Any run ins this past season?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Just wondering if any forum members had any run ins on the river Bank this year with other anglers or river users?

Over the past couple of years I've become more and more of a recluse at the river. I used to talk to everyone I met at the river. Over recent years though I've met people, said things to them, then heard I was being talked about the length and breadth of the river for things I didn't say at all. Now I'm just talked about as the ignorant so and so at the river who speaks to no one and that suits me just fine. :lol: This past season is one I've really enjoyed as a result.

My season of 'anti-stalking', learning people's habits so I could avoid them, had worked really well right throughout the summer. Into September though, I had to try and get to the river more during the day. This was when the anti-stalking policy got more difficult.

To be fair, it was the last week of September when I had my first run in. Then I had a second one before the end of the week. :lol:

I had got things sorted at home on the Monday morning and had a couple of hours to spare so thought I'd go to the river. There was still some water on from the recent flood but not a lot.

I was just going through my back gate, the river is about 100 yards away, and I saw someone coming down the far bank. I do 99% of my fishing from that bank so assumed the guy was heading where I was intending to go.

There is, or was, another pool before that but it just hasn't fished the same for me since the massive flood of 2017. It is now just a stream but people do get fish in it. I don't enjoy fishing it anymore and have only fished it a handful of times in recent years. Usually when there is someone in the pool I usually start at. It is fished from left bank where all the rest of my fishing is from the right bank.

I reckoned there was no point in me heading to my intended pool so I'd let him fish it. I would fish the other pool and he should be well down my pool by the time I had fished down to it.

There's a shallow stream at the neck of the first pool and I would usually go down the right bank and cross the shallow stream to get into the neck of where the stream deepens before entering the pool.

Access from the left bank is very difficult since the big flood with the path that we used to use to enter it being washed away. The bank is 10 to 12 foot high and to access the pool from the left bank, you have to enter the top of the shallow stream about 70 yards above where you start fishing and wade down. Its a bit of a faff and not something I do too often.

Anyway, as I felt this guy was heading to the pool I was intending to fish, I thought I'd get into the river at that spot on the left bank and wade down.

I was coming down the field beside the river and I could see the guy getting over a fence on the far bank. He must have removed his net to get over the fence as I could see he was putting the strap of the net over his head again. By this stage I was about 20-30 yards from the point where I needed to enter the river. He was 70-80 yards above me again.

I just got to the point where I had to enter the river and I looked across and couldn't see anyone. I had just said to myself, "Where did yer man go?", when I heard sloshing and splashing. There was yer man coming tearing across the river like someone trying to do the 100m with a bag of Spuds tied to each leg, fly already removed and being false cast, while he's pulling line off the reel, almost tripping himself to get in in front of me. :lol:

I made some remark that if salmon were as plentiful as **** holes t the river, we'd be much better off.

Worked out perfectly for me as I crossed above him and went to the pool I'd intended to fish first day. :lol:

On my way home again, I tried to see where the guy had entered the river from the right bank. He must have slid off a bank 10 to 12 foot high to get in where he did. He must have literally jumped in and hoped for the best! :lol:

There would be a fair few salmon caught at the river before I'd chance my luck like that. He was adamant that I wasn't getting to fish before him.

On the Friday evening of that week, I had went to the river around 5 and had fished my two favourite pools. I was on my way home again but decided to fish a stream that is closest to my house. Its a nice place to fish in big water and there was a good height of water that evening.

I was about half way down the stream when I saw someone coming up the far bank. There where heavy showers around and I had the hood of my jumper and wading jacket up. I didn't even look across to see who it was or where they were heading. I just cast my line and was staring downstream as the line swung.

I had lifted the rod again to cast and as I was swinging round to form the loop I saw this guy standing in the water, almost directly opposite me, with a flying c dangling. I stopped the cast and he said, "I'm just going to have a wee throw in here lad!" I said, "Where exactly are you going to throw???“."Aww just in here between these two stones", he replied. "Over the top of my line?", I shouted back. "Aye but you're on that side and I'm on this side... ", I didn't let him finish his statement, "Get out of that stream te ****!!!“ :lol:

I was literally shaking with rage that this guy had walked from god knows where and decided it was OK to get into the river beside me. I was fuming inside the hood and I assumed he'd stormed off to the next pool when I heard him calling out "Did ye see any fish lad???“. I was that angry I just about blurted out a sarcastic," NAW".

When I came home and thought about it I could do nothing but laugh. :lol: I genuinely believe the guy didn't know any better. Probably hasn't fished for salmon too long to know the unwritten rules of etiquette etc. At the time though I was FUMING!!!

I fished that stream again the next evening and got my last fish of the season. :)

rotenone

Reaction score
Just wondering if any forum members had any run ins on the river Bank this year with other anglers or river users?

Over the past couple of years I've become more and more of a recluse at the river. I used to talk to everyone I met at the river. Over recent years though I've met people, said things to them, then heard I was being talked about the length and breadth of the river for things I didn't say at all. Now I'm just talked about as the ignorant so and so at the river who speaks to no one and that suits me just fine. This past season is one I've really enjoyed as a result.

My season of 'anti-stalking', learning people's habits so I could avoid them, had worked really well right throughout the summer. Into September though, I had to try and get to the river more during the day. This was when the anti-stalking policy got more difficult.

To be fair, it was the last week of September when I had my first run in. Then I had a second one before the end of the week.

I had got things sorted at home on the Monday morning and had a couple of hours to spare so thought I'd go to the river. There was still some water on from the recent flood but not a lot.

I was just going through my back gate, the river is about 100 yards away, and I saw someone coming down the far bank. I do 99% of my fishing from that bank so assumed the guy was heading where I was intending to go.

There is, or was, another pool before that but it just hasn't fished the same for me since the massive flood of 2017. It is now just a stream but people do get fish in it. I don't enjoy fishing it anymore and have only fished it a handful of times in recent years. Usually when there is someone in the pool I usually start at. It is fished from left bank where all the rest of my fishing is from the right bank.

I reckoned there was no point in me heading to my intended pool so I'd let him fish it. I would fish the other pool and he should be well down my pool by the time I had fished down to it.

There's a shallow stream at the neck of the first pool and I would usually go down the right bank and cross the shallow stream to get into the neck of where the stream deepens before entering the pool.

Access from the left bank is very difficult since the big flood with the path that we used to use to enter it being washed away. The bank is 10 to 12 foot high and to access the pool from the left bank, you have to enter the top of the shallow stream about 70 yards above where you start fishing and wade down. Its a bit of a faff and not something I do too often.

Anyway, as I felt this guy was heading to the pool I was intending to fish, I thought I'd get into the river at that spot on the left bank and wade down.

I was coming down the field beside the river and I could see the guy getting over a fence on the far bank. He must have removed his net to get over the fence as I could see he was putting the strap of the net over his head again. By this stage I was about 20-30 yards from the point where I needed to enter the river. He was 70-80 yards above me again.

I just got to the point where I had to enter the river and I looked across and couldn't see anyone. I had just said to myself, "Where did yer man go?", when I heard sloshing and splashing. There was yer man coming tearing across the river like someone trying to do the 100m with a bag of Spuds tied to each leg, fly already removed and being false cast, while he's pulling line off the reel, almost tripping himself to get in in front of me.

I made some remark that if salmon were as plentiful as **** holes t the river, we'd be much better off.

Worked out perfectly for me as I crossed above him and went to the pool I'd intended to fish first day.

On my way home again, I tried to see where the guy had entered the river from the right bank. He must have slid off a bank 10 to 12 foot high to get in where he did. He must have literally jumped in and hoped for the best!

There would be a fair few salmon caught at the river before I'd chance my luck like that. He was adamant that I wasn't getting to fish before him.

On the Friday evening of that week, I had went to the river around 5 and had fished my two favourite pools. I was on my way home again but decided to fish a stream that is closest to my house. Its a nice place to fish in big water and there was a good height of water that evening.

I was about half way down the stream when I saw someone coming up the far bank. There where heavy showers around and I had the hood of my jumper and wading jacket up. I didn't even look across to see who it was or where they were heading. I just cast my line and was staring downstream as the line swung.

I had lifted the rod again to cast and as I was swinging round to form the loop I saw this guy standing in the water, almost directly opposite me, with a flying c dangling. I stopped the cast and he said, "I'm just going to have a wee throw in here lad!" I said, "Where exactly are you going to throw???“."Aww just in here between these two stones", he replied. "Over the top of my line?", I shouted back. "Aye but you're on that side and I'm on this side... ", I didn't let him finish his statement, "Get out of that stream te ****!!!“

I was literally shaking with rage that this guy had walked from god knows where and decided it was OK to get into the river beside me. I was fuming inside the hood and I assumed he'd stormed off to the next pool when I heard him calling out "Did ye see any fish lad???“. I was that angry I just about blurted out a sarcastic," NAW".

When I came home and thought about it I could do nothing but laugh. I genuinely believe the guy didn't know any better. Probably hasn't fished for salmon too long to know the unwritten rules of etiquette etc. At the time though I was FUMING!!!

I fished that stream again the next evening and got my last fish of the season. :)
Yes I got detained for about 1.30 mins by fisheries inspectors in full camouflage on the kola river near murmansk, the reason was I was sent fishing without a license.
They were serious people with a point to prove, did not enjoy Irish wit and carried weapons on their belts.

Thank god for google translate it bought be enough time for the guide to arrive with the permit, I can laugh about it now but at the time it was not funny, basically the icing on the cake on a very poor week of fishing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Only really general abuse at kayaks and paddle boardists that show no respect. Paddle through by all means but when you have music blaring, jumping into pools and leaving the water to tresspass it becomes an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
I try not to get too hung up about things nowadays. If it's another angler who isn't following rules or etiquette I assume they don't know any better and try to give a bit of friendly advice. It's surprising how most appreciate this, and it has led to one or two friendships being made.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I try not to get too hung up about things nowadays. If it's another angler who isn't following rules or etiquette I assume they don't know any better and try to give a bit of friendly advice. It's surprising how most appreciate this, and it has led to one or two friendships being made.

There are a few on my river who try to push their luck. They know what they're doing and do it to get a rise out of whoever happens to be there. Spinning down a pool and when they reach the tail they turn round and spin back up again is one example. These are people who've fished for years and complain when someone does it to them. :lol:

You definitely need a lot of patience at times.

I've helped a few complete novices at the river and don't mind doing so most of the time.

There was one chap in particular who hadn't caught a salmon on my river in his life. Despite putting in a lot of hours but was casting more than he was actually fishing.

After giving him a few pointers he hooked and landed two salmon on one run down a stream into a pool. :lol:

There are a few people who you can help but most I meet now at the river feel they know everything because they've watched a few videos on the Internet.

I met a guy one evening standing in the middle of a pool casting towards the right bank. Any fish I ever hooked in it was towards the left bank. I tried to say, in a nice way, that he'd be better closer right bank casting towards the left and was told that he had paid for his permit and he could fish where he liked. Some people, there's just no talking to.

budge

Reaction score
There are a few on my river who try to push their luck. They know what they're doing and do it to get a rise out of whoever happens to be there. Spinning down a pool and when they reach the tail they turn round and spin back up again is one example. These are people who've fished for years and complain when someone does it to them.

You definitely need a lot of patience at times.

I've helped a few complete novices at the river and don't mind doing so most of the time.

There was one chap in particular who hadn't caught a salmon on my river in his life. Despite putting in a lot of hours but was casting more than he was actually fishing.

After giving him a few pointers he hooked and landed two salmon on one run down a stream into a pool.

There are a few people who you can help but most I meet now at the river feel they know everything because they've watched a few videos on the Internet.

I met a guy one evening standing in the middle of a pool casting towards the right bank. Any fish I ever hooked in it was towards the left bank. I tried to say, in a nice way, that he'd be better closer right bank casting towards the left and was told that he had paid for his permit and he could fish where he liked. Some people, there's just no talking to.
It doesn't sound like my kind of river there's always an odd one who acts ignorant but I tend not to rise to it now.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like my kind of river there's always an odd one who acts ignorant but I tend not to rise to it now.

It's definitely changed. You used to know everyone at the river and they all knew how to fish. Unfortunately, most of the old hands that I grew up with are no longer able to make it to the river.

The new generation coming through now and the lack of respect for local residents, farmers fields and wire fences, other anglers and the river itself is absolutely shocking.

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
It's definitely changed. You used to know everyone at the river and they all knew how to fish. Unfortunately, most of the old hands that I grew up with are no longer able to make it to the river.

The new generation coming through now and the lack of respect for local residents, farmers fields and wire fences, other anglers and the river itself is absolutely shocking.
Blimey ! Most of the anglers I meet on my local river are old hands, certainly the ones salmon fishing. Average age is probably over 50. We share the river with coarse anglers but generally all get on well.

JoeE

Reaction score
Got tossed out a club this season mid way after I reminded a lad not to walk into a pool in front of someone and leave it so that the first angler has to wind in his line to continue fishing the pool. Was totally unacceptable but when your not in the click, your out.

Greegs

Reaction score
I always try to be pleasant with people on the river but within every walk off life you get ********s.

A syndicate I’m in at Stair on the water Ayr a guy was fishing the tail of the bridge pool.
Knew he wasn’t in our syndicate & could see he was just learning to cast with the fly so left him to it.

I went up round to fish the stream before the dam & half way back down the guys right in the middle of the pool almost on the lie.

I hunted him in the best manner I could .

Turned out the boy had just moved into one of the cottages & assumed he could just fish the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneakypeter

Reaction score
No real run ins, just heavy hints to a couple of pool hoggers, quite how someone can spend literally hours, casting to the same spot or two in one small pool and think they are OK is beyond me, OK they may have caught a fish 3 years ago in that spot, but they always seem most put out when you remind them of the rules of the fishery, they then get more mobile, but that involves a minimum of 10 casts, then a small step and repeat etc, clueless. A more recent thing is the "leaches", the newbies who just require every ounce of hard won knowledge of a river be handed out with no effort to even try and work it out for themselves, I tend to avoid where possible!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
No real run ins, just heavy hints to a couple of pool hoggers, quite how someone can spend literally hours, casting to the same spot or two in one small pool and think they are OK is beyond me, OK they may have caught a fish 3 years ago in that spot, but they always seem most put out when you remind them of the rules of the fishery, they then get more mobile, but that involves a minimum of 10 casts, then a small step and repeat etc, clueless. A more recent thing is the "leaches", the newbies who just require every ounce of hard won knowledge of a river be handed out with no effort to even try and work it out for themselves, I tend to avoid where possible!
So it doesn't only happen on my river then!!! :lol:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
So it doesn't only happen on my river then!!! :lol:
A modern day phenomenon, the need for instant gratification in all forms of fishing, professional guides selling services for all branches of the sport! I have always liked to work it out for myself, whether it be salmon, barbel etc ,etc, success feels so much better, when you work it out yourself!!!
peter

Chicharito

Reaction score
Good points ! Some new members just want to be spoon fed with maps , pool names, how to fish the beat, a tour of the beat etc..... Just go and fish it and work it out yourself, that's what I always do on a new beat ! It's part of the fun of fishing a new beat! Anglers who can't work out a beat don't normally last long in the club anyway.
I don't mind anglers who hog a pool cos it normally means I have the rest of the beat to myself.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Got tossed out a club this season mid way after I reminded a lad not to walk into a pool in front of someone and leave it so that the first angler has to wind in his line to continue fishing the pool. Was totally unacceptable but when your not in the click, your out.
That's terrible JoeE.

That is one thing that gets every anglers back up but to be thrown out of a club for being stepped in in front of is poor form!

scoops

Reaction score

Not always the case some old timers also have zero etiquette, some act like they have a given right, thankfully theses are few and far between especially when salmon fishing
But a few months ago while fishing down a pool on the Don a big Range Rover pulled up on opposite bank old guy got out and started fishing about 20meters down from me, I just came out and walked down stared across the river no shouting but like I was invisible

Last edited:
G

guest2938

The fishing season may be closed but I had a run in only last night as it happens. From what Ive heard I’d imagine it’s a similar experience to having piles. I’m dealing with a real pain in the erse that I’m finding extremely difficult to shift

DCH

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A modern day phenomenon, the need for instant gratification in all forms of fishing, professional guides selling services for all branches of the sport! I have always liked to work it out for myself, whether it be salmon, barbel etc ,etc, success feels so much better, when you work it out yourself!!!
peter
I would be the same myself. Trying somewhere that you haven't fished before or for a long time. Turning up, trying to read the water for potential lies, doing a bit of scouting in low water or during the winter, looking for the big boulders that a fish may just lay up behind, even to just plan your wading. Getting a take after doing your homework gives a real sense of achievement for me. Then people honestly believe you should just give all that knowledge up as they can't be bothered?

Guides selling services!!! Don't get me started. I heard of a guy offering to guide on my river after he only started it fishing it the season before and hadn't caught a fish in it! Stuff like that makes my blood boil.

G

guest2938

I’ve been lucky over the years, the beat in Don was so underfished I hardly bumped into anyone, Ive never had one issue with anyone, and as for the Nairn, you actually look forward to bumping into the locals because a better bunch of people and anglers you could not meet. Waste so much time apart from fishing up there chatting and having a laugh with folk.

DCH

Greegs

Reaction score
I always like to sit & have a bit of craic with the older boys on the beat & get info on the river I’m on.

I do prefer to try & work a river out for myself but if your new to a river then you can’t beat talking to the old heads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lax0341

Reaction score
Run ins of canoeists , river walkers and bathing dogs. But met also some very nice guys on the riverbank.
Don‘t be too strict. There are some people new to salmon fishing which have no idea of the etiquette. Others fishing so slowly or so fast that there’s sometimes a bit of uncomfortablity.

budge

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had a problem with offering help and advice to anyone who seeks it. Doesn't matter to me whether it's a fellow angler, a new starter at work or an apprentice. I've never felt the need to tell them to "sort it out yourself". In fact there's no better feeling than having someone come and say thanks for helping them succeed

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had a problem with offering help and advice to anyone who seeks it. Doesn't matter to me whether it's a fellow angler, a new starter at work or an apprentice. I've never felt the need to tell them to "sort it out yourself". In fact there's no better feeling than having someone come and say thanks for helping them succeed

There are things you can tell someone and things that can't really be taught but is learned from experience.

You can give someone a few pointers in how to cast a rod but there are things like when to speed up a fly, when to slow down a fly, what depth to fish, etc. That comes with experience and can't really be taught.

I do a lot of clay shooting and have shot to a decent level. I will do all I can to help anyone shoot to a good level but as soon as I tell someone something and I hear "I know", that person will never hear a word from me again.

One example I can think of was the day a young chap landed at our ground with a new grade 5 miroku trap gun. He had shot a game gun for years and was struggling with the higher shooting trap gun.

The stock was higher for a start and he said it was hurting his cheek. I took him to one side on his own, spent a while with him showing how he could bring the gun to his head, rather than putting his head down onto the gun. After almost half an hour I had him mounting the gun perfectly. He was breaking clays and everything was great. He entered the next squad that was shooting and I sat in the hut to watch him shoot. After 5 targets he was mounting the gun the way he always had so was getting his cheek battered for the last 20 birds. When the line finished, he came off the line rubbing his cheek bone and said that I'd wasted his time as the gun was still knocking the face off him.

budge

Reaction score
There's always the odd one who knows the lot I just leave them to it and watch from a safe distance

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Not this season, in fact I've met some really great people this year and had offers to join them on their water.

I did have a run in with a Cormorant though, while I missed it with the rock, we'll be applying for permission to 'control' them over the winter.

Saw a mink too, missed that one as well.