Another Scottish lockdown

keirstream

Reaction score
Bankwheel; the rescue involved 25 mountain rescuers over 108 man hours, and as previously stated the walkers where fined for travelling outwith their area and not for their exercise ( which was walking up the Munro ).

Keirstream; most of your points are on the money but the mountain in question is far from a " technically simple walking hill ". The normal walking route up the hill in winter can be an absolute avalanche trap in certain conditions, and it also has some of the best summer and winter climbing in Scotland.
Point taken Picasso, the route up the Buichaille can be dangerous in avalanche conditions. On that day there were no warnings in place. And they weren't climbers and weren't on the Rannoch Wall.
The real point I was making was, as I tried to highlight as being totally absurd, was that Bankwheel chose to create fantasy out of fact (his words).
Each man put in approximately 4 hours so 108 man hours, not 108 people.
I gave him every opportunity to correct that but still he continued to promote his fantasy story on which had grown multiple arms and legs.
Sensationalised is still the word I would use about his post.

lefthandup

Reaction score
That's not true (although the dodgers will have got caught out!)

Last time I looked, albeit a good few months ago now, less than 50% of the SE who should have been helped out actually did help and a lot certainly not up to 80%

There were all manner of little loopholes in it that shafted the SE. The biggest being the requirement of 3 years books....so tough if you'd been SE for less than that and been paying your dues.
The Dodgers haven't been caught out as such...they just didn't get the help the tax payers got.

As for the three years books...that is a hard one for those to swallow but how could the government base a figure on say one year self employment.

I think they were looking out for the long term tax paying S/E.

Ypres

Reaction score
Ok for you guys that live within or (who’s counting) near by.
Fortunately for me the Kinross Trout Fishery is exactly 5 miles out with Fife as is the River Devon if God forbid these restrictions go on that long. Salmon fishing is another matter however.

westie4566

Reaction score
The Dodgers haven't been caught out as such...they just didn't get the help the tax payers got.

As for the three years books...that is a hard one for those to swallow but how could the government base a figure on say one year self employment.

I think they were looking out for the long term tax paying S/E.
Yeah, but a bit unfair to give those who've started up a business within the last 3 years and paid into the system sfa, don't you think? Many small businesses fail within the first few years, however many more go on to be successful medium to large enterprises.

Even a scaled percentage system would have been fairer, instead of hanging them out to dry.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Yeah, but a bit unfair to give those who've started up a business within the last 3 years and paid into the system sfa, don't you think? Many small businesses fail within the first few years, however many more go on to be successful medium to large enterprises.

Even a scaled percentage system would have been fairer, instead of hanging them out to dry.
Absolutely....but I was really looking at it from a fortunate and personal point of view.

Anyhow....the fishing aspect is gonna be an interesting one , especially on beats like the Tweed which is close at hand to me.... who's going to turn a blind eye...again!

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score

Its not black and white though is it?
I was salaried for 25 years so paid my NI and my taxes.
I then went self employed.
So you're saying I shouldnt have been entitled to anything if this had started 2 years after I went self employed. I can assure you I had paid far more than sfa into the system by that point.

Its a complex model and 1 size won't fit all.
Unfortunately, there will be innocent losers.

westie4566

Reaction score
Its not black and white though is it?
I was salaried for 25 years so paid my NI and my taxes.
I then went self employed.
So you're saying I shouldnt have been entitled to anything if this had started 2 years after I went self employed. I can assure you I had paid far more than sfa into the system by that point.

Its a complex model and 1 size won't fit all.
Unfortunately, there will be innocent losers.
I was most certainly NOT saying that at all SC. Please reread my post again. I was actually defending the SE and the bum steer that many have ended up with. (I think that was LHU who were saying we were all tax dodgers 😂 )

If it makes you feel any better, I was one on those who ended up with sfa. Simply because I changed my business entity from Ltd Co. to SE 18 months before this hell broke out. Several decades of being a director, paying PAYE on salary, the required in dividends and CT AND SE books and tax up to date amounted to b;gger all from HMRC They just weren't interested in my track record at all.

Lockdown V1 was hell on earth, thankfully I was able to fund my own way out of it through savings. It still cost me the thick end of 20k. Business was robust between the last lockdown and this one, but that's still a load of money I'll never see back.

Hey, I still have the roof over my head, can probably fund this new lockdown (I'll be retiring at 80 though) and have my health.....so I'm still way better off than many other of the SE who've been shafted. My heart goes out to them though.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I was most certainly NOT saying that at all SC. Please reread my post again. I was actually defending the SE and the bum steer that many have ended up with. (I think that was LHU who were saying we were all tax dodgers 😂 )

If it makes you feel any better, I was one on those who ended up with sfa. Simply because I changed my business entity from Ltd Co. to SE 18 months before this hell broke out. Several decades of being a director, paying PAYE on salary, the required in dividends and CT AND SE books and tax up to date amounted to b;gger all from HMRC They just weren't interested in my track record at all.

Lockdown V1 was hell on earth, thankfully I was able to fund my own way out of it through savings. It still cost me the thick end of 20k. Business was robust between the last lockdown and this one, but that's still a load of money I'll never see back.

Hey, I still have the roof over my head, can probably fund this new lockdown (I'll be retiring at 80 though) and have my health.....so I'm still way better off than many other of the SE who've been shafted. My heart goes out to them though.
Only a cpl a years to go then 😜

I'll get my coat 😜

salarchaser

Reaction score

Sorry westie, my post didn't come across as intended. The problem with truncated typing and lack of inflection.

Sounds like we're largely agreeing.

Some innocent / genuine cases miss out, others get a windfall, yet others abuse the system.

Sunak did the best he could early on with the time available to him however, given the time that has passed, they should have refined the model and plugged some gaps.

A difficult time for many.

westie4566

Reaction score
Absolutely....but I was really looking at it from a fortunate and personal point of view.

Anyhow....the fishing aspect is gonna be an interesting one , especially on beats like the Tweed which is close at hand to me.... who's going to turn a blind eye...again!
Yeah, I gathered that. It's only when one is personally involved that you start looking at the nitty gritty of things,

As for the fishing....as I recall you seemed to do quite well catch wise during the last lockdown...vids fae the Spey iirc:p😂

All joking aside, it's strange that last time round you guys could fish whilst we couldn't - and now it's the opposite way round.

Back to the thrust of this thread...what harm is a anyone standing in a river, all alone doing? Anyone who thinks that's an issue needs taken oot the back alley and given a swift 'reality check' round the side oh their heid!

lefthandup

Reaction score

You dangerous horrible man....
I never called anyone on here a tax dodger...I stated they missed out .

Wow....what a bitch!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Whatever to happened to ol' Billy Wallace's famous spiel about them never taking your freedom?
We caught him, dragged him about, chopped him up and put his head on a stick

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
You guys are a couple of toppers !!
I have met and fished with you both and really like you both and am sure if you met each other on the river you would get on great.
Both very knowledgeable experienced salmon fishermen who are witty and up for some craic.
Funny what a key board does to you both.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
We caught him, dragged him about, chopped him up and put his head on a stick

Did not know this so I just googled...

“He was hanged, drawn and quartered—strangled by hanging, but released while he was still alive, emasculated, eviscerated and his bowels burned before him, beheaded, then cut into four parts. His preserved head (dipped in tar) was placed on a pike atop London Bridge.”

I mean... that’s harsh.

westie4566

Reaction score
There's nay way I'd be heading down a back alley wi you ... that's a certainty 🤣

And no way are you the type to deliver anyone a 'reality check' round the side of the head either...a gust of wind would have you on your back so I'm told .
You guys are a couple of toppers !!
I have met and fished with you both and really like you both and am sure if you met each other on the river you would get on great.
Both very knowledgeable experienced salmon fishermen who are witty and up for some craic.
Funny what a key board does to you both.

I've no beef at at all with Colin and I'm sure you're right in your assumption Gordon. Whether the same is in reverse is a whole different matter of course.🙄

I reckon it also applies to most on here who bitch and moan at each other...get them on a riverbank and they'd be best mates forever.

After all, the only reason we are all here is our passion for salmon fishing,

Actually, just edit the above to add that I have no desire to ever meet Colin on any riverbank. Yet again he's launched into a misinformed personal attack on me.

Colin, it's not my issue that you cannot grasp what really working for oneself means.

You missed or didn't understand the key sentence in that post you've quoted.

This one

Oh, and that's just from someone who's been self employed, in one way or another for the past 3 decades.

Care to read that again?

As a Director of your own business, you're still self employed...it's just a different legal entity. There's no-one above you to pay your wages. You're still responsible for creating every penny that comes into that business. To pay staff wages and and give HMRC their cut too.

Same applies to changing to SE. I use sub contractors these days when needed, it's more cost effective than staff in the long run.

The sad thing about your latest dig is, you thought you were being so clever....you've just demonstrated to all reading that your clearly not. Just out to be nasty.

Thank God for the ignore function on here, sadly you're now on it.....just as you got binned off FB.

I don't get why any grown man seems to think it's good fun to troll anyone on social media, it only makes them the sad, daft one.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Aye...but I don't lie about how long I've been self employed....

So Westie lost out on a grant because he had less that 3 years accounts but in another thread claims he's been self employed for 3 decades 🤣🤣

Post in thread 'The rise of the celebrity salmon fisher' https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/...e-celebrity-salmon-fisher.218340/post-1245127
I know you're in England...but I suggest you look up 'Defamation of Character'. You just hit the legal jackpot with that post. You have the accusation of me being a liar. I'm not. It's not my fault that you don't understand the various legal entities of self employment.

But the real winner...that's called 'publication'.

You just did that all over an international forum.

For your sake I reported your post and no doubt it will be taken down as the forum owners also understand the legalities involved.

Edited to add that your unfounded, defamatory accusations have been saved by screenshot (y)

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
I know you're in England...but I suggest you look up 'Defamation of Character'. You just hit the legal jackpot with that post. You have the accusation of me being a liar. I'm not. It's not my fault that you don't understand the various legal entities of self employment.

But the real winner...that's called 'publication'.

You just did that all over an international forum.

For your sake I reported your post and no doubt it will be taken down as the forum owners also understand the legalities involved.

Edited to add that your unfounded, defamatory accusations have been saved by screensh
Get your facts right....I can't be bothered with you.

I wonder how many people you have on ignore now...you calling anyone a troll shows just how ignorant you are.

I again have to point out....never did I call anyone on here a tax dodger...

That's probably for the best....no more 'big backend salmon lost on the Tweed ' posts for me to read.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Mind it didnt take long for the lockdown arguments this time
Everyones stressed out but arguing online solves nowt and just goes back and forth for months.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
...Back to the thrust of this thread...what harm is a anyone standing in a river, all alone doing? Anyone who thinks that's an issue needs taken oot the back alley and given a swift 'reality check' round the side oh their heid!

I study/collect water quality data in my spare time and can answer that one. There are 2 things:

Ordinarily I would agree and there's a good chance that this law will be broken (not by me of course :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) especially given the low risk the virus poses.

First that folk standing in the river can see the damage done by PPE and muzzle disposal. My river (v. urban) is big a mess, but there's also 30 years worth of plastics, nappies and panty pads working their way slowly through the drainage too, so the muzzles are outnumbered at present. Synchems (esp soap alternatives - folk should not use them unless only alcohol) are likely to be causing an issue, and you may see the effects (though unlikely as it requires tip top synchem analysis). But they won't want anyone worried about that investigating how bad things are (and worsening)

Second, that CV19 may be viably transported in the sewage water system. (remember it's original presence [before it was suspected] was detected way back in stored sewage laden samples) and of course, as REM did not say:

"Sewage to the river flows...
a fortune for the undertow...
none of this is going my way"

So CV19 is in the river. Presumably there's a heightened chance of catching it from handling contaminated river water, depending on timing. So the authorities will have worked that out.

Allegedly that's one other reason why the "regulators" have actually suspended statutory water quality monitoring... (even though of course the modern synchems aren't routinely tested for).

And the "bad boy" polluters, e.g. the worst, the poorly regulated water companies, are having a field day.

CV19 means the rivers burn, again... and noone is really checking how much by.

Not many reasons for optimism, sadly.