Amnesia Running Line

pond.olive

Reaction score
I'm still using 40lb red Amnesia this season, on the few occasions that there has been enough water to cast over. I note that with less frequent use, stretching the stuff becomes more necessary. This is not difficult and if I get into the water not having stretched the whole length tied to something substantial, it is easy enough to stretch it an arms length at a time from the reel. It shoots really well, hardly tangles. I allow the retrieved line to float downstream as the cast draws it from the water beautifully, the slight resistance thus allowing the loop to straighten as it falls. What's not to like?

TL
Richard

Gibbo

Reaction score
Hi Gibbo
is that 40 or 50lb that your using??
thanks Riverman

Sorry Riverman never noticed your question. I use 30lb green for both salmon and trout shooting heads. I have never had a problem with it. I only use the green so that I can see it easily and follow my line throughout the cast. when making long casts in a good flow I hold it in big loops ( about 5-6ft). It goes out without any fuss. In no flow I just drop it in the water and the wee bit resistance from the water holds it back enough to turn the head over. I can cast long distances like this but I always ensure the line hits the reel before the line lands on the water.

Ben-Macdui

Reaction score
Amnesia loops.

I just looped my 40lb Amneisia using perfection loop and covering with a stonfo knot cover well it was a struggle to get the line and knot tail through the Knot cover which was a size 1. then slid a bit oh braid sleeve over the tail and glued. finished by needle knotting some braid and a tad oh glue.

Just wondering what others do as i aint used Amneisia before :confused::confused:
P1010104.jpg

Strathglass

Reaction score
Just wondering what others do as i aint used Amneisia before :confused::confused:

Big perfection loop, leave around 3 inches of tag end uncut. Done.

Looks a bit strange and you usually get few comments from people thinking you've done something wrong but the tag end folds back nice and smoothly when the loop hits the rod rings. Give it a try with a wee spare bit if you have some left over...

Ben-Macdui

Reaction score
Big perfection loop, leave around 3 inches of tag end uncut. Done.

Looks a bit strange and you usually get few comments from people thinking you've done something wrong but the tag end folds back nice and smoothly when the loop hits the rod rings. Give it a try with a wee spare bit if you have some left over...

I will do that next time if it fires through the guides okay. that is why a fked about the the stonfo covers.

ta

Ben-Macdui

Reaction score
Just went to the local rugger pitch and stretched hell oot oh the amnesia fairly takes the coils oot if you tie it to a post and pull like hell.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Hi Gibbo
thanks Riverman

Sorry for the delay riverman. I use 30lb. Have no problem with it.You do get the odd tangle with it but no more than any of the branded running lines. It will start to kink but I usually get six months to a year before I have to chop of 20 yards. As pointed out on other posts it casts well so sometimes the head is out before the running line can create enough resistance to turn over the head. All I do is make sure the line hits the reel on the forward cast and it turns everything over fine. In fairness I only fish the big rivers and this set up does me fine. On a smaller river you probablr don't need a distance shooting head.

rodbender

Reaction score
i tried amnesia 30lb and thought it would be memory free "amnesia" it came off the reel like a bunch of coil springs.

I now take back what I said about amnesia! I am now using the 40lb b.s. black amnesia and finding it great! I give it a stretch every now and again and had no problems with tangles and if you leave enough of it trailing in the water it helps to turn over my shooting heads and skagits` fine.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I also started using the black 40lb Amnesia. It's the best mono I have used to date. Nice diameter for handling and no tangles. Only using it for distance with bigger rods.
Great tip from Strathglass on leaving the end long on the Loop as it makes a big difference.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

Tim1984

Reaction score
Hi folks,
i've just purchased a 40lbs Amnesia black as running line, years ago i tried the red one but i had bad experiences.. the black seems different , i spent a day casting and i found it very good, it runs really through the rings and it is memory free ..don't know if it would be in the same conditions after months of fishing ..does anybody on board with more experience with this stuff tell me if it is only a my sensation or the black Amnesia is really different ?
Hi how did you put loops in it?

Gibbo

Reaction score
Hi Gibbo
thanks Riverman
I use the 30lb for salmon. Its thin but very rarely tangles. When it does it falls out easy as other running lines do. It will start to kink over time leading to tangles more often, But it will last a long time, as I said before cheap as chips when it starts to annoy you cut of 20yds and retie. I think its about £5-6 per 75-100m For the money its worth trying and see if you like it, It is thin but you get used to it and on the big rivers like the Tay it will give you extra yards easily. When you hook a fish you play it of the reel anyway so thinness is irrelevant.

Gibbo

Reaction score
I use the 30lb for salmon. Its thin but very rarely tangles. When it does it falls out easy as other running lines do. It will start to kink over time leading to tangles more often, But it will last a long time, as I said before cheap as chips when it starts to annoy you cut of 20yds and retie. I think its about £5-6 per 75-100m For the money its worth trying and see if you like it, It is thin but you get used to it and on the big rivers like the Tay it will give you extra yards easily. When you hook a fish you play it of the reel anyway so thinness is irrelevant. You can get it in black red and green. I use the bright green because it is a little easier to see it in the water as I like to track my line as it swings round.