Another Oracle question

NZkingchaser

Reaction score
Okay, what's the word on the the the line ratings on the Oracle switch rods, in my case, the 7/8 11ft 4piece, is the rating a 7/8 single hand(making it a #6dh) or is it a true 7/8 double hand? (making it a #8-9 single hand)

NEbody

Reaction score
IMO it’s between the two. The 8/9 seems to like about 27-28g, which is heavier than a single-hand 8/9 and lighter than a double-hand.

Neil W

Reaction score
I use a 390gr on the 8/9 which feels about right. I think that’s 25g. This puts it above a single handed rod but below a double handed. It’s all very confusing and I wish companies would get some standardisation on this complete mess.

CORONA

Reaction score
shakey line

Hi

I have the 8/9 and 7/8 both are the EXP 6 piece, at the minute i have only used the 8/9 and have tried it with a 450 Wulff switch line and it works the rod well However i "think" its maybe a tad to heavy im not really sure to be honest so i am putting it down to my lack of Expepience/knowledge,,ive tried other various heads as well ie skagit/scandi also in different weights with poly leaders and/or Mow Tips, i tend to tinker around and see what works on the day with leader/tippet/fly head weight etc its so confusing but i dont think there is a definitive answer as you need to factor in all sorts of variations including casting style and im no expert.....

i`d say somewhere around the 400 gram mark plus leader/tippet and fly should be ok for me on the 8/9.. i dont get to fish that often so its all about finding my feet and working it out.

If i get a chance to give the 7/8 A Throw i`d say a starting point would probably be around the 300/350 gram mark then figure what works for me when i start to add poly leaders,sink tips,tippet etc etc

it really is a minefield out there with weights of heads and god knows what else ,,its not an exact science although some may disagree.

Try to find a happy medium then add or take away accordingly thats what i do and generally it works..

CORONA

goodwin8288

Reaction score
It depends on how you want to use it my father has both and we use a 400grain on the 7/8 and a 450grain on the 8/9 for spey casting but you would use lighter for overhead casting and maybe lighter again for single hand overhead casting or maybe go in between for mixed casting but an in between line won't work as good as a dedicated line