Amnesia Running Line

foggie13

Reaction score
Hi all, been thinking about buying some Amnesia 30lbs running line saw it on EBay and is alot cheaper than alot of the other lines out there. Have any of the lads on the forum had any experience with this line? Thoughts and comments if any .

Cheers

Grey Monkey

Reaction score
What I use is the rear end of a " Mill End " ....weight forward 5 or 6 line

floater. Easy to keep in the hand and seldom tangles.....gives me

enough distance on my river.

I have used purpose made running line but find them very thin ( too thin for

me) .......and inclined to wrap around itself....

Eminem

Reaction score
Fit like Foggie13?
Here's my tuppenceworth. I recently experimented with the Rio Slickshooter mono lines in attempt to get extra distance, especially for the ADAA Dee waters.

Withut any shadow of doubt I gained some extra yardage however the loops were more unstable with good presentation and soft landings much harder to achieve. Have since gone back to the Scierra and Rio shooting lines and I am much happier with things.

The mono shooting lines are very cheap indeed and it could be interesting for you to do a wee experiment yourself to see what you think...each to their own and all that.

All the best, Eminem :)

longchuck

Reaction score
mono running lines do not creat enough drag through the rod rings .
although it might give you that extra couple of yards, there is not enough drag to stabalise the head and give good turnover
i would stick with the rio-- guideline {etc}
presentation to me is more important than distance

Fruin

Reaction score
If you do go down the route of mono running lines - choose something in 50lbs b.s. or over to get a bit more drag and easier handling. I supple co-polymer shock leader is a good choice.

Rennie

Reaction score
Amnesia is good stuff,but not for this application.Try conventional running lines of the floating type,should proove more beneficial to you.I use Amnesia on my BIIIGGG Tay shooting heads but thats a different application and its the dogs danglies.Good luck,Pedro.

ubbi

Reaction score
i tried with a 30 lbs but it is too thin for handle well, better a 50lbs IMO, but often it wraps around itself ..better the conventional running ..for me Ken Sawada is outstanding

RUSH

Reaction score
i bought penn solar shock leader 40lb a couple of weeks ago whipped a loop on it great stuff to use good colour to see and all for £4.95 for 50 yards

rodbender

Reaction score
amnesia

i tried amnesia 30lb and thought it would be memory free "amnesia" it came off the reel like a bunch of coil springs.

Scanny

Reaction score
I use 40lb mono on the Tay for two reasons:

Distance -"wanging it out"

Water Drag - coated lines can start to get tedious managing them when nipple deep with a lot of running line out. Mono loops break the surface film far easier. In this scenario the tension on the running line as you shoot gives drag (too much, albeit less than a coated line) during the cast for stability.

It has it's place.

Last edited:

pond.olive

Reaction score
I've been using Amnesia 40lbs this year and have found it quite good. I haven't noticed the non drag issue mentioned above and the initial coils are easily dealt with a bit of a stretch and I don't even need to stretch it every outing. I have had fewer casting tangles, though when they do occur, they can take some untangling. Another plus is that I find it less necessary to hold coils when casting. Perhaps the drag from the running line downstream has solved the first issue?

TL
Richard

Fly-Tom

Reaction score
Hi,

this is of course only my opinion but I think the amnesia running line is probably one of the worst running lines you can get.

However I found another use for it...... since the stuff is quite stiff and has such a bad memory you will never be able to get out of this line, it is perfect for feelers etc on flies that need to be a little curved, like here:

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread34955.html

regards,
Tom

speyboy

Reaction score
amnesia

Hi all, been thinking about buying some Amnesia 30lbs running line saw it on EBay and is alot cheaper than alot of the other lines out there. Have any of the lads on the forum had any experience with this line? Thoughts and comments if any .

Cheers

i have this its good, not so easy to buy in my country.
i have try olso the 47 lb varivas in norway last week, its bether i think
but ther ar mono lines , knots in this always posible.
in this case i have try every thing.
if you like long cast 40 mtr or more, try this mono lines.
short cast bether take thicker running line.
tight lines

Gibbo

Reaction score
Have used amnesia for around 10 years. never had a problem with it. Strech it and the memory disapears. Eventually It will start to kink, then just chop the front 20 yards of and throw it away. It's cheap as chips at £3.00ish for 100 yards. I only use the bright green one which is getting a bit harder to find in the Uk. The other mono I use is stren. Bob Church used to do this but it is getting hard to find as well.

Steve99

Reaction score
i tried with a 30 lbs but it is too thin for handle well, better a 50lbs IMO, but often it wraps around itself ..better the conventional running ..for me Ken Sawada is outstanding

Ken Sawada Flat Beam is my vote for shooting head use! Guideline running line is also recommendable.

Tight-lines
Steve

paddymc

Reaction score
Ken Sawada Flat Beam is my vote for shooting head use! Guideline running line is also recommendable.

Tight-lines
Steve

Is it the floating version that you recommend, or the intermediate one ?

Riverman

Reaction score
Have used amnesia for around 10 years. never had a problem with it. Strech it and the memory disapears. Eventually It will start to kink, then just chop the front 20 yards of and throw it away. It's cheap as chips at £3.00ish for 100 yards. I only use the bright green one which is getting a bit harder to find in the Uk. The other mono I use is stren. Bob Church used to do this but it is getting hard to find as well.
Hi Gibbo
is that 40 or 50lb that your using??
thanks Riverman

Steve99

Reaction score
.... it's the yellow Flat Beam Super 35 lbs intermediate version Running line I'm using.

Tight-lines
Steve

ubbi

Reaction score
Hi folks,
i've just purchased a 40lbs Amnesia black as running line, years ago i tried the red one but i had bad experiences.. the black seems different , i spent a day casting and i found it very good, it runs really through the rings and it is memory free ..don't know if it would be in the same conditions after months of fishing ..does anybody on board with more experience with this stuff tell me if it is only a my sensation or the black Amnesia is really different ?

Grahama

Reaction score
Greased weasel

I have used drennan greased weasel on single handed rods with shooting heads and its good , I have just spooled up some 40lb on a reel to go with a Scandi line . For distance casting it takes some beating .
Doesn't have much memory after stretching and attached via braided loop whipped onto the end , it is easy to melt a blob at the end of it to stop it slipping .

mc andy

Reaction score
Hi folks,
i've just purchased a 40lbs Amnesia black as running line, years ago i tried the red one but i had bad experiences.. the black seems different , i spent a day casting and i found it very good, it runs really through the rings and it is memory free ..don't know if it would be in the same conditions after months of fishing ..does anybody on board with more experience with this stuff tell me if it is only a my sensation or the black Amnesia is really different ?

i have certainly been advised to buy the black as it was better than the rest. i can't say i noticed any difference from casting the green 30lb stuff or can i see how one would be different from the other:confused: but who know's:cool:

Last edited: