Anybody used Talon Wading Studs?

Tyke

Reaction score
I've used them, they are a steel stud rather than the tungsten tipped type & so they wear down more swiftly than the tungsten variety but they are much cheaper & so you can afford to replace them - which you need to do as once they wear down & become smooth they don't offer much grip.

That said the ones I have fitted to a pair of Simms guide boots with the Aqua stealth soles have remained well anchored & not come loose. Also the applicator tool makes fitting / replacing them easy.

In summary they are not as good as the more expensive types but at the price you can afford to keep replacing them. However have you looked at the ice racing tyre studs? I haven't tried them yet but they look like they should offer plenty of grip.

Regards, Tyke.

RUSH

Reaction score
Yes I've used them on the bison neoprene bootfoot waders and the bison felt soled wading boots without any problems tyke's spot on with what he says

the dipper

Reaction score
good studs can be a life saver, why take a risk ..simms hardbite tungsten studs are the best so why even risk it for the saving of 20 quid or so .would you put crap tyres on the family car.

Oscar

Reaction score
good studs can be a life saver, why take a risk ..simms hardbite tungsten studs are the best so why even risk it for the saving of 20 quid or so .would you put crap tyres on the family car.

No, but nor would I buy the most expensive. I have long since learned that cost does not equal quality.

The point of the thread was to establish whether these were any good at all, or whether they were a complete waste of time. I like the small 'nipple' on them, which appears to me to be a better solution than the type which are just like hex screws.

Given the responses to date, I may well give them a try.

Thanks all, Oscar.

ROGI

Reaction score
Picked this us a few years late but i have used Talon studs for over ten years now and cannot recommend highly enough. Yes you have to change them every 3- 5 years obviously depending on use but i find their shape excellent and only fit them on my felts on front tip and rear of heel.
However now finding them very hard to get hold of.

Tangled

Reaction score
Yeh, supatracks. Tungsten and made originally for car and truck tyres.
Those hex screws are worse than useless, too soft and they come out.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Spend the money on supatrax mate. They last longer than your boots will.
One if the jobs on my list is to remove them from my sons old boots and fit them to his new ones.
They are bullet proof and don't come out

westie4566

Reaction score
No, sorry imho they're rubbish and wear down far too quickly.

See Happy Days' response above. I concur Supatrax 3000b all day long.

Edited to add, has anyone tried the 1605's yet? They appear to be aimed at felt soled boots but seem much longer in the thread than the 3000b's which I've used for years.

goosander

Reaction score
Supatracks 1100's work really well with vibram soles, you still get the benefit of the rubber grip in/out of water but just enough length for the studs to bite on rocks
Can not see past Supatracks studs. Have out lasted the felt soles many times. Put them on the Vibram soles and were not any good. Discovered that they press into the rubber when your weight goes on them.
Bob.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Can not see past Supatracks studs. Have out lasted the felt soles many times. Put them on the Vibram soles and were not any good. Discovered that they press into the rubber when your weight goes on them.
Bob.

I've never had any problems with with them in my vibram soles (simms boots) plenty of grip 👍🏻

Rrrr

Reaction score
Kold kutters for me. Cheap and do everything i need them to do in my vibram soles. I just replace them when they wear down.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

madcaster

Reaction score
Screenshot_20201229-223517_Samsung Internet.jpg

madcaster

Reaction score
bit of an IT glitch above and pressed post 🙄
A pair of vibram soles and a pair of felt, will 8/10 on each do , 40 studs?

MADCASTER

Troosers Too

Reaction score
For what its worth.

After the complete and utter abject failure of a set of Simms studs over the course of a week's fishing on the Oich & Ness I bought a set of the Orvis studs as they have a shop near to my home. They have been superb, with no apparent wear over the last 3 years and they do grip like buggery.

Someone on here suggested that the Simms studs have the tungsten tip glued / attached to a steel stud. When that attachment fails, the tip falls off and you are left with the soft smoth steel tip only. That certainly seems to have been the problem with mine.

DonnieH

Reaction score
The 1100 have been recommended previously. Any views on the 1605 version they have now specifically for boots?

Scottratt

Reaction score
Have a look for koldcutter studs. They use them on tyres for racing dirt bikes. I’ve used the. For years.very cheap and hard wearing. I think I bought 200 for 29 quid a few year back

Briany

Reaction score
Simms do not last long and are expensive, I went to KoldCutters last year and they grip. The lower Deschutes can be like walking on snot and i was tired of the simms studs wearing out fast. As some one said you can buy 200 KoldCutters for 25.00