Another Scottish lockdown

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I for one will be travelling to go fishing.
I'm self employed and was forced out to work during the first lockdown as there was no financial help for the self employed for 3 months no money coming in Whatsoever. So when everyone was having long lies getting up watching TV all day and getting paid to do so safe and sound from the virus, I had to go out in it trying to find somewhere to buy materials and doing all the outside jobs I could get my hands on.
I've taken all the precautions I can to keep safe but been out working in it from the start. So telling me that I can't drive 40 mins up the road by myself to fish in a remote part of the country when I've been forced out to work in busy town from the start right through this nightmare ain't gonna wash.
So as long as I can get permits I will be going fishing even if thats outside my local area.
Which will have miles less chance of spreading the virus than what I've been forced to do every day throughout this pandemic.
Days on the water have kept me mentally safe for decades.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I for one will be travelling to go fishing.
I'm self employed and was forced out to work during the first lockdown as there was no financial help for the self employed for 3 months no money coming in Whatsoever. So when everyone was having long lies getting up watching TV all day and getting paid to do so safe and sound from the virus, I had to go out in it trying to find somewhere to buy materials and doing all the outside jobs I could get my hands on.
I've taken all the precautions I can to keep safe but been out working in it from the start. So telling me that I can't drive 40 mins up the road by myself to fish in a remote part of the country when I've been forced out to work in busy town from the start right through this nightmare ain't gonna wash.
So as long as I can get permits I will be going fishing even if thats outside my local area.
Which will have miles less chance of spreading the virus than what I've been forced to do every day throughout this pandemic.
Days on the water have kept me mentally safe for decades.
Just remember, not everyone on furlough got lie ins and watched TV all day. to say so is quite unfair

Lamson v10

Reaction score
No-one is making up their own rules. Quite simply fishing is NOT banned in Scotland or England. As long as it's with your limit. As it happens, when the time comes I can fish well within that.

I merely gave you a scenario and asked which posed the greatest risk.

I'll be on the Clyde tomorrow pestering the life out the grayling 🎣 as I've now not to go back to work until Monday

Lamson v10

Reaction score
As long as you are not (being a really bad boy) wading.

Only in the margins as tight to the bank as I can get as I'll be out wae the trotting rod🎣 but what's wading got to do with it.?

Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I thought we did ok ...in fact I could take another 3 months grant if I want but I'm fully back to work now so by passing this one.
Unless I catch Covid or have to self isolate that will be the situation for me .
You must of been in a position where you could manage fine with zero pay for 3 months then Col.

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
Sorry, Flying Scotsman, but you are being utterly irresponsible. What if you are in a road accident? Then you are endangering police and ambulance crew. I am sorry to say this but if you go forty minutes to go fishing and get caught, well, you deserve all you get. I really really hope you get caught. Have you actually read these twitter feeds from doctors and nurses holding a phone in front of a dying patient while he/she says goodbye to his/her family? We have a niece whose husband is an Italian architect. He has eight friends in Milan who have lost BOTH their parents to Covid. Our daughter has two friends in Brighton, one a GP and the other a nurse. They are both on their knees with exhaustion after treating patients all autumn and now this new variant. In Sussex hospital authorities are pleading with staff on holiday to come into the hospitals and help out.

I thought it was odd that the snow gates were not closed on the A9 during the recent snow falls. Those playing around on ski slopes were being irresponsible too, but I suspect Oor Nicola was too afraid to put police on the gates turning back these dafties.

keirstream

Reaction score
And what is ridiculous about your post is you crazy assumption that all those people went out just to sensationalise the situation, or to jump on to the propaganda bandwagon, what utter rubbish!
And that people like you choose to push it down the throats of other people.
I would remind you that you decided to post and highlight the situation, nobody else.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
I have heard of several cases like the one on the page in the link in the last week or two, youngest being a 32 year old ex marine who appeared fit. So, yes, go fishing, but play within the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

bankwheel

Reaction score
And that people like you choose to push it down the throats of other people.
I would remind you that you decided to post and highlight the situation, nobody else.
Yes I did but it was you who turned fact into fantasy

lefthandup

Reaction score
You must of been in a position where you could manage fine with zero pay for 3 months then Col.
No ...my working hours were reduced due to social distancing thus meaning I was affected by the pandemic.
But I the government have given out 3 grants for the self employed now...I took the first two but as I said I'm fully back to normal so I'm not claiming this 3rd grant.

The only self employed people who were ineligible were the tax Dodgers who never declared previous incomes I believe....but correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited:

picasso

Reaction score
What is absolutely ridiculous about that situation was not the walkers or the fact that they broke "rules"
It was the fact that 108 people climbed on the propaganda bandwagon in order to sensationalize what was essentially a mundane run of the mill hill assist on a technically simple walking hill from people who normally love doing that job.
A normal "rescue" consists of 8-10 members of a team. You very rarely hear these people criticising walkers or climbers unless they are seriously under equipped. Previously it would have been a wee training exercise that passed unnoticed.
W.T.F???
So, here we go again, demonising ordinary folk who take a wee chance and break a rule to indulge in a near solitary sport just because the media and all it's other mouthpieces blow it out of all proportion.
F.F.S., who on here hasn't broken a rule at some point in their lives?
Tell you what Governments are doing, they are stealing our time, our lives.
We can't get that back.😡
And we are all rolling over to have our bellies tickled.

What about the two hill walkers that had to be rescued in Scotland it took 108 people from the rescue service out looking for them. They were fined from the police for the distance traveled and putting all those other people at risk, for me that was a stupid decision by the two individuals

Bankwheel; the rescue involved 25 mountain rescuers over 108 man hours, and as previously stated the walkers where fined for travelling outwith their area and not for their exercise ( which was walking up the Munro ).

Keirstream; most of your points are on the money but the mountain in question is far from a " technically simple walking hill ". The normal walking route up the hill in winter can be an absolute avalanche trap in certain conditions, and it also has some of the best summer and winter climbing in Scotland.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
No ...my working hours were reduced due to social distancing thus meaning I was affected by the pandemic.
But I the government have given out 3 grants for the self employed now...I took the first two but as I said I'm fully back to normal so I'm not claiming this 3rd grant.

The only self employed people who were ineligible were the tax Dodgers who never declared previous incomes I believe....but correct me if I'm wrong!
So you must of been getting paid on the books for the first 3 months then? If not what did you do for money in these 3 months?
The grants i have received are a fraction of what I put through weekly. Nothing like 80% of what I put through closer to 30%.
No matter how you look at it its costing us all thousands and thousands mate

kenny007

Reaction score
Noticed on 2 occasions Police talking to people who were in the countryside walking today. Stay at home seems just uncomprehendable for some. Many seem happy to sit on furlough / work from home and take the money but won't follow the rules.

lefthandup

Reaction score
So you must of been getting paid on the books for the first 3 months then? If not what did you do for money in these 3 months?
The grants i have received are a fraction of what I put through weekly. Nothing like 80% of what I put through closer to 30%.
No matter how you look at it its costing us all thousands and thousands mate
No...I was working,but as a team we split shifts reducing our hours so I was still earning.
Being a sub contractor I'm paid weekly.
The grants I received were great and the first one was bang on 80%.

I'm on a big building site sub contracting nowadays so luckily the pandemic has had literally no affect on me income wise due to the government grants.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score

That's not true (although the dodgers will have got caught out!)

Last time I looked, albeit a good few months ago now, less than 50% of the SE who should have been helped out actually did help and a lot certainly not up to 80%

There were all manner of little loopholes in it that shafted the SE. The biggest being the requirement of 3 years books....so tough if you'd been SE for less than that and been paying your dues.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
No...I was working,but as a team we split shifts reducing our hours so I was still earning.
Being a sub contractor I'm paid weekly.
The grants I received were great and the first one was bang on 80%.

I'm on a big building site sub contracting nowadays so luckily the pandemic has had literally no affect on me income wise due to the government grants.
Ah you were lucky then mate.
All my work nowadays is domestic so working for Mrs Smith etc.
If it wasn't for my pal having a yard full of fencing material that he couldn't use because the sites were shut and sold to me I don't know how I would of survived the first lockdown.
Even then a fence every week or 2 it was hard going, I basically had to pay my apprentice off whos my nephew. He had nothing at all for 3 months because I couldn't work with him with him being in a different house hold.
I have 15 years of SE books and have paid tax every week since I was 16.
When I divided what I got by no of weeks it was meant to cover it worked out less than 30%.