Angling Evolution

Safranfoer

Reaction score

Thoughts:
That lady likes the sound of her own voice a lot. 22 minutes?
She's pretty awesome at fishing.
You have to respect her choices. Not like she needs to prove anything to anyone. Was that Nessie she was snuggling when she was chest high in the water?

Eminem

Reaction score
Hmmm....bit too schmaltzy for me.

I often go riding on my Icelandic pony when things get me down and I need to do some bluesky thinking on the East Ranga :rolleyes::eek:

westie4566

Reaction score
Hmmmm - many thoughts about that clip!

Personally I think it plays right into the hands of the antis - and I think we're on shaky enough ground there already.

Each to their own- but not for me!

smokie999

Reaction score
would I be correct in thinking this is the lady who caused some controversy
over her relationship with a certain elderly gentleman who made a very famous reel

MikeCC

Reaction score
On a slight tangent, her story regarding lyme disease is quite interesting and serves as a reminder to all fishermen or for anyone in the great outdoors about how dangerous a tick bite can be. I know 2 people who suffer chronic lyme, one sadly is a now a cripple. Horrible disease.

Barrarex

Reaction score
Seems to me she has fallen out of love with fishing. Lost the joy. That perfect salmon morning, the well of anticipation, breathless moments when your fly/ lure is swimming through known lies, the 3 lb brownie greedily hoovering up duckfly in front of the boat on Corrib. The devastation at losing a fish, the jelly knees.
I suppose when your passion has taken you to places ultimately responsible for your near death it is easy to lose it. The emotional pain can be much more destructive than the physical.
My advice would be to stop going and hope that the joy returns. Don't going fishing for the memory of that joy.

KVC

Reaction score
A family member was diagnosed with a stroke then MS by Derriford hospital. There dog had died 3 months earlier. After they mentioned to the doctor there dog had died possibly from Lymes he was not concerned and would not do any other tests and basically said get used to MS. So a private appointment was arranged in London. Turns out it was Lymes, 18 months later she is still very poorly but she has had small improvements. There local Doctor and hospital consultant said we do not have a problem with Lymes Disease in this country:mad:

Last edited:

KVC

Reaction score
As for Evolution of angling, she might think that is evolution but for me and many others that is a big backward step. I feel sorry for her with her illness but she is not a good ambassador for angling, I find it hard to watch her films, I would rather watch Robson Green:rolleyes:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
As for Evolution of angling, she might think that is evolution but for me and many others that is a big backward step. I feel sorry for her with her illness but she is not a good ambassador for angling, I find it hard to watch her films, I would rather watch Robson Green:rolleyes:

Someone sent me another of her videos to watch - one with the older reel dude that she says is her best friend and then apparently turned on.

Regardless of the truth of all that - her voice and intonation are both verrrrry annoying.

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
I see the two films as pieces of performance art.

however I fish without a hook point myself sometimes, as she describes the thrill is the strategy, and the take.

I also think that fish are far more intelligent than most people think they are.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I see the two films as pieces of performance art.

however I fish without a hook point myself sometimes, as she describes the thrill is the strategy, and the take.

I also think that fish are far more intelligent than most people think they are.

I can see the appeal in fishing without a point. And with. Different people find joy in different places. I watched the video you posted all the way through because she's a woman and I am interested in female fishers. If it was a man, I'd have turned off after 2 minutes. It's not performance art in my eyes. Very self-indulgent.

smokie999

Reaction score
personally I think the lady although very attractive is a pain in the proverbial, she is very self promoting and the content of videos is not really that good.

ibm59

Reaction score
personally I think the lady although very attractive is a pain in the proverbial, she is very self promoting and the content of videos is not really that good.

I find the lady in question more than a little distasteful , Bob.
And quite frightening into the bargain.

No thanks.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
And quite frightening into the bargain.

YES. Have you seen the film of Roald Dahl's 'The Witches'? The one with Angelica Houston in? They're all very lovely and pleasant and well-mannered - and then...

T

TonyPrior

Cripes!... a poor woman, half dead with Lyme's disease, frightening? C'mon chaps.. :confused:

Perhaps her message is the scary part? :D

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Cripes!... a poor woman, half dead with Lyme's disease, frightening? C'mon chaps.. :confused:

Perhaps her message is the scary part? :D

Half-dead with Lyme's disease = half-alive with evil intent... ;)

Come on... She is a bit scary.

I quite liked her message. Not because I necessarily agree with her, but because I think it's brave and shows she's thinking about what she does and why. She's careful not to condemn the choices of others in her film - it's clear it's a personal journey for her, so as long as she's happy, fine.

But my word it took her a long time to get to the point.

minitube

Reaction score
I once had to tie a fly for her angling show on the street in Westport. The film crew and a few of us went into a bar in Westport afterwards. As normally occurs a local man sang a ballad. She burst into tears crying over the ballad and was sobbing profusely. It wasn't even Shanagolden.

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
individualism and a disregard of time constraint are two worthy enough qualities.

With you on the first part. But there are some people you'd listen to for hours that pass like minutes, and others where every minute feels like its own mini eternity. Relativity, innit.

(Poor Kathryn fisher lady. I'm only arguing the toss because it means I can avoid work for a bit longer...)