Any trail camera users?

Reaction score
Sorry I know this isn't salmon related but then again alot of anglers love the countryside and wildlife as much as salmon. During the past few weeks I've bought a new toy. One of these trail camera's. I've had it out three times in Argyll with limited success.
The first time I placed the camera for about a week and on returning found it had 7 pictures. I couldn't wait to check. I was thinking fox, deer etc. Then reality set in. 4 of me putting it up and 3 of me taking it down haha. That one went down well with the mates I can tell you.
The second time I caught on camera nothing but voles, rats and mice. Several different types of rodent anyway. Quite interesting but not really what I was looking for. I was asked what I was hoping to see and I was hoping for a fox, red deer and dreaming of a pine marten.
Well picked up the camera today and finally got something a bit more exciting. Seriously happy. I know not cool but my fishing on the Tay starts soon so the toy can go back in storage until next winter. I must add I don't hunt or have any plans to hunt anything. I love seeing wildlife alive, including salmon bar the few I take for steaks or smoking.
If anyone has one let me know what you've captured and if anyone is thinking about one I would fully recommend. For during the close season of course haha.
Anyway I have two videos which I put on youtube today if anyone is interested they are:
Argyll Trail Camera Pine marten - YouTube
Argyll Trail Camera Fox - YouTube

Tonyc

Reaction score
trail cameras

I use mine in conjunction with deer management. Had a roebuck savaging saplings last year so I bought a camera and set it up - didn't notice the thin branch waving around in front of the camera!

Came back next day to find 1,600 pictures of a waving branch and 1 of a roebuck looking at the lense. At least we found out that he was aroundd in the middle of the night and therefore not shootable.

Tony

Reaction score
Yeah Tony easy done with the branches ;) I somehow thought of that and removed the lower few from the tree I was attached too. But like everything it's trial and error. Very interesting bits of kit. Next time I'm going to try for one of these big cats everyone on the forum has seen:D

Reaction score
What camera were you using?
The camera I was using was an ltl acorn 12mp trail cam. I know not a great camera but it's been more than good enough for my needs. I bought it on eBay for £80 which I feel was good value. I'm tempted to buy another cam. Maybe a bit better. I had the camera in the tay forest on banks of loch tummel lately but it was poorly placed and I got he haw. Same success as with the fishing.
Have you got one? Or interested in one?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes you are of course right. The bushnell cameras look pretty impressive with the price tag to match. Coming in from over £200 for a HD video cam. Money I couldn't justify at the moment. I think I would rather have two lesser cameras for that money. Two times the chance of catching something worthwhile and if one gets stolen not the end of the world. Though where I be placing them very little chance of any human stumbling upon it.

Cspey

Reaction score
Camera

We use a lot of these cameras for wildlife monitoring work. Currently using one called a Keep Guard 8mp, great stills, video and IR shots. From what I can make out they are built using bushnell optics and sold under the Keep Guard name. You should find them online at Amazon for about 150 bones.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Cspey great information. I will certainly look into that camera if I do purchase another. Do you have any examples of pics or videos from the Keep Guard cam?

Cspey

Reaction score
One of last years better shots. This one was taken at 5mp to save space as I had no SD card at the time.

Reaction score
Fantastic Cspey.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I appreciate it. I have my camera set up for a picture and then a 20 sec video. I'm very impressed with the recommendation and price of your Keep Guard cam. Obviously in your wildlife survey you captured deer. What else turned up? Anything not expected?
Seriously it would be a dream of mine to get some footage of a Scottish wildcat. I'm in carrbridge for at least a week later in year so have a slight chance anywhere around the cairngorms. Anyway I'll put cam out in argyll again soon.

Last edited:

Cspey

Reaction score
Nothing un-expected has turned up yet, we quite often use the cameras overlooking, or on route to, some sort of food source. The nature of the food determines the most likely candidates to visit the site. It can get a bit tedious sorting through 300 pictures of the same mouse emptying your feeder, while at the same time trying to convince yourself they don't have facial expressions, and he's definitely not laughing at you.