Any recommendations on Polarised Glasses?

Hoddom

Reaction score
Specsavers of course. Bespoke Polaroids
pick your frames
pick your tint
have them made to measure and fitted on pickup
bogof too

why would anyone do anything else???

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Specsavers of course. Bespoke Polaroids
pick your frames
pick your tint
have them made to measure and fitted on pickup
bogof too

why would anyone do anything else???

Why?
Well the answer is quite simple, to reduce eye damage.
I used cheapo polaroids for decades.
I now have severe damage to one eye probably caused by sun reflecting off the the water and damage to both eyes caused by the wind (Consultant surgeons examination and diagnosis).

I now wear Cat 3 for all my angling, Costa 580s (Just wish Id started wearing them sooner).

playhappy

Reaction score
Bought some costa jose, glass copper, 580's - in 2017 - wear them all the time, pub, driving & every minute on the water - expensive but worth every penny imo.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Why?
Well the answer is quite simple, to reduce eye damage.
I used cheapo polaroids for decades.
I now have severe damage to one eye probably caused by sun reflecting off the the water and damage to both eyes caused by the wind (Consultant surgeons examination and diagnosis).

I now wear Cat 3 for all my angling, Costa 580s (Just wish Id started wearing them sooner).

I mean why not use specsavers? Not why wear them!!!!

professionally made to measure high quality glasses and you get 2 for the price of one!

been wearing glasses for everything since 1980 and always used optical polaroids

McPisces

Reaction score
I mean why not use specsavers? Not why wear them!!!!

professionally made to measure high quality glasses and you get 2 for the price of one!

been wearing glasses for everything since 1980 and always used optical polaroids
I recently had my routine 2 yearly examination, fortunately my prescription has not changed.
Due to the fact that for a few years now I have been switching between 2 pairs of glasses I have decided now is the time to finally switch to one pair.
I was shown the range of lenses in Specsavers and the polarised lenses pics had a river with fish as the with & without pictures.
I did not buy at the time as they did not have the frames I wanted but the deals they were offering, particularly the 2 for 1 with prescription & polarised lenses seemed good value to me.
I would appreciate anyone`s experiences of Specsavers polarised glasses, as they say warts and all don`t hold back!

Hoddom

Reaction score
I recently had my routine 2 yearly examination, fortunately my prescription has not changed.
Due to the fact that for a few years now I have been switching between 2 pairs of glasses I have decided now is the time to finally switch to one pair.
I was shown the range of lenses in Specsavers and the polarised lenses pics had a river with fish as the with & without pictures.
I did not buy at the time as they did not have the frames I wanted but the deals they were offering, particularly the 2 for 1 with prescription & polarised lenses seemed good value to me.
I would appreciate anyone`s experiences of Specsavers polarised glasses, as they say warts and all don`t hold back!
Been using them for 20+ years. predominantly for sight fishing trout in clear water. Outstanding. My current pair are varifocal too. In action now, waiting for a rise😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

cuda

Reaction score
Costa 580G in green copper - mine are prescription though so I had to sell a kidney to find them. I tried getting them cheaper as they were bought for a Florida trip and they were cheaper in the UK than buying in Florida despite being made there!

McPisces

Reaction score
Been using them for 20+ years. predominantly for sight fishing trout in clear water. Outstanding. My current pair are varifocal too. In action now, waiting for a rise😎
Thanks for your reply, those look the business.
I am now going for varifocals too so I just need to find some suitable frames, hopefully the ones I pick will be in stock this time.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Bought some costa jose, glass copper, 580's - in 2017 - wear them all the time, pub, driving & every minute on the water - expensive but worth every penny imo.

Expensive is as expensive does.
I paid £3k + for replacement lens surgery so consider £150 for a pair of Costas money well spent.

TIP for anyone buying Costas - there are knock-offs around.
The genuine lenses have the number 580 etched into the glass of the right hand lens, look carefully at the top corner with the glasses facing you. The polycarbonate lenses have a P after the number, glass lenses have just the number.
Glass is better for clarity, plastic provides better impact protection.

Last edited:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
It's
Expensive is as expensive does.
I paid £3k + for replacement lens surgery so consider £150 for a pair of Costas money well spent.

TIP for anyone buying Costas - there are knock-offs around.
The genuine lenses have the number 580 etched into the glass of the right hand lens, look carefully at the top corner with the glasses facing you. The glass lenses have a G after the number, plastic lenses have just the number.
Glass is better for clarity, plastic provides better impact protection.

It's actually the other way around with the etching, the glass has 580 etched and the Polycarbonate lens has 580P on the right hand lenses👍
IMAG8120.jpg