Anchoring the Double Spey cast

FHS

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have been watching a number of videos re double spey casts (particularly the Rio clip) but I am not sure if I should be watching the position of the fly or the position of the attachment of the leader to the shooting head when anchoring the cast when practicing?

Also, is it better to practice with a 5ft Hover tip or a 5ft slow sink tip on a 11ft 8/9 wt Switch rod with a 420 grain head?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mc andy

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have been watching a number of videos re double spey casts (particularly the Rio clip) but I am not sure if I should be watching the position of the fly or the position of the attachment of the leader to the shooting head when anchoring the cast when practicing?

Also, is it better to practice with a 5ft Hover tip or a 5ft slow sink tip on a 11ft 8/9 wt Switch rod with a 420 grain head?

Firstly the double spey is a downstream wind cast and can be dangerous if executed with a upstream wind, as the fly will be blowing into your face.

I would be looking at the tip of your flyline and making sure it is below you. Regards which tip to use? I would think it be better using the tip you will most often fish with, as this will help you most in fishing situations.

Cheers andy

Rrrr

Reaction score
I just watch for my fly line comin around. When i see the joint between the polyleader and fly line start to slide back i start my forward cast.
Its what works for me but ive no idea if thats the propper way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Tangled

Reaction score
The idea is to land about a foot or so of the tip of the fly line and all the leader on the water about a rod to a rod and a half length in front and to right of you. (Assuming a right handed cast.)

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

When you finish setting up your loop in preparation for the forward cast, the Anchor should be 1-1.5 rod lengths away from you and aligned to your target.

Personally I find the best thing to watch is initially the end of the fly line. When you move the line upstream, drop the end of the fly Line 1-1.5 rod lengths from you.

When you sweep back downstream to set up the d-loop, then watch the line peeling off the water and the little tail of spray created.

When you have finished the sweep, your body should be aligned to the target & you will have have moved the rod up into the correct position. At this point, the line will have stopped peeling off the water, your D loop will be formed and you can step into the forward stroke.

Or watch this video from somebody who knows what they are doing:

Birkin

Reaction score
All I would add to GK's post above is when you finish the sweep the fly line should be in a straight line. If there is still some of the line upstream of the anchor the cast will not be as successful so make sure your sweep is round enough before lifting into the casting position.