Another Scottish lockdown

Ypres

Reaction score
Restrictions extended to at least end of January. Further restrictions on outdoor meetings and travel. Let’s hope they are not extended into February but I am not holding my breath.
Len

bradan

Reaction score
From the Scot Gov website today.
  • local outdoor recreation, sport or exercise, walking, cycling, golf, or running that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area) as long as you abide by the rules on meeting other households.
Presumably those are only examples and not an exhaustive list of 'exercise'? 🤔

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Unless your local yer fecked.
Be like last year when a load of prime beats on the Tay and other rivers decided to make there own rules up and just...
Kept the beat to themselves

Ypres

Reaction score
From the Scot Gov website today.
  • local outdoor recreation, sport or exercise, walking, cycling, golf, or running that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area) as long as you abide by the rules on meeting other households.
Presumably those are only examples and not an exhaustive list of 'exercise'? 🤔
The heart of the matter is travel for essential purposes only and fishing is by not essential. It is on these grounds that numerous fisheries such as Kinross Trout Fishery had already announced closure till at least the end of the month.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The rest of us are going to be locked up again from Wednesday, with the "you must stay at home" bit reinstated, which looks like fishing might well be screwed, shame we do not have the glorious spring weather to slightly soften the blow!!!!!

westie4566

Reaction score
As usual it’s make your own rules !!!!! For gods get a grip this pandemic kills people so just stay at home and suck it up it’s irresponsible travel and such thats got us into this situation .
Sorry mate, but this is the sort of knee jerk guff that really get's my goat.

Please step back for one moment and engage brain (y)

May I take it that at some point you'll need to go and shop for supplies in your local supermarket? Wow, now that's bleeding dangerous. folk around you, failing to observe social distancing, snorting and sneezing through their masks, if they are wearing them and failing to sanitize their hands.

Compare and contrast that with a load of the guys and gals on here who can get in their car, drive 30-40 miles, spend the whole day fishing by themselves, see no-one, interact with no-one, then get in their car again and drive home again. Utterly zero risk of transmission to themselves or anyone else.

No beef at all with you....but just look at the above scenarios and calculate where the risk is before you demonize folk on here.

For many, the chance of a day out fishing is just the 'tonic' needed to help combat the mental stress caused by the current situation. In fact, even the prospect of looking forward to a day fishing may be the difference between life and death ( see current suicide rates).

Oh, and just in case my reply makes me sound like some sort of serial rule breaker, I'm not! I have a very close friend, one whom I've known for almost 40 years, she's always been like my big sister. Christmas Day was wonderful...you know why? That's the first time I've seen her since pre March lockdown.

We hugged, sat together, ate great food, drank great wine and malts. It was great.

Funny that neither of us have come down with C19.

Stewfish888

Reaction score

May I take it that at some point you'll need to go and shop for supplies in your local supermarket? Wow, now that's bleeding dangerous. folk around you, failing to observe social distancing, snorting and sneezing through their masks, if they are wearing them and failing to sanitize their hands.

Compare and contrast that with a load of the guys and gals on here who can get in their car, drive 30-40 miles, spend the whole day fishing by themselves, see no-one, interact with no-one, then get in their car again and drive home again. Utterly zero risk of transmission to themselves or anyone else.

No beef at all with you....but just look at the above scenarios and calculate where the risk is before you demonize folk on here.

For many, the chance of a day out fishing is just the 'tonic' needed to help combat the mental stress caused by the current situation. In fact, even the prospect of looking forward to a day fishing may be the difference between life and death ( see current suicide rates).

Oh, and just in case my reply makes me sound like some sort of serial rule breaker, I'm not! I have a very close friend, one whom I've known for almost 40 years, she's always been like my big sister. Christmas Day was wonderful...you know why? That's the first time I've seen her since pre March lockdown.

We hugged, sat together, ate great food, drank great wine and malts. It was great.

As I said make up your own rules but if you can afford the fine good for you it’s this kind of attitude that’s got us where we are .

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Have to agree that a day out in the countryside (fishing, walking etc) should pose minimal risk of catching or passing on Covid. A trip to the supermarket must pose a much higher risk than a few weeks of fishing or walking.

bankwheel

Reaction score
What about the two hill walkers that had to be rescued in Scotland it took 108 people from the rescue service out looking for them. They were fined from the police for the distance traveled and putting all those other people at risk, for me that was a stupid decision by the two individuals

kinnaber

Reaction score
Interpretation and self serving application of rules has continued to cost lives . Now that gets my goat ! The first minister has clearly stated Stay at home unless you have an ESSENTIAL need not to . Going fishing ain’t and never will be essential . Stricter law enforcement needs to be applied and demonstrated now .

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
What about the two hill walkers that had to be rescued in Scotland it took 108 people from the rescue service out looking for them. They were fined from the police for the distance traveled and putting all those other people at risk, for me that was a stupid decision by the two individuals
No, they were fined for being outwith their council area.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Interpretation and self serving application of rules has continued to cost lives . Now that gets my goat ! The first minister has clearly stated Stay at home unless you have an ESSENTIAL need not to . Going fishing ain’t and never will be essential . Stricter law enforcement needs to be applied and demonstrated now .
Exercise.
Reading the sea angling pages, they have interpreted the rules as saying you can fish as long as you stay within your council area.

bankwheel

Reaction score
No, they were fined for being outwith their council area.
Sorry that’s what I meant, text wasn’t clear. Guess what I’m saying is that if you leave decisions to individuals they will bend the rules for their own selfish needs

keirstream

Reaction score
What is absolutely ridiculous about that situation was not the walkers or the fact that they broke "rules"
It was the fact that 108 people climbed on the propaganda bandwagon in order to sensationalize what was essentially a mundane run of the mill hill assist on a technically simple walking hill from people who normally love doing that job.
A normal "rescue" consists of 8-10 members of a team. You very rarely hear these people criticising walkers or climbers unless they are seriously under equipped. Previously it would have been a wee training exercise that passed unnoticed.
W.T.F???
So, here we go again, demonising ordinary folk who take a wee chance and break a rule to indulge in a near solitary sport just because the media and all it's other mouthpieces blow it out of all proportion.
F.F.S., who on here hasn't broken a rule at some point in their lives?
Tell you what Governments are doing, they are stealing our time, our lives.
We can't get that back.😡
And we are all rolling over to have our bellies tickled.

goosander

Reaction score

Well said Andy.

westie4566

Reaction score
As I said make up your own rules but if you can afford the fine good for you it’s this kind of attitude that’s got us where we are .
No-one is making up their own rules. Quite simply fishing is NOT banned in Scotland or England. As long as it's with your limit. As it happens, when the time comes I can fish well within that.

I merely gave you a scenario and asked which posed the greatest risk.

riffled hitch

Reaction score

The most sensible post I have seen regarding travel and co19 in many months.

Well said and I for one am in total agreement

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
What is absolutely ridiculous about that situation was not the walkers or the fact that they broke "rules"
It was the fact that 108 people climbed on the propaganda bandwagon in order to sensationalize what was essentially a mundane run of the mill hill assist on a technically simple walking hill from people who normally love doing that job.
A normal "rescue" consists of 8-10 members of a team. You very rarely hear these people criticising walkers or climbers unless they are seriously under equipped. Previously it would have been a wee training exercise that passed unnoticed.
W.T.F???
So, here we go again, demonising ordinary folk who take a wee chance and break a rule to indulge in a near solitary sport just because the media and all it's other mouthpieces blow it out of all proportion.
We can't get that back.😡
You sound like the Karen that got a £60 quid fine when stopped as she headed out of area for a haircut.....then lost the plot when she was stopped a second time on the way home. Gobby Karen got herself a £1000 fine the second time, teehee.

westie4566

Reaction score
You sound like the Karen that got a £60 quid fine when stopped as she headed out of area for a haircut.....then lost the plot when she was stopped a second time on the way home. Gobby Karen got herself a £1000 fine the second time, teehee.
I'm just surprised that gobby Karen managed to find a hairdressers that was open 😂

bankwheel

Reaction score
W.T.F???
We can't get that back.😡
And what is ridiculous about your post is you crazy assumption that all those people went out just to sensationalise the situation, or to jump on to the propaganda bandwagon, what utter rubbish!