Another monster salmon from river Utsjoki.

Hansa

Reaction score
Is this the biggest salmon of modern times? Last huge salmon we caught during salmon research was 25kg or little over 55 pounds. This one however was lot larger than that. We are currently making a documentary about Utsjoki salmon research, and we will keep the size of this monster as a secret until our documentary is released. Before release, we will hold a competition on guessing the weight of this monster. Winner gets to fish utsjoki with me as a guide.
Meanwhile, if you are not confident that you will win the competition, you can check out Flyfishing in Finland for info on how to fish Utsjoki.
If you want to see better quality version of this picture, and teaser about upcoming documentary, follow me on facebook: Hans Pieski | Facebook

Attachments

cgaines10

Reaction score
Huge fish, very deep!! hard to guess a weight for me.

Whats the black thing around it's tail?

Hansa

Reaction score
Huge fish, very deep!! hard to guess a weight for me.

Whats the black thing around it's tail?
I had to put a leash on the tail because my fingers couldnt reach to grab it. That and the unvelievable strength of the fish would have made a controlled release impossible.

cgaines10

Reaction score
I had to put a leash on the tail because my fingers couldnt reach to grab it. That and the unvelievable strength of the fish would have made a controlled release impossible.
I can imagine!!

I think 65lb, huge fish.

Richardgw

Reaction score
From the comment about it being much bigger than 55 lbs and looking at its extreme depth, some words from one of the historic books about River Wye fishing comes to mind.

‘certainly over 60, probably over 70 & possibly over 80 lbs.’

These words originally describing the weight when fresh of a huge badly decayed carcass (some inches longer than Ballantine’s fish) found washed up on the river bank.

meyre

Reaction score
Finally a salmon that can down a small seal and a couple of cormorants....

154.83 cm nose to mid-tail ,where flesh stops and fin begins, 93 cm round......46-49 kg.

Can you tell us what it took?

Hansa

Reaction score
Massive!! what kind of gear set up did you use to land it?
This particular salmon was netted during night. I know a handful of people who have caught almost similar size salmons with rods from a boat, but nobody who would have landed them with fly rod. I´m guessing it´s close to impossible to land one with a fly rod.

cgaines10

Reaction score
From the comment about it being much bigger than 55 lbs and looking at its extreme depth, some words from one of the historic books about River Wye fishing comes to mind.

‘certainly over 60, probably over 70 & possibly over 80 lbs.’

These words originally describing the weight when fresh of a huge badly decayed carcass (some inches longer than Ballantine’s fish) found washed up on the river bank.
I've heard a few stories from old anglers who have seen fish bigger than Ballentine's fish, albeit either washed up after a pollution incident or poaching!

I suppose you just never know whats in our rivers today.

I find it difficult to see her back then landing that fish by rod and line.

Greegs

Reaction score
I've heard a few stories from old anglers who have seen fish bigger than Ballentine's fish, albeit either washed up after a pollution incident or poaching!

I suppose you just never know whats in our rivers today.

I find it difficult to see her back then landing that fish by rod and line.
A story that still goes round in Ayrshire is of a notorious local poacher caught a huge fish down the Nith by rod but because he was notorious then no one believed him.

The fish was a fair bit bigger than GBs seemingly.

Could be an old wives tale but you never know..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wafty Cranker

Reaction score
A story that still goes round in Ayrshire is of a notorious local poacher caught a huge fish down the Nith by rod but because he was notorious then no one believed him.

The fish was a fair bit bigger than GBs seemingly.

Could be an old wives tale but you never know..

All true, caught by Jock Wallace at 67lb and witnessed and recorded at Barjarg all on rod and line, never credited to him due to his notoriety, but all very true.

Greegs

Reaction score
What is Ballentines fish? Is that a river, or a dude who caught huge salmon? Any pics and specs?
Georgina Ballantine, she holds the record in Scotland for a rod caught salmon from the river Tay.

neilt

Reaction score
Ballantine’s was 64lb and caught in the river Tay.
That guy is probably a manager of Tay Salmon Fisheries.
The fish was caught in the nets, near Dundee in the river Tay estuary - I believe.

pol_angler

Reaction score
Okay, who cares about 19th century?

Back to competition here and now. I guesstimate this fish at 29kg or 64lbs.