Anyone enjoy other types of fishing other than salmon ?

Reaction score
I came to trout fishing first about 30 years ago and then got started on salmon about 10 years ago. I thoroughly enjoy salmon fishing but in my opinion there is more skill involved in stalking a nervous wild brown trout on a river than in hooking a salmon.

Sure, it is harder to land a big salmon once hooked but the hooking part is, to a great extent, luck. Get yourself in the right place at the right time and get your fly in the river. Good trout fishing is several degrees more difficult.

I think the best salmon fishermen and fisherwomen will catch fish when others won't and, while that demonstrates a degree of skill I'm unlikely to ever achieve, it is beside my point. A novice salmon angler stands a good chance of hooking a salmon whereas a novice trout angler stands very little chance of hooking much more than the bush behind him or her and a few small trout if they're lucky.

Last edited:

Reeboker

Reaction score
Bass fishing looks great fun when ive seen them lure fishing. We dont get many off northumberland by all accounts but its on my to do list. Do they put up much of a fight ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
yes they do ,on fly an spin they put up a good account of themselves

Reaction score
Used to be only really the salmon fishing for me as I was really lucky to experience top class fishing at least twice a week if not daily over seasons growing up. Now with busy work and family life and the fishing not what it was I have really started to enjoy the trout, sea fishing with more than a few days chasing salmon. Been catching some nice pollock this year already on various west coast lochs. Also had mackerel this month, with codling and whiting. However, the Pollock I have been catching on a mini shad with a 6'6 light 1/4- 3/4 oz spinning rod with 10lb braid, go a bit. The fights and runs are simply stunning and its so much fun. Very light fishing but hard to beat the power. Will get the fly rod out when it warms up a bit. Pollock on the fly is a great experience. I'd fully recommend fishermen going and catching some fish every now and again be that trout, pike, cod, roach whatever. You can even eat some of them ha. Too many blanks leave us all a little grumpy and the forum makes for easier reading if we are all getting our string pulled ;).

image.jpg

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Have done all sorts of freshwater fishing down the years, not much sea fishing.

Trout and grayling fishing, mainly on rivers.

Salmon and seatrout.

I used to fish for pike quite a lot in the winter, deadbait, livebait, spinning.

Carp of all shapes and sizes (well up to around 20 lbs).

"Normal" coarse fishing (float fishing, ledgering etc) for roach, rudd, chub, tench, bream, perch, barbel etc

Nowadays, trout on rivers, occasional forays for salmon and seatrout, occasional summer forays for carp with a fly rod and occasional winter forays for pike with a fly rod.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Used to be only really the salmon fishing for me as I was really lucky to experience top class fishing at least twice a week if not daily over seasons growing up. Now with busy work and family life and the fishing not what it was I have really started to enjoy the trout, sea fishing with more than a few days chasing salmon. Been catching some nice pollock this year already on various west coast lochs. Also had mackerel this month, with codling and whiting. However, the Pollock I have been catching on a mini shad with a 6'6 light 1/4- 3/4 oz spinning rod with 10lb braid, go a bit. The fights and runs are simply stunning and its so much fun. Very light fishing but hard to beat the power. Will get the fly rod out when it warms up a bit. Pollock on the fly is a great experience. I'd fully recommend fishermen going and catching some fish every now and again be that trout, pike, cod, roach whatever. You can even eat some of them ha. Too many blanks leave us all a little grumpy and the forum makes for easier reading if we are all getting our string pulled ;).

View attachment 17299
The kayak fishing seems to be getting really popular these days. Everytime im at the coast now i seem to see someone heading out or back in with a fishing kayak. Wonder how many funny looks you would get harling in your favourate salmon beat with a kayak lol

Dryfly

Reaction score
Trout fish at least a couple of days a week in the season. Then grayling in the winter.

I live in chalk stream country and am a member of the magnificent Salisbury and District AC. So, when I go salmon fishing sometimes I get confused and face the wrong way and wonder why the fly isn't swinging.

Wouldn't mind a bit of summer tench fishing now and then.

Big Ben

Reaction score
I grew up with a burn in the back garden and a river that flowed into so fishing for me as a kid was a 6 ft spinning rod, a float and a tub of worms. I yearn to go back to that and will hopefully this year. Relive my childhood and hopefully the memories that go with it. Times when a 9 inch trout was HUGE!!!!!

I still water for browns, rainbows and tiger trout on a local club which is massively under fished and amazing value for money. The 9 year waiting list tells its own story.

I dabbled in sea fishing but never really got into it mainly because we were complete novices and didnt know the marks or the right tackle to have any real success. Salmon fishing happened by chance and spey fishing even more so. Fortunately both stuck and the rest as they say is history.

I also have a massive urge to return to Flotterstone on the way to Hillend Edinburgh and wander the stream there tickling trout. Again a childhood haunt of mine.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
I,v fished both match and pleasure in Sea,Game and coarse,got trophies in them all.
Now i don,t sea fish in the winter for Cod as i can,t collect my own bait.I do have the odd day in the salt with the fly for Bass,Cod and Flounders,and Pollack in the summer.
I also like to fly fish for Pike.My pb is 28lb on a Salmon fly from my local river while fishing for Salmon.Sadly they have all gone now.
I now find sitting watching a rod tip waiting for a bite very boring so i use a spey rod for probably 90% of my fishing,its amazing what you can cast on one with the right set up and a lot less tiring than overhead casting with a single hander for hours on end.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own coun
All sound a bit familiar !

Here's one I prepared earlier ! :D

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread139667.html
Jings...

Ah, but that is a good 4 months ago, so perhaps there's a desperate need for the "all new, killer variant" we're always being told we must have.

;)Or is it a plot? Rerun all the non-contentious threads and get a load of "post-Springer" (;) sensu post-Truth :eek: ) members to create a "ceaseless tide..." to bury the thought-provocation and fill the place up with "modern, social-media savvy "content" " so everyone can forget what has changed...

If anything:rolleyes:

:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Jings...

Ah, but that is a good 4 months ago, so perhaps there's a desperate need for the "all new, killer variant" we're always being told we must have.

;)Or is it a plot? Rerun all the non-contentious threads and get a load of "post-Springer" (;) sensu post-Truth :eek: ) members to create a "ceaseless tide..." to bury the thought-provocation and fill the place up with "modern, social-media savvy "content" " so everyone can forget what has changed...

If anything:rolleyes:

:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D
Or just trying to make conversation and add something to a forum.

AlanT

Reaction score
I still trout fish occasionally. Not a lot but a couple of rainbow outings a year and a few days on the river with some dry flies for brownies.

Still have my annual trip up to sutherland every year for 4-5 days and tramp the hills searching for remote hill lochs.

Quality over quantity these days.

Would like to do an Orkney and a Shetland trip soon, maybe one of them this year.

Tony M

Reaction score
Evening all,

Firstly, no I'm not a copper.

My fishing is split, at the moment it's river fishing for coarse fish on the Thames, Avon and Test. Trotting is my preferred method if conditions allow and it's mainly roach, dace, grayling and chub with a few out of season trout chucked in.

I'll start Salmon fishing in mid-March a couple of days every other week until the end of July. I've also got 11 days boat fishing booked during this period for tope, blonde rays and bass. Oh and I'll fish the Kennett for trout from mid-April to Mid-June (the easy time!)

After my holidays it's mainly coarse fishing tidal Thames from my boat and I'll be going back to fish the Wye again for barbel and chub. That'll bring me to November and back to where I started.

So to answer the question, a resounding yes from me, tight lines everyone.

Tony

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I used to a bit of course fishing, the local angling club for rainbows and blue's bt my favourite is going out for the wild brownies and the grayling

Riptide

Reaction score
Pretty much been fly only fishing for me since I started 35 years ago, not a snob I just love fly fishing and never took to bait or spinning.

Do a bit of saltwater stuff and love to travel- could have paid of the mortgage years ago if I hadnt become a Tarpon addict!

Still trout fish on the Tweed and Caithness lochs, also visit central Spain every year great dry fly fishing for Barbel and a load of other species.

scagit

Reaction score
In the Winter some grayling fishing, but mostly sea fishing off the Wall or Pier for the elusive Blackpool Halibut (Dab) Codling and Whiting, then river Trout fishing till there is a sign of Salmon or Sea Trout.
I had two weeks back in time on the broads last year with an old mate from my coarse fishing days and we really enjoyed fishing from the back of the boat, with Mothers Pride the killer bait catching Bream and Roach.

RUSH

Reaction score
Pike grayling trout rainbows and a bit of coarse fishing I want to get a good pike on the fly rod hopefully this will work IMG_0339.jpg

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Pike grayling trout rainbows and a bit of coarse fishing I want to get a good pike on the fly rod hopefully this will work View attachment 17313
I am sure it will by the looks of it ! How long is it ?

When I started fishing for pike with the fly, I used flies about 4 inches long and caught plenty but nearly all jacks. Since buying and using 6 to 9 inch flies, I get doubles fairly regularly and even one lump of around 30.

Last edited:

RUSH

Reaction score
I am sure it will by the looks of it ! How long is it ?

When I started fishing for pike with the fly, I used flies about 4 inches long and caught plenty but nearly all jacks. Since buying and using 6 to 9 inch flies, I get doubles fairly regularly and even one lump of around 30.
I've tied about a dozen about 5 to 7 inches long my only worry is the hooks are to small,they are 2/0

Lcn

Reaction score
Done most forms of coarse fishing down the years (except for bream) , trout fishing and a bit of beach casting . Now just stick to ultralighting for perch and jerkbaiting for pike , barbel and chub fishing , trotting, trout fishing and this will be my first season for salmon and sea trout .

goosander

Reaction score
Prefer the browns nowadays. Not so much of a gamble as with the silver tourists. Grayling on a late summer evening with those small boil rises. Over wintered rainbows are also great sport.
I am spoilt as I have 3 lochs and 2 rivers I can fish any time in season.
Bob.