any issues with this Simms model of boot.
Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
Esk1.

Tyke

Reaction score
It may not be the boots, many people's feet aren't perfectly symmetrical.

I take the same size shoe on each foot but when they were measured in a posh shoe shop I found my left foot was slightly longer but slightly slimmer than my right foot.

I some cases the differential is more marked.

Regards, Tyke.

Johnnieboy

Reaction score
Hi There.
What I have noticed is the one boot fits perfectly and the other is fine in the foot, but seems to rub at the Achilles heel area so making it a little uncomfortable after continue wear.
Do these boots have less padding than say the freestones at the heal, and should I think of a way to pad out the heal a little with a thicker sock.
Esk1.

ive for 3 pair of Simms boots and none of them fit me right, 1 pair are too tight at the toes, 1 pair the same as yours hurt at the heel on the right boot and the other pair kill my right ankle due to the twisty bit for tightening them.....so I guess it's my dodgy shaped feet.

i had a cheap pair of greys boots a few years ago that fitted perfect....had to throw them out as they weren't Simms??.....thanks for reminding me though I need to find another pair for next week??

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
The Cobblers last thats used to make the boots is different for American feet than it is for European feet.You also need to look at your lacing arrangement!,the Boa type of boots are ok for symmetrical feet that fit the last, any difference in shape will result in an uncomfortable fit.
I once had some Simms River Tech boots, great on dry land, but as soon as they were knee deep or deeper in water they were pure agony!.I'd taken the trouble to take my waders and socks to Sportsfish and get a proper fitted size and eventually went through two different pairs with no difference(sports fish were great about it all!).
Sadly I have wide very fat high feet and have difficulty with normal foot wear in getting a fit, things such as wading boots I have to be very careful with.I do use Simms boots, but cant have the Boa type of system as I cant get them on at best and they wont lace effectively on my feet.
Just on the off chance,I'd check the stocking foot on your wader, see thats ok, and I allways wear a quality sea boot sock between normal sock and wader, try that!.
Good luck,Pedro.

Esk1

Reaction score
Hi There.
Thanks for all your comments, and you may be right about feet not being symmetrical.
As there’s enough room in the boot I may try the thicker sock idea, as apart from some discomfort with continued wear they are a good boot.
Otherwise I will use my back up pair of Freestones.
The stocking foot appear good with no raised edges or creases.
Thanks again useful and helpful comments as always.
Esk1.

Speytime

Reaction score
Hi There.
Esk1.

Try lacing them in a suitable way
How to Lace Walking Boots | Expert Advice

Al

Tangled

Reaction score
I have the headwaters (lace ups) and have no problem with them....

wetwader

Reaction score
Hi There.
Esk1.

I used many Simms boots, different models, actually also the Headwaters. They have a stiffer „Platform“ than some other Simms boots, for example the G3.
They are wider too and have less/thinner Neopren inside, compared to the G3 at least. It’s also less anatomically formed.
In combination of stiffer and wider this causes too much movement in the boot for the feet, what could result in the issues you have at the heel. Only a thought of course and only you can check yourself.
If so, the boot needs to be made narrower with the laces to minimize movement of the feet and rubbing around the heel. The problem with the Headwaters is, it’s a little bit too thin in the tongue material (also compared to the G3). More pressure with the laces results in too much pressure for the ankle and the upside of the feet.

You have to figure it out and try the combinations of lace placement, thrown in by Speytime. Great ! Have to try it myself.

Additional I would recommend to wear „victim socks“ outside of the waders, between stocking feet and boots.
I do it for decades now. It’s an additional protection for the waders and additional warmth. Try oversized Fleece socks or Vision Neopren Neo Cover socks (easiest).

Different things to try. Hope you can fix this issue. Nearly nothing worse than boots that don’t fit properly.
Good luck!

Esk1

Reaction score
Thanks Wet wader for your useful and informative reply.
I did at one point thinking I was doing something wrong, as other anglers seem to wear boots that are comfortable without discomfort and tired feet; and did think perhaps there was too much stockingfoot inside the boot, though if they were too fitted would be a nightmare to get off.
I will give your suggestions a try and revisit them, as you said there’s nothing worse than buying boots only to find you cannot wear them due to discomfort.
Thanks
Esk1.

Johnnieboy

Reaction score
I ended up buying another pair of boots a couple of weeks ago, Simms flyweights.....by far the best boots I’ve had in terms of comfort, may not offer as much support as the others but very very comfy boots??

jamjar

Reaction score
Had mine for a couple seasons now and am really pleased with them. Sturdy and easy on/off but def benefit from studs

Esk1

Reaction score
Hi Speytime.
Yes I did try lacing them differently and it did
help, also a little padding around my big toe has done the trick, and managed to wear them for several hours on a couple of occasions without any further problems.
I now need to work out how to keep the laces tight,once bedded in after walking to the river, I think I know why boa type boots are useful.
I’m happy to be able to make use of what are good boots.
Thanks.
Esk1.