Any tips for underhand casting.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Fished the fly most of the day yesterday and found when i concentrated on using the bottom hand for power the line was flying out but any lack of concentration when the wind was gusting and i was reverting back to an old falkus style propper spey cast which with the rod im using and with a shooting head just zaps all of the power out of it. Is there any tips to make sure im allways using the bottom hand or is it just a case of practise untill its first nature as this rod dosent seem too forgiving if you try and force a bit of power out of it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SP8

Reaction score
Keep a very relaxed grip with your top hand. I know that there is a tendency to grip harder when the wind blows or when you are trying for distance. If you can keep your grip loose and resist any temptation to push with the top hand it should help. Less is more!

SP8

porteouz

Reaction score
Keep a very relaxed grip with your top hand. I know that there is a tendency to grip harder when the wind blows or when you are trying for distance. If you can keep your grip loose and resist any temptation to push with the top hand it should help. Less is more!

SP8

Yes this is what I do too. Try holding it with just three fingers or with your thumb and first finger create a 'loop', or any other way that limits your ability to apply power through the top hand.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Cheers. Both make alot of sense. I tend to grip my top hand with the thumb and first 2 fingers as the little finger and one next to it are knackerd from old injuries etc so dont grip too well. Going to give both a try as when i get it right its so efficient and the line flys.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Faulks was no doubt using a line that was 4/5x the rod length where as you were using a line around 3x the rod length,shorter lines require a shorter casting stroke,
In the underhand casting style the dominant hand is the bottom hand the top hand only rises and drops during the cast the bottom hand pushes out and rises a little in a half moon shape towards the target to make the back cast and gets pulled back down to where it started(your hip)
Keep a shoft grip with your hands this allows you to feel the weigth and load on the rod,the top hand grip on the rod should be just thumb and forefinger allowing the rod to rotate through the half moon shape the bottom hand produces
Loads of underhand demos on utube but Goran Andersson is the father of them all,
A fast action rod is best,and long leaders (minimum being at least the rod length )for best results

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21259

One of the most common reasons associated with top hand dominance when casting a double handed rod is allowing the bottom hand to migrate across your body and therefore rendering it pretty much unusable. The only real option then open is to push the rod with the top hand. A good exercise to help mitigate against this is to draw an imaginary line down the centre of your ribcage down to your groin and not allowing the bottom hand to migrate across this imaginary line. After delivery of the line the arm of the upper hand should still be flexed and not straightened out. These are only general statements however and without seeing your actual cast it is quite difficult to offer a more definite critique

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
It helps if you have a stiffish rod with a top action. I also speed up my casting action with a slightly smaller D and snap back my lower hand into my midriff while stopping the forward action of the tip just after 12 0'clock quite abruptly with my top hand.

Eminem

Reaction score
I'm far from being an expert but for what it's worth.....
I always tell myself to "hug the rod" when I'm casting.
In effect I try to keep the elbow of my top hand (I vary this and practice with left and right hand uppermost) tucked into my midriff. If you can avoid to temptation to push with your top hand, the only option left for you to generate a forward cast is to pull with your bottom hand.
I also try to make sure my top hand (fulcrum/pivot point) never drops once my D-loop is created. Although the cast will work, it opens up the loop a bit tool much for my liking.

Oh yes.......and simply practice, practice and then practice some more. Muscle memory is the key.

Rrrr

Reaction score
It helps if you have a stiffish rod with a top action. I also speed up my casting action with a slightly smaller D and snap back my lower hand into my midriff while stopping the forward action of the tip just after 12 0'clock quite abruptly with my top hand.
Its a 13ft lpxe so set up for that style of casting i think. I keep finding myself throwing a big d loop when not paying attention and my anchors away :p

Rrrr

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong im getting used to it and getting better each time out but looking for a more constant cast as i love the fact that this style of casting is so efficient. Also and probably the main thing is im really enjoying it and using the fly rod over the spinning rod more than ever.

Dazza

Reaction score
Bottom Hand

1. Like in golf always exaggerate a change in your stroke so that when you stop concentrating you end up somewhere between your original stroke and the exaggerated stroke.
2. Try to form your D Loop by pushing the bottom hand away from your body with the left arm almost fully extended - If the bottom hand isn't pushed away from your body then you will be unable to pull it back towards your body.
3. When practising try to finish the cast with your bottom hand under your armpit and your right arm still bent.
4. Practice some aerial casts with your right hand acting as a pivot, almost still, and your bottom hand moving the rod tip back and forward, then try to feel this motion in your normal casting stroke.
5. Practice the motion, without a rod, in front of a mirror or window reflection - Its amazing how much this helps.

And remember to create a good cast the rod must unload. For this to happen effectively then you must stop the rod so that it unloads and catapults the line forward. If you push through with your right arm then you will lose a lot of power. What works for me is a short fast push and stop with the top hand late in the casting stroke. Try exaggerating this snapping the rod back towards you with the top hand - Not literally :D

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Cheers for all the replys. Got a ton of great info and tips to work on. Now i just need more time on the river to get things figured out. Cant wait for light nights to put the hours in after work aswel as weekends.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Try sneaking up to the river while no one is looking.
If i could get away with it i would. Im the boss man so can go fishing when i want in theory but i dont think customers would be pleased when they show up to pick their motors up and ive a gone fishing sign on the door. I do get a nice lull in buisness about may time that im taking full advantage of with a few 4 day weeks.

Last edited:

Allt graad

Reaction score
Moving your top hand down the handle like T7 said is a good tip.
It helped me a lot. It forces you to use your bottom hand more.
After you've fished like this for a while and using your bottom hand feels like the natural way to cast then slowly start moving you hand back up till your grip is around shoulder width apart again.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Yea it makes a lot of sense to kill the power with the top hand to make the bottom hand work more. Cant wait to get out and get learning again now.

Dryfly

Reaction score
try holding with just your finger tips one the top hand. Just three and your thumb, lightly. It really helped me when learning the cast. You just cannot put a lot of power through the top that way.

minitube

Reaction score
Fished the fly most of the day yesterday and found when i concentrated on using the bottom hand for power the line was flying out but any lack of concentration when the wind was gusting and i was reverting back to an old falkus style proper spey cast which with the rod im using and with a shooting head just zaps all of the power out of it. Is there any tips to make sure im allways using the bottom hand or is it just a case of practise untill its first nature as this rod dosent seem too forgiving if you try and force a bit of power out of it.

Hi Rrrr,

I learned Spey Casting technique from three different people in Scotland over various courses and clinics, (Peter Anderson, Ally Gowans, and James Chalmers), none of them were top hand dominant in power application, all to varying degrees stressing the importance of the bottom hand, and body use, in power application. Whether its Spey or shooting head outfits, personally I consider bottom hand use is the essence of good double hand rod casting. No matter how difficult it is to change over to that fairly counter intuitive way initially of casting a double handed rod, the efficiency and results in the end make it well worth the effort.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Here's the clip of Goran Andersson demonstrating his 'underhand cast', which Dexter might have had in mind:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnc40QQKiVo

I gather what must of us do as the underhand is now more often labelled the 'modern Scandi cast' which is not the same as Andersson's cast
H
Aye i would say what im looking at and trying to master would be a modern scandi cast. Big returns with little effort and the lines are a joy to cast. Only issue i found was last weekend tourists love a picture or video from the far bank of a nice spey cast. It was irritating to say the least.