also weird and wonderful

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've **** myself before with a fox screaming. They can sound so human like sometimes. Sounded like somebody being murdered. Chilled me to the bone.
There loads of them about my bit and I'm on the out skirts of a city. I've come home at night to see one sitting on my neighbours gate post just watching my van until my jack russel hangs out the window going off his nut
Seen it there a few times.
Found out my neighbour feeds them
We get them in the woods opposite my house and the things are really loud at times.

I rekon if i heard lions and tigers in the woods i would be moving house

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
I've **** myself before with a fox screaming. They can sound so human like sometimes. Sounded like somebody being murdered. Chilled me to the bone.
There loads of them about my bit and I'm on the out skirts of a city. I've come home at night to see one sitting on my neighbours gate post just watching my van until my jack russel hangs out the window going off his nut :LOL:
Seen it there a few times.
Found out my neighbour feeds them
Lol me too. Once heard a fox and a heron in an almighty tangle. Sounded bloody awful.
I do understand why night fishing isn’t for everyone lol.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Lol me too. Once heard a fox and a heron in an almighty tangle. Sounded bloody awful.
I do understand why night fishing isn’t for everyone lol.
I've seen a crow and a peregrine falcon having a square go.
In the air talons locked together spinning around and around. He'll of a racket too.
I heard the sea guls going off there nut doing a roof over the road from my house last week.
I looked up to see what the fuss was about.
Massive sea Eagle flew past. Theyre no graceful in the air like a kite or osprey they are cumbersome looking buggers. With an exaggerated flap.
Its the second time I've seen one fly over my house.
There was a pair of them released in tentsmuir forest a few years back which is just over the other side of the Tay estuary from me.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
There was also the legend of the beast of Bodmin moor in Cornwall in the 1980’s/ 1990’s. I used to have a season ticket on colliford a lake on Bodmin moor when I lived in Plymouth about that time. One very still foggy morning I was fishing away when suddenly all the many sheep in the area started to make very alarmed and paniced noises and all came towards me en masse. It definitely wasn’t my ‘lynx’ aftershave but those sheep bunched up and came so close to me that I couldn’t move. They were quite literally terrified. I must admit the hairs on the back of my neck went up as visibility was about 10yards. Talking to the farmer he had found several dead sheep over that time with just the their necks eaten and was convinced it was a big cat.

greenhut

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a friend who lives on Alnwick and he used to work for an entertainments company and spent a lot of the time on the road, and when he was returning from a show in Scotland very early one one morning, he saw a very large black cat run across the A697 somewhere north of Powburn. He reckoned it was the size of a puma. This would have been about 10 years ago.
Well, I was heading towards powburn where I work and it was just before we turned onto the A697, canny coincidence that ??

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
There was also the legend of the beast of Bodmin moor in Cornwall in the 1980’s/ 1990’s. I used to have a season ticket on colliford a lake on Bodmin moor when I lived in Plymouth about that time. One very still foggy morning I was fishing away when suddenly all the many sheep in the area started to make very alarmed and paniced noises and all came towards me en masse. It definitely wasn’t my ‘lynx’ aftershave but those sheep bunched up and came so close to me that I couldn’t move. They were quite literally terrified. I must admit the hairs on the back of my neck went up as visibility was about 10yards. Talking to the farmer he had found several dead sheep over that time with just the their necks eaten and was convinced it was a big cat.
Creepy story that mate. Made the hairs on my neck stand up reading it.
You must of really laid one :LOL:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I'm sceptical about big cat sightings is, to my knowledge, no-one has produced a body.
I live in a strong shooting area. There are dozens of such areas throughout the country. Night lamping is carried out regularly to keep the fox population down. Roe deer are shot from high seats. Dawn and dusk are good times. Perfect for spotting a cat on the prowl.
Would you shoot a big cat? I think most people would. Beautiful as they are, they are aliens and not particularly advantageous to our countryside.
When lamping, a big cat would almost certainly act like a very wary fox. It would give you a wide berth, move fairly quickly and probably pause a couple of times to look at you from cover. You see every type of animal at night,(lots of barn owls too). With experience you know a fox from it's actions and reactions. Night vision sights, which a lot of people now use, makes it even easier. Just with a lamp, I think the eyes of a big cat and its' movements would give you no doubt it was a fox. You would take the shot.
Given the number of people out lamping, deer stalking or night vision shooting, someone should surely have come up with a body by now, shot intentionally or by accident.
t.c.
[/QUOTE

I was talking about this with a gamekeeper friend. He pointed out that many folks might be concerned about their firearms certificate, if they shot a big cat, as each rifle owned has to be for a specified purpose. Obviously, shooting big cats is not one of them. He knows a couple of forest rangers who were faced with that very dilemma, while out night shooting deer under licence. They had a big cat in their spotlight but it made its escape while they debated whether they should shoot it or not. They were concerned, if they had, it might have caused them unwanted legal issues.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Not a big cat by any means , but there was a Serval cat found dead on Greenlaw moor in the borders a good few years ago now.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I think its been a little cat! Seen by a LHU with a big imagination ??????
No...it was in the local paper..The berwickshire news...I ever physically saw it....I've saw all the big cats in Africa from Kruger.. Serengeti , Ngorongoro and Tsavo though... amazing animals.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I've seen a crow and a peregrine falcon having a square go.
In the air talons locked together spinning around and around. He'll of a racket too.
I heard the sea guls going off there nut doing a roof over the road from my house last week.
I looked up to see what the fuss was about.
Massive sea Eagle flew past. Theyre no graceful in the air like a kite or osprey they are cumbersome looking buggers. With an exaggerated flap.
Its the second time I've seen one fly over my house.
There was a pair of them released in tentsmuir forest a few years back which is just over the other side of the Tay estuary from me.
Don’t they call em Barn doors or something on Mull? Cause it’s literally like having a barn door in terms of size fly over ones head.

carma2

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I left school, I lived near Duns. On a local hill farm, the farmers daughter was having a coffee with the shepherds wife in her cottage. The shepherds wife was looking out the window, when she said, “blimey, look at the size of that fox”. The farmers daughter had a look and said “that’s not a ***** Fox, It’s massive!” The animal then proceeded down the field and started chasing a large Suffolk tup. This then gave them a good idea of its size. The daughter told me that it was reddish brown in colour, about the same height as her parents Doberman but much longer and it’s tail was about the length of its body. It was obviously a puma. She ran to get her father, but by the time he got there with his gun it had gone.
I also know someone in Lanarkshire who saw one twice, in the same spot, crossing a quiet country road very early in the morning. The first time he saw it, he started to question what he had actually seen. The second time, he got a really good look, as it actually stopped right in front of him, in the middle of the road and looked straight at him, before leaping up the banking and over the fence. He said it was 100% a puma, but did not report it, as he said everyone would have been out trying to hunt it down.
I am just glad I was with my mate,I said the same thing , thats a big fox , 100% puma .

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Just to go further down the rabbit hole I find the subject of cryptozoology quite fascinating (sure there are a fair few accounts that sound like complete dog dirt but in amongst that are a fair few that sound plausible), If there's any truth in these things then big cats will seem like a sunday school picnic ;)

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Anybody from America or Canada is probably laughing reading this thread ! Wherever you walk in the "wilderness" areas over there, there is a very good chance that you will walk very close to a bear, wolf or mountain lion. Or a moose.

simoncassidy

Reaction score
About 10yrs ago I was out early heading to fish, Driving along by a stubble field I spotted what I thought initially was a black Ladrador.I stopped for a closer look.The animal stopped and turned to look at me and just took off and disappeared out throught a ditch. To this day I am convinced it was a Puma, Made a few enquiries at the time and got a few credible responses of other sightings further North in Ireland. Big cats cats can cover long distances while hunting at night so it is possible. Allegedly a Puma escaped from a private zoo in Northern Ireland at some time.

lefthandup

Reaction score
About 10yrs ago I was out early heading to fish, Driving along by a stubble field I spotted what I thought initially was a black Ladrador.I stopped for a closer look.The animal stopped and turned to look at me and just took off and disappeared out throught a ditch. To this day I am convinced it was a Puma, Made a few enquiries at the time and got a few credible responses of other sightings further North in Ireland. Big cats cats can cover long distances while hunting at night so it is possible. Allegedly a Puma escaped from a private zoo in Northern Ireland at some time.
Pumas aren't black though.

D

Dunbar

There’s been one or two documented sightings in the East Lammermuirs where I stay - not recent though. One in particular around Innerwick a while ago seemed quite credible. This film of a cougar stalking a walker is worth a watch, but not for the faint hearted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lefthandup

Reaction score
There’s been one or two documented sightings in the East Lammermuirs where I stay - not recent though. One in particular around Innerwick a while ago seemed quite credible. This film of a cougar stalking a walker is worth a watch, but not for the faint hearted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting how he handles the situation...good/bad ?

would anyone on here have done anything different ?

Of course it's easy sitting watching that than being there in person...I'll keep my thoughts for now .